Author Topic: Old Search- Library edition Ancestry  (Read 7095 times)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Old Search- Library edition Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 April 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Andy  :)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 April 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
It seems a little less annoying if you use "exact matches" on the "advanced search", but I still prefer the previous Library Edition "Old search".

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 April 11 23:33 BST (UK) »

I don't like it either and we're not in the minority.

Hmmm.  Ancestry has something like 1½ million subscribers.
I have a horrible feeling that those who prefer the old search might be in the minority.

:-\
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thats as maybe but I dont think Ancestry listen to their subscribers anyway......... they just go ahead and do what they want, like most companies.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 April 11 04:07 BST (UK) »
I see I'm not the only one who spent considerable time at the library today trying to get back to the old search. It doesn't seem too bad though, nothing we can't get used to. Just make sure you have "Match all terms exactly" checked, and you will get the exact same results as on the old search.

It's easy to be antagonist towards Ancestry for making these changes, but I'm sure they are trying to improve the experience of their customers contrary to how you might feel now. I think they are very generous in the first place offering such a widespread library access to all of their records - something which very few sites do these days.

So I think we had just better get used to it. Now that all (library) users have to use this new interface, hopefully they will pay more attention to what people think about it. I'm optimistic anyway.

Alexander

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 April 11 12:58 BST (UK) »

Personally I'm not an 'antagonist' towards Ancestry, I think what they have done generally in providing easier access to FH records for everyone is great.

However, 'improvements' to computer systems which make it harder to do something are not a good idea, especially when the option to revert to the old or legacy method is removed.  A couple of extra clicks might not seem significant to most people, but anyone with a disability (RSI anyone?) might take a very different view.  Library computer access is usually also time-limited, so increasing the difficulty of doing something means users can do less in a day.

Koromo's first post on this thread shows that both the old and new search methods can co-exist for subscribers, so why not for library users?