Author Topic: Robert Burton b.1837 Coggeshall  (Read 2834 times)

Offline lynda123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Robert Burton b.1837 Coggeshall
« on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I am hoping someone can help me solve a mystery with regard to Robert Burton b.1837 in Coggeshall.
My connection is through Robert who was the son of James and Maria Burton. He is with them on 1851 census and I also found a baptism for him in 1837 when I visited Essex Records Office.
I then found what I thought was him on subsequent census records, married to Elizabeth. Certainly he is shown as living in Robins Bridge Rd which is where a lot of my other Burtons lived.
However, the only marriage record I can find is for Robert Burton (B.1837) marrying Elizabeth Newman 28th April 1860 in Coggeshall. The problem with this record is that his father is recorded as Isaac Burton and the witnesses are Joseph Burton and Sarah Parmeter - none of whom are in my tree! (I did notice that a Sarah Parmeter is living a few doors from Robert and Elizabeth in the 1861 census. )
The Robert and Elizabeth that I found on the census had their first child in 1859 so it may be that there is another marriage out there somewhere. However I looked at the microfiche for Coggeshall marriages when I visited Essex Records yesterday and no others came up.
Also, I cannot find an Isaac Burton living in Coggeshall so not sure where he fits in.

If anyone can offer any further suggestions I would be most grateful

Lynda
Cawte in Hampshire England and Nelson Bays area of New Zealand.
Gower in Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire. Lampard in  Kent and Australia
Burton in Coggeshall Essex
Rooke
Jackson

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Burton b.1837 Coggeshall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda

How clear was the name?  Freebmd, Ancestry and FindMyPast have this marriage transcribed as BARTON.

The Robert Burton in 1861 RG09/1109/95/7 certainly looks like the same one as in 1851 - pob, date and occupation all match.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 April 11 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can confirm or eliminate the actual marriage by obtaining one of the children's birth certificates which will confirm their mother's maiden name. Do the children's baptisms occur after the date of the marriage? The first possible birth registration looks after?

Births Dec 1860  BURTON  Sarah    Witham  4a 276

Traditional naming patterns, if the family were following them, mean the first born son was named for his paternal grandfather. On the 1861 census the couple's first son was called James.

Is the marriage record that you have seen from the actual church register? It could mean the parish clerk was having a bad day and incorrectly wrote the father's name. If you have access to the registers it might be worth noting how many marriages took place that day. Is the witnesses' name clearly written as Joseph not Jos or Jas?

On the 1901 census Robert's wife Elizabeth appears to have died and 62 year old Robert has married a younger wife, Alice aged 39. Alice has her daughter Alice Anderton with them.

On this marriage who is named as Robert's father?

Marriages Sep 1895   
Anderton  Alice     Braintree  4a 1003   
Burton  Robert     Braintree  4a 1003

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynda123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Valda and Jan,

You have both given me something to think about!

I am fairly certain that the surname on the microfiche copy of the register was Burton. There was the entry for the groom's name, the entry for the dad's name and the entry for the groom's signature and they all looked like Burton to me.
I cannot remember offhand whether the witness name was Joseph or just Jos or Jas. However, I am going back to Essex Records office next week so this time I will try to get a photocopy of the image so that I can study it in more detail.
I didn't realise that Robert had remarried so that will be a good line to follow. Again I will check when I go back to ERO next week.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Lynda
Rooke
Jackson

Offline lynda123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
I have just checked back on my notes which I made on a previous visit to the ERO and found this entry for Sarah Burton
 1859 17 Oct Baptism Coggeshall, Essex, UK recorded in original parish register held at Essex Records Office. Parents shown as Robert Burton and Elizabeth Newman, unmarried at time of baptism.
This would fit in with the marriage I found for Robert and Elizabeth which took place on 28th April 1860.
So we are still left with the mystery of Isaac and possibly Joseph Burton. I cannot find Isaac on the 1851 but he could be mistranscribed.

Lynda
Rooke
Jackson

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Check for the second marriage in the Coogleshall registers and see what details it gives. It might help discount the first as a clerical error and there is actually no Issac Burton (what is the name of Elizabeth's father on the marriage entry - has the clerk accidentally transposed the fathers' names)? It doesn't look like it from the 1851 census where her father's name is given as Charles?

1901 census RG13 1724 folio 40
Queen Street Great Coggleshall
Robert Burton 62 Head Married Farm Labourer Coggleshall
Alice Burton 39 Wife Married Charwoman Coggleshall
Alice Anderton 17 Daughter Coggleshall

Deaths Dec 1891  Burton  Elizabeth  53  Braintree  4a 329

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynda123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

I checked all the marriages in Coggeshall yesterday, going up to 1914 and didn't spot that marriage in 1895. Maybe they married in a registry office or another church but I will certainly try to follow that one up.

Thanks again for your help

Lynda
Rooke
Jackson

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
There is an Isaac Burton in Harwich in 1861

RG09/1094/28/20   Lower Dovercourt, Dovercourt, Harwich

Isaac Burton  42   Clerk to district  ??? coastguard            Badgeworth Thorps
Frances Burton 42 wife to coastguard                               Lostwithiel Cornwall
Fanny Burton  6                                                                  Faton Hants
Isaac Burton  4                                                                  Lewes
Elizabeth Burton 1                                                             Brighton

I cant see any connection though
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynda123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking for me Jan.

I think that is unlikely to be the Isaac I am looking for because they all stayed in the Coggeshall area for around 100 years.  I have copied over the information though, because you never know!

Lynda
Rooke
Jackson