Author Topic: Creighton - Roscommon to US  (Read 13020 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Creighton - Roscommon to US
« Reply #45 on: Friday 15 April 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Fran,

Yes, thats why I have been trying to look at all the other Creightons because nothing is tying in so far - there was a Thomas Creighton married to a Catherine Ford but I could'nt find a birth for a Thomas to tie him to them - only a Michael T born 1862, Some of the Thomas Creighton and Catherine Ford children were in Illinois  ???

Regards
Sandra

ADDED:- Unfortunately I have now found a Thomas born to that couple in Mayo but 1868 - under Creaton !!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 15 April 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
I knew I could redeem myself :) from IFHF Webiste, someone got this for me and i found it among my souveniers lol
Thomas Cretan married Mary McGarry in Frenchpark, co. roscommon in 1873.  This is the father of thomas 1882 (as we will call him).  Thomas who married mcgarry, his father was Edward.  doesn't help in our thomas 1882 or thomas 1860 mystery but just wanted to let you know I am trying lol

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 15 April 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Ok.  So is it worth investigating Edward Creighton/Creaton who married Marie Moffatt/Moffitt - a number of baptisms -  RC Loughglynn. Roscommon. Ireland.  ???

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 15 April 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
I think perhaps we should and give poor Thomas 1852 and Thomas 1882 a rest until our heads are clear  I may be able to tie in Edward if I had more info, you're very kind to do this 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 15 April 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Fran

Sorry to say but think the US angle is drawing a blank now - might be worth exploring earlier generations of Creighton family to make the links - you can always come back to this thread when you have further information.

Maidir le
n-éirí leat
Sandra  ;)

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 15 April 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Sandra
Would you recommend a new post on IRISH board then for Edward?  Thank you so much for your help, it has been insightful and i have tied down a good bit of info.  You really don't know how much i appreciate it.
Fran

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 18 April 11 00:31 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 03 September 16 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran,
I am interested in a connection you mentioned:
Michael Creighton (1823 - 1915) married to Anne Gara (1832 - ?) who had a son Thomas born 1852.
I trying to link my family tree to one of three Creighton's from the same area in Roscommon.
The above Michael Creighton - has been suggested to me by others as being the father and mother of my great grandmother Winifred Creighton who was married to Thomas Grogan.
As well as they having a son Thmas born 1852, they also had Jacob 1853, Roger 1857, Mary 1861, and Winifred 1862 (possibly my great-grandmother).
I had been leaning towards an Andrew Creighton who was married to Maria Mannion and among their children was another Winifred born 1861.
The third was Jacob Creighton who was married to Maria Sweeney and again there was a child born to them called Winifre in 1857.
So easy to get swayed from one to the other.
All three were in the Loughglynn area and were Roman Catholic entries.
There was also an Edward Creighton who married Mary Moffit and a Thomas Creighton who was married to a Catherine Ford, although neither were listed with a Winifred thank goodness or it would be even harder.
Obviously a very common name in the mid 19th centure in the area of Loghglynn and surrounding townlands and perhaps all cousins.
Going back one generation further you would possibly encounter a similar trend as the father's of these Creighton's quite possibly cousins also. Where does it end?
However, having said all of that, I would be very interested in any info you have on the above mentioned Michael Creighton and Anna Gara.
I found an Anna O'Gara born 20/3/1824 with a father Edmond O'Gara and mother Margaret McGlyn.
Also an entry for Griffith's Valuations for a Michael Creighton in the towland of Aghadrestan, civil parish of Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark, and poor law union of Castlerea.