Author Topic: Thomas Bowles-b c1826 Norwich  (Read 13127 times)

Offline Sally_29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bowles-b c1826 Norwich
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Thanks for all the info -  I think John - if he is "Jaen" which seems likely - must have been born 1832/1833 - its just from his ages on various later documents give a range between 1828 and 1834! However from the documented birth dates of his other siblings some of these can be ruled out. However as no two of his siblings seem to have been baptised in the same parish I guess its "just" a case of buckling down to go through all the images for all the parishes in that area of Norwich!

However it is clear that Edmund and Ethelinda were both John & Judith's parents, and seems likely that Edmund was the Yarmouth son of Thomas and Mary.Thanks for finding the marriage of Thomas' parents Edward and Elizabeth - but there still isn't the "Day" there. I'm wondering if that, like the Rainford might have come from the maternal side but I've had no success in tracing Ethelinda's family

Regards

Sally
Norfolk : Bowles, Brock, Goulder, Hindle, Mace, Minns, Morton, Newman, Pigg, Reeve, Wayling
Suffolk : Canham 
Cornwall/Devon : Box, Bray, Brock, Nankwell, Townsend, Veale

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
Another little snippet - Henry Nelson b1861 son of Chris & Judith died in 1862.

Bob
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline Sally_29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
Bob,

I've been going through the baptism records for St Nicholas Church, Yarmouth 1813 -1816, looking for more Bowles babies and have noticed a couple of "Day" surnames too - although none connected to Bowles that I can see so far. There must be some connection though.

Sally

Norfolk : Bowles, Brock, Goulder, Hindle, Mace, Minns, Morton, Newman, Pigg, Reeve, Wayling
Suffolk : Canham 
Cornwall/Devon : Box, Bray, Brock, Nankwell, Townsend, Veale

Offline ljmusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 May 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hello all descendants of Thomas Bowles!

I am writing a book on Great Yarmouth Borough Gaol and in particular on the work of the prison visitor Sarah Martin with inmates. A memoir of Sarah's life was published after her death and this contains extracts from her journals. One of these includes her account of a conversation with Thomas, following his release from gaol (pp. 130-2). You can read the account here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Wmo4AAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=sarah+martin+prison+visitor&hl=en&ei=ngzWTarfMJOxhQfCq_nVBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is an extract from a paper (not yet published) where I talk about Thomas. You will see that Sarah was very strict but she was trying hard to set Thomas on the straight and narrow!

Thomas Bowles was imprisoned in 1841, aged 14, for breaking a window with intent to steal. Martin judged him a “clever boy – and both diligent and obedient.” While regretting that he had a “bad father” and a mother “in want and distress,” she hoped that with “judicious guidance he might become a better character.”   But the boy  found Martin’s strict code of conduct hard to follow.  His elder sister, married to a shipwright, took Bowles in while he tried to support himself by selling sticks. To enable him attend Sunday school, Martin ordered a twopenny loaf for the sabbath and directed him to a school, promising him a blue slop if he attended regularly. Bowles called on Martin to say he had work as a bricklayer’s laborer and had given four shillings to his sister for his lodgings, washing, food and clothes. He appeared to be taking Martin’s advice to heart, saying he had taken his cousin to Sunday school and declined an invitation to go fishing on the sabbath, advising a former cellmate to attend school too. However, when Martin called on Bowles, she found him playing marbles. This prompted a lecture. If he wished to play, he should drive a hoop or throw a ball; marbles was a form of gaming that would lead to worse. Despite his good intentions, Martin feared the boy’s bad temper which was “remarkably violent,” and his sister worried he would provoke her husband. The teacher was relieved to hear Bowles had won a berth on a fishing ship and, after he had proved himself honest, allowed him to choose a pair of canvas trousers.  But he was imprisoned again for leaving his master and, in 1842, sentenced to transportation for seven years for housebreaking. Apparently, Bowles had failed to inculcate the virtue of familial reciprocity emphasized by Martin and his sister. As he told the convict authorities, he had been convicted of stealing £50 pounds from his uncle; at the time of the offence he was living with an uncle. 

Helen

Offline ljmusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 May 11 07:53 BST (UK) »
More on Thomas Bowles and Sarah Martin:

Thomas was transported for housebreaking. The Gaol Register records that he broke into the house of William Beevor and stole £50. In his Convict Indent, Thomas gives the name William Bevis but also says William was his uncle. In 1841 a William Beevor, baker, lived on Gaol Street in Great Yarmouth. Do any of you know if this man was related to Thomas.

Thomas also states in his Convict Indent that he was living with another uncle, Thomas. This may be the uncle mentioned in his conversation with Sarah Martin. Does this fit any of your records, and can anyone confirm who Thomas's aunt was?

This link takes you to the convict records on Thomas:

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=C&id=6264

Helen

Offline ljmusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 May 11 08:04 BST (UK) »
Another possible link to Thomas Bowles and Edmund Bowles.

John Bowles was transported to Van Diemen's Land per Blenheim in 1837. He was sentenced to Life 6 Feb 1837 at Great Yarmouth for horsestealing. He had been working as a boatman. He was about 20.

I've not yet found any connection with Thomas and Edmund but does anyone know of a link?

I'm very keen to find out about the Bowles family and what effects the imprisonment and transportation of Thomas and Edmund may have had on their families and descendants in England and Australia. I am also looking for evidence of whether they continued to get in trouble after their sentence ended, or whether they finally settled down since my book is exploring punishment and rehabilitation in the early nineteenth century.

Best wishes, Helen

Offline ljmusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 May 11 08:21 BST (UK) »
More on Edmund Bowles:

Edmund's Convict Indent states he had been a policeman in Yarmouth for five years. He was committed for 40 days to Yarmouth Gaol 23 Feb 1842 for a debt owed to Thomas Wright. The Gaol Register says he has worked as a policeman. On 3 May 1842 he was remanded on charges of secreting the watch of Thomas Bowles executor but released the same day. His trade was listed as sugar boiler, and he could read and write.

Looks like there was some trouble in the Bowles extended family!

Helen

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 May 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

I am the bloke who first started this thread, although it was taken over by a couple of very knowledgeable experts  ;) ::)  8)!!!

As you will see from the very start I am trying very hard to connect Thomas the convict, who left Australia's shores bound for Calcutta in 1850, with the Thomas Rainford Day Bowles who turns up in Geelong Victoria three years later.  So, an extra mind with fresh eyes working on this would be great.  I've been trying to think about the question you raise but without my files I am no good, and I won't be able to put my hands on them for about another 5 weeks as I am in the UK on holiday.

Perhaps one of the other Bowles sleuths has some fresh ideas.

Cheers

Bob

Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia