Author Topic: Welch family of "New Row", Dublin  (Read 5633 times)

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Welch family of "New Row", Dublin
« on: Saturday 16 April 11 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've run into a very, very thick brick wall with the Welch family. 

The only individual i know of is Joseph James Welch, born about 1820 in "New Row", Dublin.  He ended up in Australia in around the mid 1840's.  I have no idea if he emigrated or if he was a convict though i think that its more likely that he was a convict.  I've looked in the 1901 census to see if there are any Welchs still in New Row but none appear to be living in "New Row" unless of course the name of the street has since changed?  Given that i'm in Australia you'll have to forgive me if my Dublin geography is a little vague.
So, does anyone know of "New Row", any Welchs, or can think of anything at all that might help?
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Albrecht (Germany & Australia)
Korn (Germany & Australia)
Coster (London)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Welch family of "New Row", Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 11 13:09 BST (UK) »
The surname Walsh is pronounced 'Welsh' in many parts of Ireland..

Pettigrew & Oulton's 1834 directory lists two streets named New Row at that time - one as 'New Row, Poddle', and the other as 'New Row, Thomas Street'.

Thomas street still exists on Dublin's southside, and Poddle is the name of a river which flows into the River Liffey near the city centre.

There are no Welsh or Walsh households listed in the directory on either street.

Do you know the family religion, name of a parents or any siblings ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
Shane,
Its interesting you say that Welsh was pronounced as Walsh; one of the family reseachers came across a record of a convict Joseph Walsh arriving in Australia on the "Lady McNaughton". He was apparently tried in Antrim in 1834, sentanced to transportation for 7 years, had lived in Dublin, was aged 19yrs when tried. I've not been able to locate that record though, so am not sure about it.

On the 1798 map of Dublin i found two mentions of "New Row"; one on Francis Street, between Upbridge St. and John St., close to the charmingly named Cutpurse (lane i assume?).  The other "New Row" was out further near Lower Combe - Poddle, in the area of Wards Hill, Skinners Alley and St. Lukes Church.

Religion was possibly Catholic; in Australia, his first marriage was Catholic but his second was C of E. 

I've got literally nothing else to go on with.  Given that Joseph is my direct male ancestor (great, great, great grandfather) you can image that it is causing me some frustration.

Anything is appreciated!
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
I suspect there were a number of different streets in Dublin with the name New Row over the years... as in 'The New Row', so it could be quite difficult to find out which one is being referred to in  this case.

Do you have any details of Joseph's father or siblings ? (e.g. trade or occuaption)

There are many parish records for Dublin City online at www.irishgenealogy.ie, but since early records often dont give addresses it will be difficult to be sure of any possible matches with the limited details you have at the moment. (early records often dont give addresses)

There are a number of matches to the address 'New Row' in the records on IrishGenealogy, but no Walsh/Welsh, and all the records returned for this address are well after 1820 - see New Row, Dublin RC records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 11 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane but I have no other names of any other family members, siblings or parents or anything.  I'm beginning to get the feeling that the other Welch researcher who came up with the Joseph James Walsh convict record and identified it as the same person as Joseph James Welch may have been completely mistaken.  I actually suspect that they have become confused because perhaps there were actually two individuals of the same name in New South Wales at the same time in the same period.

Last night I turned up two "new" old pieces of information; an old relative attempted a family tree back in the late 80's in the days before online records.  His research led him to believe that Joseph James Welch was actually born in London.  Buried in some old papers that I received from him were some certificates; Joseph James Welch's death certificate on which it said that his place of birth was England; and his son's birth certificate on which it said that the place of birth of the father was London.  I will go and find the marriage certificate today but at the moment all this would lead me to the inescapable and logical conclusion that Joseph James Welch was from England and likely London. 
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline Gatsby1960

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
There is a New Row which starts at Dean St and ends at Ward's Hill in Blackpitts, Dublin.

I don't know when the houses were built.....but New Row is still there.

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
Yes Gatsby,the New Row you mention usually appears on census etc as New row south.
I know of a New Row known as New Row Chapelizod(west) which is a few miles outside the city.
I was thinking the extra labels on the streets like east or west etc would help to identify the correct one but sometimes just 'New Row' is recorded as the address so confusing to say the least. A lot of the original buildings on New Row south have gone but a link I posted a while ago shows old photos of the street.My connection to this street is a Mooney/mcgrath family.
                                                                                   Anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is in any way relevant, but I too have a reference to "New Row" from the Pro-Cathedral marriage registers.

The date of the marriage was 1865, but the reference is to the parents of the groom (family name McLoughlin), whose address is described simply as "of New Row".

However, this may or may not be a current address as another marriage record for a different line of the family around the same period, gives "of Francis Street" but I know that both the parents alluded to in this case had died 5-10 years previously.

I have not as yet found any evidence that the McLoughlin parents of New Row were still alive in 1865.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Galindanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 April 11 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, my husband is a direct desendent of Joseph Walsh ( Welch).
we live in Australia, New South Wales.
Yes is was a convict, he married Bridget Daley and had a son Joseph,
Bridget died and Joseph sn. married again Hannah King.
Guinery London
Welch,Welsh,Walsh Ireland
Addis Herefordshire
Staer Germany, South Australia