Author Topic: Chew Magna, Compton or Stowe Baptism - James Henry TOMBS c1803  (Read 2411 times)

Offline george12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chew Magna, Compton or Stowe Baptism - James Henry TOMBS c1803
« on: Sunday 17 April 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for parents of ggg.grandfather James Henry TOMBS born c1803 - various censuses say at Chew Magna, Compton or Stowe. He married Jane MATTHEWS in London in 1843, so perhaps he had been married in Somerset earlier.  He died at Richmond, Surrey in 1882.

Grateful for any assistance ... Jim
Belfast :  Steen, Glendinning, Marshall
Swansea : Michael, Collier, Jones
Somerset :  Tombs, Vowles, Burt
Cornwall :  Ebbott, Bone, Batten, Temby, Perry, Harris, Tregaskis, Hart
Cambridge :  Beckett, Brooks, Cole, Peace
London : Walduck, Bartholomew, Bumstead, Masterman, Elks, Camfield, Linthwaite
Peebleshire : Sanderson, Forrest, Noble, Muir, Wilson
Devon :  Glanville

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Chew Magna, Compton or Stowe Baptism - James Henry TOMBS c1803
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for parents of ggg.grandfather James Henry TOMBS born c1803 - various censuses say at Chew Magna, Compton or Stowe. He married Jane MATTHEWS in London in 1843, so perhaps he had been married in Somerset earlier.  He died at Richmond, Surrey in 1882.

Grateful for any assistance ... Jim

Hi

His marriage to Jane states that he is a bachelor  :-\  His father is named as George Tombs, occupation Schoolmaster.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
In case you don't have it

Marriage at St Andrews, Holborn
7th October 1843
James Henry Tombs age 35 Bachelor occ Gardener resident 5 Castle Street, Holborn father George Tombs occ School Master
Jane Matthews age 23 spinster resident 10 Castle Street father John Matthews occupation Cooper
both signed
witnesses
Wm Walter Goodfellow
Sarah Sleeth(?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
Did find the same information as above but also the following

George Tombs married Mary Vowles at Compton Martin  Somerset on
22nd October 1801.

Also in the 1881 census Jane is alot younger than James but she is also
a school mistress.
James must have died the year after the census if you have him dead in 1882.

regards
Sandymc

p.s. You may have to check this but found a John Mathews marryinga Ann Smith in 1815. Also a John Mathews being christened in St Laurence Church, New Brentford, Middx on 15th March 1795, with parents Samuel and Ann.
I based this on the fact in the 1881 census Jane is classed as being born in Brenford, Middx.
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline george12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie and Sandymc,

That's great to find his parents so quickly. Very grateful.

Jane's father John MATTHEWS married Blanch BURT at St Nicholas, Deptford, Kent in 1821. Blanch was born at Long Sutton, Somerset c1797 but her parents are a bit elusive. She listed herself as a Cooper at Brentford after John died in 1851, and she may have died in Truro in 1886.

There are a lot of George TOMBS out there sadly. Is there a 'trade' directory for schoolteachers in London in early to mid 1800's? Wonder if James Henry TOMBS was a Gardener at a large estate, park, Kew Gardens, ???

The John MATTHEWS christened at New Brentford in 1795 is a possibility.
Difficult to be certain with a common name.

Rosie, my only dog (50 years ago) was a blue roan Cocker Spaniel called Holly, lovely nature, lots of pups, in Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards  ...  Jim

Belfast :  Steen, Glendinning, Marshall
Swansea : Michael, Collier, Jones
Somerset :  Tombs, Vowles, Burt
Cornwall :  Ebbott, Bone, Batten, Temby, Perry, Harris, Tregaskis, Hart
Cambridge :  Beckett, Brooks, Cole, Peace
London : Walduck, Bartholomew, Bumstead, Masterman, Elks, Camfield, Linthwaite
Peebleshire : Sanderson, Forrest, Noble, Muir, Wilson
Devon :  Glanville

Offline DorothyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hello and Greetings from Australia! I am researching my husband's family tree (principally, "Tombs") and came across your entry. Yes, James Henry Tombs as you describe was my husband's GG Grandfather. And very recently I made an amazing discovery – found his parents GEORGE TOMBS (married to Mary Vowles). The interesting this for us is that GEORGE TOMBS is listed as having fought with the Second Regiment of the Dragoon Guards, and is described as a musician / chief trumpeter. He apparently fought in Canada and suffered with bad health upon his return. He was awarded a pension and died at the age of 41. For us as a family, this is particularly interesting, in that music has been a dominating feature of our lives:  both my husband and myself have been involved with music all our lives (and still play a brass instrument!). And both of our sons and their families are all involved in music too. Our youngest son is Associate Head of music in a grammar school in Melbourne!  So it MUST be in the genes!  I am happy to share any of the information I have gathered over the years.
James Tomb's son came to Australia and settled in Oakleigh in Melbourne in the mid 1800s –and therefore it was easy to trace his life from that point on. I am assuming you have a connection there?  I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Regards
Dorothy Mowat