Author Topic: Lady Thomas Convalescent Home, Holyhead  (Read 10000 times)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lady Thomas Convalescent Home, Holyhead
« on: Monday 18 April 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with information regarding the Lady Thomas Convalescent Home, Holyhead.
This home was founded and equipped by Sir Robert John Thomas for the nursing care of Discharged and Disabled Soldiers and Sailors of WW1.

Do you have a photograph, where did it stand and is it still standing??
What uniforms did the nursing staff wear??

During the 1920's a Dr Clay "Clay of Holyhead" worked for the Ministry of Pensions within the building?? So was this building taken over by local government for their offices and maybe the name was replaced??

Bendywendy

HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Thomas Convalescent Home, Holyhead
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 00:32 BST (UK) »
I believe the  Cliff Hotel Treaddur Bay Holyhead is the building you are looking for. Sir R J Thomas had it built it still stands and is now holiday flats there is an old postcard on Ebay that you can check out showing the Cliff hotel between the wars under Holyhead your best bet for your other question is to contact Anglesey archives to see if they have any papers on the hotel
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you cae howell, I did wonder if this hotel was in fact the Home, I was told that it may have been known locally as the Beach Hospital too.
I will contact the Anglesey archives again.
I also now know that Sir R J Thomas was in shipping, had a business called the Thomas Shipping Co, so hopefully the archives may have something for that, maybe the info for the Home could be with the families shipping records.
Going to look for the postcard on Ebay now.
Many thanks
Bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
Just an update that I am still searching for answers with this and have asked for help on another thread about where various WW1 hospitals were sited on Anglesey, this is the link:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=699294.new#new

If anyone can still help with the original request for information regarding Lady Thomas and or the headwear that they would have worn as I believe my husband's grandmother may have worked there, this is the link to her photograph of the headwear:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=508278.msg3647866#msg3647866

Kind regards
bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline omnituens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper article on opening if you are still interested, has a photo of the hospital:

http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/4245988/8

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 February 16 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Sweden.
          I've been reading through your topic today and have a couple of observations to make. The photo of the hospital shown in the newspaper article is the Gors hospital at Gorse Avenue, Holyhead. It eventually became the local  maternity hospital.
 Shown on a map of 1888 is what later became the Gareglwyd Estate at holyhead, Purchased by Sir R.J.Thomas in 1897. (The newspaper article states that the hospital was built on this Gareglwyd estate. The straight line distance between the Main Estate house and the Gors hospital is 200 meters.
  The uniform worn by your relative is almost certainly that of a nanny/nurse ... she may have been employed as such in one of the many wealthy homes in Anglesey and, quite possibly, at Rhosneigr where she has a connection. This would explain the lack of any records showing her  as being a 'nurse', in the accepted sense of the word.
 P.S. My family connection to Sir R.J. Thomas.
 Anita, the daughter of Jeannette Tildesley, (nee Richards), married George Henry Thomas at Llangefni in 1907. George was the brother of R.J. and was also a shipowner living at Sefton, Liverpool. Ánita lived in the large family home in Rhosneigr!
                                    Hoping that this helps, hinders, or just opens new doors
                                                                   regards, Peter.

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 13:59 GMT (UK) »
 More info.
From the Maritime Museum at Holyhead.
 [Soon after the First World War the 'Lady Thomas Convalescence Home for Discharged and Disabled Soldiers and Sailors' was opened at the top of what is now Gors Avenue. It is thought to have been intended as a house but building work was stopped during the war. It was equipped with all the modern facilities of the time at a cost of £15,000 and provided beds for 44 patients. The building later became the Gors Maternity Hospital (date unknown - possibly 1948?). It has now been converted into flats.]

From the ' Daily Post*
   Other buildings also took the role of  hospitals although in reality they were convalescent homes for the large number of  wounded servicemen. The Assembly Rooms (Holborn Road), the Sailors’ Home (Newry Beach), and Llys y Gwynt (Llanfawr Close), all in Holyhead, assumed this role. In Trearddur Bay, Isallt Fawr, Ty‘r Enfys and the Darien Hotel also became wartime convalescent homes, as did the Lady Thomas  Convalescent Home which was opened in Holyhead a few months after the war (and later became the Gors Maternity Hospital). Ty Wridin, Rhoscolyn (maintained by Sir MM Grayson MP) was also used for a while.

regards, Peter

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline mhparryjones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 19 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I was also searching for references to this Convalescent home because one of my father's aunts was the Matron. I have some photos of the hospital in operation along with pictures of some of the nurses in their uniforms (and some patients too) There's also one showing Dr Clay

Offline ARTIST RESEARCHER1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 22 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Anita Elizabeth Tildesley and her husband George henry Thomas.
Married in 1907 as you have detailed, they changed their name to Tregarneth in 1928.
I am particularly interested in anything during the second world war when Anita Elizabeth was named on Land tax for Plas Bodfa, Beaumauris. Anita was a writer, poet and artist. (The Call of the Sea and Founders of Faith in Wales). Photographs, stories anything would be wonderful. Their address varies over the years 1935 to late 50s but one was Voel Vanna (Church Bay) Porth Swtan.