Author Topic: Bride Street Wexford  (Read 24944 times)

Offline dukeslane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bride Street Wexford
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
hi katie was my mothers first cousin il ask my mother if she nos anythink they was another berry family living in dukeslane back then that also moved to wolf tone maybe you was related to them do you no why your family came to wexford town from new ross

Offline zakiemya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
As far as I know they were the only Berry's at the time in Dukes Lane.  They were there in the 1930's.  My mum Babs was born in 1931 then moved up to Wolfe Tone
but dont know when.  Her Grandmother Barbara Doran was from New Ross and my mum said her grandfather John Berry met her while working in New Ross and brought her to Wexford Town to live when they married.  John Berry was from Wexford Town.  Barbara died when she was 30 in 1916 when my Grandad Andy Berry was 10.  My mum grew up with Katie Fenlon, school etc.  Came to England together to work.  Lifelong friends.  Katie came to see her the day before she died last August as my mum asked for her.  I asked Katie if she knew anything about the Doran side of our family but did not only that Barbara Doran died young and left young children. 

Thanks for your help

Zakiemya

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
The following is a list of ratepayers (Heads of family) appearing in a Wexford newspaper dated October 1936. (Duke Street/Lane had by now been officially re-named Thomas Clarke Street)

It suggests that A (Andrew?) Berry had moved from Duke Street to Wolf Tone Villas sometime before Oct 1936.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline zakiemya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 April 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that.  The A. Berry is my grandfather and with my nan and Mum they lived at 51 Wolfe Tone Villas.  My Grandfather on my Dads side is R. Callaghan and they lived at no. 35.  How wonderful.  A good few names I recognise and met many of them as a child visiting.  Thank you so much for that.

Regards
Zakiemya

Offline carrieanne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 May 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Paul Pithman jnr Lived at 21 Wolfe Tone, his brother Christopher at number 40, not sure what number my great great grandfather Paul Pitman snr lived at in Wolfe Tone Villas, but i do know he lived at 22 Bride street according to the 1911 census.

A lot of this info i have is all thanks to shorts ;D
Baldwin - Brixton and Streatham, Lambeth, England   
Baker -  Battersea,  London, England   
Bowden -   London, England.  Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, USA
Bradshaw    - Dublin, Ireland and Manchester, England   
Clack - Reading, England   
Duggan - Wexford, Ireland
Gardiner - Yorkshire, England   
Walsh - Wexford, Ireland   
Shepherd   - Reading, England   
Poskit - Yorkshire, England   
Clark      
Dyer - Wandsworth, England   
Hooker - Lambeth, England   
Oesterman - Holland

Offline Lauraboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this site and was googling my ancestors then got excited when I saw all the 'Swanson' activity on here.

My Great Grandmother and those before her were Swansons hailing from Wexford, my side of the family the emigrated to 'Ireland by the sea' - Liverpool. My G Grandmother was Mary Ann Swanson born in 1886 in Temperance Row, Wexford her Father who was a mariner was called James Swanson b. 1854 in Wexford. Her Mother was Mary Cleare b. 1859 we think in Wexford although this is un-confirmed. By 1891 this family including Mary Ann Swanson siblings were in Liverpool

I cannot find any Swanson living in Temperace Row in the 1901 or 1911 census except that in 1911 a 'Katy Cleare' was visiting number 28, this house number did not feature in 1901. Still trying to trace Swansons' and Cleares' in Wexford, I have heard Mary Cleare was an only child which was quite something in them days.

I have just unearthed a death for another James Swanson who died in Wexford 1879 aged 62 and I feel he maybe my GGG Grandfather, place of birth unknown, although family rumour has it they were sailors who came from Sweden, certainly his son was a mariner.

Anyway I have plenty of family info if there are Swansons out there who are related.
Regards,
Laura  ;D
Family History Names Include: Akers, Elliott, Bray, Hall, Laver, Crighton, Wallace, Palmer, Schorah, Lovelady, Buckley, Rimmer, Swanson, Cleare and so it goes on.....

Social History connected to above include: London: East End and Hanwell, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Salford, Lancashire, Birkenhead, Felling, Bill Quay, Gateshead, Yately, Wexford plus more being added all the time.

Interested in: Royal Marines, Chinatown Liverpool, Martime Liverpool, Everton Uprising, Mining, Family Churches....

Offline Hereman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 19:20 BST (UK) »
I am delighted to report that at least some more of the Wexford Swanson descendants are alive and well, here on Merseyside today. As with Laura (with whom I am in contact) my wife is also descended from James Swanson, b.1854 in Wexford and his son also James, born in Wexford in 1884. They moved to Liverpool about 1890/92 based on the fact their son John was born in Wexford in 1888 and their next child, Sarah was born in Liverpool in 1892.

If only more Census records survived before the 1901 census, I feel sure we'd discover the Wexford Swansons were all part of the same family. As previously stated, the surname was uncommon in Ireland, while not so in Scotland where many families lived. Undoubtedly the name has Scandinavian origins which might not be surprising given the proximity of the Scottish 'highlands and islands' to Scandinavia and their common seafaring traditions.
Anyway, here's a photo of James Swanson (1854) taken in Liverpool about 1930, you never know, someone may see a family likeness(?) He'd have been about 76 in the photo, but lived until 1941 and the grand age of 87!!

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
The Irish Civil Register, which only began in 1864, has records of Swanson Wexford, and might be worth a look.

http://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

Jack

Offline Hereman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Jack. Kind regards, Neil