Author Topic: Powys County Archives Office  (Read 3308 times)

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Powys County Archives Office
« on: Tuesday 19 April 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Please has anyone been to Powys County Archives Office.
I am planning a visit and wonder if you could let me know
what it is like. Thanks
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
Re: Powys County Archives Office
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi CU,

I'm not sure exactly what you want to know.  Access is reasonably easy, although parking is available there aren't always spaces (even though there is plenty of parking available round an about).   The Archives itself has a fairly small reading room with a couple of tables in the middle of the room if you wish to look at books etc and make notes.  There are quite a lot of reference / local history books.  From memory I think they have 3 microfilm readers (which are still quite old fashioned ones).  You must book in advance.   Very friendly helpful staff, and I'm sure if you rang them before hand, they will be able to tell you what records they have available. 

They close for an hour at lunch time, when you must leave the archives building between 12.30 - 1.30 p.m.    For lunch there is the option of course, of you taking your own lunch and you could if you so wish sit on a seat outside the little lake at the front of the main County Council Offices (the Archives is a separate building but literally a stone's throw away from the main office).   Otherwise there are the following options: 
The Restaurant in the Main County Hall building (enter through main entrance) where sandwiches, hot meals etc are available at a reasonable price;
The Lakeside Cafe which also has sandwiches / hot meals etc is about a 5 minute walk away;
Or of course there are plenty of Cafes/ Hotels etc in the town itself nearest ones also about 5 minutes away; 

County Archivist : Ms Catherine Richards,  Powys County Hall, Llandrindod Wells, Powys. LD1 5LG
Tel: 01597 826088    Fax: 01597 826087    Email: archives {--at--} powys.gov.uk    Website: http://archives.powys.gov.uk
Access information
    * Open : Tues-Thurs 10-12.30, 1.30-5; Fri 10-12.30, 1.30-4
    * Book in advance
    * Member of CARN scheme (I'm not sure whether they've started this yet - ask when you phone)

Hope the above is of some help to you.

Regards, Alltcafan :)
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Powys County Archives Office
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alltcafan, I just wanted to get some
idea what it was like. Small , Big. You have answered my question
really well. I will book, its a long way to go for me if I can't
use the films. I think I will take my own lunch and hopefully sit outside and
go through any notes I have made.