Author Topic: Garvagh and Metican families Hutchison, Johnston, Bradley, Docherty, Cochrane  (Read 8464 times)

Offline garvaghnames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Hutchi(n)son born about 1826, Garvagh, Co. Londonderry, son of Hugh Hutchi(n)son and Elizabeth Johnston. Robert married Rosanna Docherty (1821-1861) in Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1847 and was still in Scotland in 1891. Land and tax tell me that there was a Hugh Hutchinson at Met(t)ican, Garvagh. Any further information on these Hutchi(n)sons and Johnstons would be much appreciated. I have a lot on the family in Scotland.

This and related lines contain other names that may come from the Garvagh area. Robert's wife, Rosanna Docherty, was born in Ireland in about 1821. Her father was John Docherty (1799-1878), son of John Docherty (a tailor or sailor?) and Susan Cochran(e).

Rosanna's mother was known in Scotland as Agnes or Nancy Darroch but was born in Ireland around 1799/1800 when she was Agnes or Nancy Darragh. Her father, Daniel Darragh, was married to Rose Bradley or Broadley. I know that there were Darraghs (including a Daniel) at Metican/Garvagh too.  I suspect that Agnes Darragh had a brother called Laurence/Lawrence Darragh (a thatcher) who also ended up in Scotland with his son, John (a tailor).

I am not assuming anything, but if there are MIs or other sources that shed light on these names and families, I would be grateful for the information. From the marriages in Scotland, my assumption is that the Dochertys and possibly the Hutchi(n)sons were Roman Catholic though it all got mixed up a bit in Scotland.
Darragh, Dougherty, Hutchinson,Johnston, Cochrane and Bradley in Ulster; Darroch, Hutchison, Docherty, Leggat, Mackie, Mathie, Caldwell, Wallace, Wood, McPhee/McVie/McFie/McGuffie/McHaffie, Currie, Cowie, Dougal, Innes, Dunipace, Wales/Wells/Walls, Struthers, Paterson, Gunn in Scotland; Jones, Edwards, Rogers, Evans, Morris of the Tanat Valley in Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire, Wales; Edwards, Jones, Wragg and Healey of Cheshire, England.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Garvagh and Metican families Hutchison, Johnston, Bradley, Docherty, Cochrane
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. It's more likely that the Hutchinsons and Johnstons were Presbyterian.

Hugh Hutchinson, farmer, Mettican, son of a William Hutchinson, married 2nd (2 June 1859 Main St. Presbyterian Church) to Sarah Gould. Will look up the rest of the marriage details shortly as the file isn't near the computer.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Garvagh and Metican families Hutchison, Johnston, Bradley, Docherty, Cochrane
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
The marriage details in the church register are actually a bit unusual-

24 May 1859, Hugh Hutchinson, full age, widower, farmer, Mettican, son of William Hutchinson, farmer, to Sarah Goold, full agem spinster, Drumacrow, daughter of John Goold, labourer. Witnesses: William Hutchinson, Rachel Kelly. Note in margin: This marriage was performed 2d June 1859 corrected this 21st of Decr 1859 in the presence of the parties J.B. Renoul [minister]

A John Gould, Mettican, had sons James (c1832) and Alexander (c1836)- these are the only other Goulds I've found in Mettican. See reply #4 for further details

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
DARAGH- Mettican

Coleraine Chronicle, 9 Mar.1861: Death- At Metican, near Garvagh, on the 22nd ult., Mr. Daniel Darragh, farmer, at the advanced age of 95 years.

1869- William Darragh, Mettican (Garvagh Post Office) on Minnehaha to U.S.

"The Will of Henry Darragh late of Mettican County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 28 December 1879 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of Francis Crilly of Slaghtneal and Francis Bradley of Ballymenagh both in said County Farmers the Executors." Will mentions his wife, her nephew Daniel Crilly, 1 shilling to brother Atty and sister Molly (also mentions their families), and others (see www.proni.gov.uk)

Coleraine Chronicle, 25 Mar.1882: Death- At his father's residence, Mettican, near Garvagh, on the 19th inst., James, fourth son of Mr. Archibald Darrah, aged 25 years. (Philadelphia papers please copy)

"Administration (with the Will) of the estate of Archibald Darragh late of Mettican Garvagh County Londonderry Farmer who died 22 December 1897 granted at Londonderry to Daniel Darragh Farmer" (also from PRONI Will Extracts)

1901 Census- Mettican:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Garvagh/Mettican_Glebe/1519902

1911 Census- Mettican:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Garvagh/Mettican_Glebe/590986

Northern Constiution, 8 Feb.1919: Death- At his residence, Holy Hill House, Mettican, Garvagh, on the 1st Fenruary 1919, Daniel, eldest son of the late Archibald Darragh- R.I.P.

These Darraghs were Roman Catholic.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
Gould- Mettican (from Main St. (2nd Garvagh) Presbyterian Church)

Baptism 22 July 1832 James son of John Gold Mettigan
Baptism June 1836 Alexander son of John Goold Metigan

Death 1884 Widow Goold aged 80 Mettican (civil registration index gives her name as Jane Gould)

There's also a death for a John Goold age 56 on 28 Oct.1859 but since no townland is given it's impossible to know which John Gould this might be.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    On 3 Oct 1800 a John Goold married Jean McMullan in Garvagh 1st. Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    On 3 Oct 1800 a John Goold married Jean McMullan in Garvagh 1st. Presbyterian Church.

Regards

Which is about a year before Widow Jane Gould was born  ;)

Gould (also written as Goold or Gold) is a very common name in the area- mostly found in Shanlongford and Boleran townlands.

Offline garvaghnames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the input on the Darraghs. Much appreciated. I will run it by my records to see if anything chimes and will prepare a summary of 'my' Darraghs in Scotland to assist others.

Major prizes in Garvagh and surrounding area would be the birth of Agnes/Nancy/Ann Darragh to Daniel in around 1799 and a Laurence/Lawrence to Daniel around 1816 and marriage of Daniel Darragh and Rose Bradley/Broadley before about 1799. But the Garvagh RC records were destroyed in Dublin as I understand it. So I guess I am scuppered unless MIs or obits. can fill in details. I will not leap to any conclusions yet.

Re Hugh Hutchinson and Elizabeth Johnston marriage before 1826, if your suggestion that they were protestant is so, and I thought that most likely myself, then I may have more luck with records I suppose.

Darragh, Dougherty, Hutchinson,Johnston, Cochrane and Bradley in Ulster; Darroch, Hutchison, Docherty, Leggat, Mackie, Mathie, Caldwell, Wallace, Wood, McPhee/McVie/McFie/McGuffie/McHaffie, Currie, Cowie, Dougal, Innes, Dunipace, Wales/Wells/Walls, Struthers, Paterson, Gunn in Scotland; Jones, Edwards, Rogers, Evans, Morris of the Tanat Valley in Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire, Wales; Edwards, Jones, Wragg and Healey of Cheshire, England.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 June 11 03:27 BST (UK) »
Am I correct in reading from your post that Rosanna Docherty and he family were Roman Catholoic? I am trying to find out more about  William Dougherty of Carrowreagh, Garvagh but his family were probably Presbyterian.

Aghadowey has privide the following information and I am trying to find out more about William's parents.

John Linton . (born 1840) married 12 Dec.1865 2nd Garvagh Presbyterian Church to Martha Jane Doherty (born 1846 Carrowreagh) daughter of William Dougherty.