Author Topic: The Wards of Crosby Ravensworth  (Read 3167 times)

Offline newport1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Wards of Crosby Ravensworth
« on: Friday 22 April 11 03:42 BST (UK) »
I found a cousin who has traced our Ward family back to generations of Wards who lived in Crosby Ravensworth. Does anyone have more information on this family?

William Ward was born in Kendal (1800-1865 ) the son of William Ward born 1763 and Mary Dodd born1763.

Joyce

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Wards of Crosby Ravensworth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce,

Here is a link to part of the parish register for CR. There are quite a few Wards there.

http://www.btinternet.com/~grigg/ParRegsAll16042006.pdf

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline newport1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gillian! That's very interesting!

Joyce

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce
The following is some of what I have on the WARD family of Crosby Ravensworth.  I have no particular interest in the WARD family - just a general interest in CR.  I have not looked at the WARDs in any detail so there are probably errors!  You should check everything anyway.  Please let me know if you spot errors.

You have identified a William WARD who was christened in CR on 20 March 1763.

William WARD was the son of Thomas WARD and Elizabeth ? of Crosby.  I have tentatively identified Elizabeth as Elizabeth Monkister with the marriage taking place in Orton on 16 May 1762.  Thomas WARD died in CR in Mar 1819 at the age of 82.  He was the younger son of Thomas WARD and Margaret FAWCETT who married on 19 Jun 1718.  I think Thomas junior was a tailor: he appears on the 1787 census (living with his unnamed wife) and on the 1811 census in a household of 1 male and 1 female.

Thomas senior & Margaret had the following children:
Mary who was born and died 1719 and then other children with christening dates:
Grace   30 Jul 1720
Isabel   1 Sep 1721
Margaret27 Nov 1725
James   7 Mar 1727/8
Jane   26 Jul 1730
Mary   26 Feb 1732/3
Thomas   17 Jun 1736 (junior)

Thomas senior was buried on 13 Dec 1740.  His widow Margaret had a further (illegitimate) child John who was christened on 23 Mar 1741/2.  There is a reference to an indenture in December 1751 for Widow Ward's son to Isaac Willan (presumaby an apprenticeship for either John? or Thomas?).  I think that Isaac may be the husband of Grace WARD.

Margaret and her eldest son James seems to have had an uneasy relationship.  In December 1765 there was a dispute between them over money which had to be resolved by the parish officers.  James was to pay his mother 6d a week during her life and provide a house for her to live in.  Margaret appears to be living at Maulds Meaburn at her death (burial 26 Jan 1772).  Margaret was the daughter of Thomas FAWCETT and was christened on 19 January 1698/9.  I currently have no information about either of Margaret's parents.

Thomas WARD senior was the son of James WARD and Grace ? and christened on 8 Nov 1685.  There are two other children christened in CR:
Mary   31 Oct 1680
Jane   22 Dec 1689

I don't think Jane marries and she ends up in the CR poor house.  Mary marries Thomas Reay and has three daughters.  Mary and her family are the subject of protracted settlement/removal court cases.

There is a 1703 reference to James WARD doing walling and making a drain and earning between 8d and 1s a day for this work.  He was buried on 11 Sep 1728.  I'm afraid I haven't identified Grace as yet but she is buried on 2 Jan 1721/2.

It is likely that James was born during the Commonwealth and the parish records for CR are quite poor for this period.  I have assumed that James is the son of Thomas WARD and Isabel SPOONER.  Their marriage takes place on 14 Feb 1649/50 and I assume that James is born around 1650-1652.  Thomas is buried on on 28 Sep 1673 and he is then described as being 'of Crosby' - one reason for thinking that Thomas may be the father of James.  Thomas does not appear on the Protestation Return for CR - possibly because he was just too young (implying a birth around 1620-1622). There is no christening of a Thomas WARD in CR in this timeframe.

Before the Commonwealth there appears to be only the one WARD family living in CR and these are the WARDs of Hause.  I think the Hause connection comes via the marriage of Margaret THWAITE (the daughter of Geoffrey) to Nicholas WARD.  There are only 2 WARDs on the Protestation Returns for CR and these are for Nicholas and his son John.  There are however many WARD entries for Orton.   I have not been able to establish a connection between Thomas and the Hause family and I suspect that Thomas may be from Orton (although that does not rule out a connection). 

The court rolls I have for CR imply that there was a James Ward of Newbiggin and a Thomas Ward of Birkbeck Fells in 1579; and in 1558 a Robert WARD was an executor for an estate.  The absence of parish records for 1573-1593 for CR make the sixteenth century a bit difficult to research

Also if your identification of the Mary DODD who marries William WARD is the one who was christened on 28 Aug 1763 in CR then the CR parish records also suggest that this Mary died a few years later in 1769.

Hope it helps
Deborah

Offline newport1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 04:23 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Australia!

Thank you so much for all the information!  My cousin in the UK has done a lot of research already but I don't think he has been able to go back this far. What a great help you are - I appreciate the time you have taken to do this for me!

Joyce