Author Topic: (COMPLETE)Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950  (Read 13033 times)

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 April 11 08:41 BST (UK) »
Tell me, people, what's the Sobroan?   ???   ???   ???

Dawn M

the Sobaron was a ship set up in the late 1800 as a boys reformitary school. If they we're under 16 years old they got sent here if they got caught by the police. There was also the Vernon which was the same thing

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 April 11 08:45 BST (UK) »
Dawn, it was a ship in Sydney Harbour that was used as an school for homeless boys .... pre WW I

Spelling is not quite correct, I think it was NSS (Nautical School Ship) SOBRAON ...

I am very clunky at moment, using wifi kindle reader as ISP cable connection has been disturbed at the street/pit and affecting our remote neighbourhood.  

Try Google NSS Sobraon

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 April 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
James date of birth 15 April 1883 !  from entrance records and from quick read of his younger bro Samuel's entrance, it is quite possible that James and two other brothers were in England with their mother who may have been known as Jane RISCO at that time ie... Feb 1897.

Statement by Geo Fredk RISCO, civil engineer on oath re Samuel Hemphill .. on 4 Feb 1897

I am a civil engineer residing at 174 Elizabeth St.  I have been acting as a guardian of the boy (ie Samuel Hemphill) for some months.  His mother has gone to England.  Three others of her children were onboard Sobraon but she got them off and took them with her.  .............. His father has deserted his mother ....

So I'm of the view that melandjamie is trying to match the chap who married Clara and lived at Suffolk St with the lad and or his brothers who were on the Sobraon. 

But just how to find him ... particularly as the admission paper notes Samuel's mother as being Jane RISCO in 1897 ... well that's what RChatters are here for ...

So which three lads did she take to England ... and under what surname, and who returned and under what surname .... 

Cheers,  JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 April 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
Worth considering:

J. Hemphill age 17 of Sydney was crew (BOY) on board SS ALLINGA out of Brisbane into Sydney on 22 June 1899 (I think this could be John rather than James, but it is my own speculation) ...  same vessel 21 July 1899 but as an OS, etc

J Hemphill age 17, of British, was crew (OS) on board Miowera (may be poor transcription) out of South Sea Islands etc, arriving Sydney 5 Feb 1901 (now this could be JAMES, who was born April 1883) ....

Particularly as these brothers had some sea legs from their time on the NSS and on the voyages to and fro England ...

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 April 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
Could this be the father of those lads?

A seaman ?

A.B. John Hemphill, age 24 of Glasgow, crew on the BRITISH AMBASSADOR into Sydney from London arriving 25 January 1881

A.B. John Hemphill, age 25 of Glasgow, crew on the VENICE into Sydney from Hong Kong arriving 11 June 1883

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 April 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
James date of birth 15 April 1883 !  from entrance records and from quick read of his younger bro Samuel's entrance, it is quite possible that James and two other brothers were in England with their mother who may have been known as Jane RISCO at that time ie... Feb 1897.

Statement by Geo Fredk RISCO, civil engineer on oath re Samuel Hemphill .. on 4 Feb 1897

I am a civil engineer residing at 174 Elizabeth St.  I have been acting as a guardian of the boy (ie Samuel Hemphill) for some months.  His mother has gone to England.  Three others of her children were onboard Sobraon but she got them off and took them with her.  .............. His father has deserted his mother ....

So I'm of the view that melandjamie is trying to match the chap who married Clara and lived at Suffolk St with the lad and or his brothers who were on the Sobraon. 

But just how to find him ... particularly as the admission paper notes Samuel's mother as being Jane RISCO in 1897 ... well that's what RChatters are here for ...

So which three lads did she take to England ... and under what surname, and who returned and under what surname .... 

Cheers,  JM 

we think Risco must have been a man she was living with after her husband John did a runner on her ( i must order a copy of their divorce papers to see what happened) the 3 brother were John,James and George. John was 13 James was 11 and george was 6 when they got sent to the Sobraon. Samuel at the time we think was at Five docks school, i've sent them an email to see if they have any records of him being there.

I have no idea under what name they left on or if they even left at all, the mother and John and George are all buried together in Rookwood cemetery my husband is a desendent of George, Georges full name was George Washington Lincoln Hemphill and his birthday was the 4th of July, you can't tell me the Irish don't have a sense of humour lol

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 April 11 10:51 BST (UK) »

A seaman ?

A.B. John Hemphill, age 24 of Glasgow, crew on the BRITISH AMBASSADOR into Sydney from London arriving 25 January 1881

A.B. John Hemphill, age 25 of Glasgow, crew on the VENICE into Sydney from Hong Kong arriving 11 June 1883

Cheers,  JM

it's possiable i have'nt been able to find anything on him after the divorce. he was listed as a mechanic/engineer on his wedding certificate so that could be useful on a ship. What does the A.B stand for before the name?

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 April 11 10:55 BST (UK) »

A seaman ?

Cheers,  JM

just re checked this info an unfortunatley it can't be the missing dad. the last child was born in 1893 and in John Jrs statement in 1895 it said his dad had gone back to Ireland so it must have been sometime between 1893-1985

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 April 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Well I do think that many of the lads who spent time on the NSS vessels in Sydney in those days may well have found themselves well trained for crews in merchant navy or service in WWI in RAN which of course was under the direction of the RN...

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx  perhaps some mentions.  

A.B. = Able Bodied Seaman

Cheers,  JM