Author Topic: census lookup request please 1871 lanarkshire, scotland  (Read 13650 times)

murray12

census lookup request please 1871 lanarkshire, scotland
« on: Saturday 23 April 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm hoping if someone could help me find Margaret Brown born around 1862 in Lanarkshire, Scotland - at either Glasgow, Hamilton or Holytown. On this basis she would probably have been in 5 - 12 age group at the time.
She was daughter of John Brown a coal miner and Jane Gillan both deceased in 1881.
She may have been born illegitimate as there is no record so far of parents marriage.

I cannot seem to find her and your help would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

Drew

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: census lookup request please 1871 lanarkshire, scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi  murray12

what about this  one  ???

Hutchesontown
Glasgow Govan
Lanarkshire
108 Rutherglen Road

John Brown   38 Head, Govan, Renfrewshire, Powerloom Tenter
Jane Brown   34 wife, West Kilbride, Ayrshire
Margaret Brown   10 Daughter, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Scholar
George Brown   5 son, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
John Brown   3 son, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Jane Brown   9 MO daughter, Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Jackie
Mauger, Le Pelley, Tapp, Molloy, Stephenson, Fogden,
Lawson, McInnes

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
sorry just re-read your post you have john as a coal miner
not a  Powerloom Tenter
Mauger, Le Pelley, Tapp, Molloy, Stephenson, Fogden,
Lawson, McInnes

murray12

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Thanks - I think she was probably born in Lanarkshire given the mining reference

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Do you have sight of John's death certificate from Scotlands People?  I ask because that should give you a good idea of where the family lived and exactly what he did, and there are a fair few families to choose from.
My eye was drawn to this one because it's New Monkland, and that's a very heavy mining area:
John Brown 40
Jane Brown 39
Archa Jane Brown 17 (sic, you'd need to look at the original on SP to see if that really is what it says)
Margaret Thomas Brown 6 (born in New Monkland)
Isabella Brown 3
John is a Colliery Manager
They live at No 9 Gavil, New Monkland
Ref: Parish: New Monkland; ED: 6; Page:  50; Line: 12; Roll: CSSCT1871_147; Year: 1871

If John and Jane have a daughter age 17 it can mean that Jane is a second wife (big gap between the girls) or that John and Jane married a lot earlier than Margaret's birth would indicate (that's even assuming they might be your family)

Can you post what you have from the deaths of John and Jane, because it will help distinguish one Brown family from another?
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

murray12

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sadly, I don't have any info about John and Janes's deaths. On Margaret's marriage certificate in 1881(Glasgow) they are noted as "deceased". That is all the info I have I'm afraid. I haven't been able to find Jane especially on Scotlandspeople.

murray12

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if Jane Gillan remained unmarried and might have appeared under her name in 1871?

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
There's also this one, which might fit better with your Holytown information:

John Brown age 60, born Bothwell Lanarkshire, Miner
Agnes Brown, 20, his daughter
Margaret Brown, 10, his daughter
Henry Brown 9, Thomas Brown 6, Catherine Brown 4 - all listed as children of John.

No mother visible.
All born in Bothwell, which is in the registration district of Holytown.

The family live at E & G Turnpike Road, Bothwell.
Reference is: Parish: Bothwell; ED: 3; Page:  8; Line: 1; Roll: CSSCT1871_118; Year: 1871
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Never mind Murray12, everything has to start somewhere and that's what the people on this board love - a challenge!

If you have sight of Margaret's marriage certificate can you please post everything it says - date, name of groom, addresses they were living at, details of parents, the lot.    At least that way we have something to start with.

Can you also confirm why you think one, or both of them (John and Jane) were alive in 1871?   If you've got something to confirm that it will help, otherwise it might be we are looking for Margaret who is already orphaned and not living with a John and Jane at all.