Author Topic: census lookup request please 1871 lanarkshire, scotland  (Read 13639 times)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: census lookup request please 1871 lanarkshire, scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
Assuming (and that's all we can do) for now that the second census entry might be your Margaret, then John was alive, but around 60.  No sign of Jane.
There is a death on SP for a John Brown in Bothwell, age 63, in Bothwell in 1876.  If he was 60 on census day and if it's the same man he would have been 65 in 1876, but then if there are different people giving the information a 2 year gap is quite reasonable.
The only other 2 John Brown deaths in Bothwell between the 1871 census and your 1811 marriage certificate are a child, and a man age 35.
What intrigues me is the age of the youngest children in 1871 against the age of the father.
It might be worth looking at that death certificate (ref is 625/01 0231) and see if it rings any bells, but before you do that and spend another 5 credits, do post what you have from Margaret's marriage.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

murray12

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

The marriage details are  - Partick 1881 - Groom John Carrick - address in Partick - age 21

Margaret - blechfield worker - 15 Grace Street, Partick - age 20 - parents as mentioned previously.

Witnesses are two people called Gray.

Think that's it

murray12

« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:27 BST (UK) »
To be honest, I don't know if John and or Jane were alive in 1871. They could both have died before the census was taken.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Aren't John Carrick's parents mentioned at all?   I know it's a very long shot but sometimes the two families might be from the same area.   About Margaret's parents, you says 'as before' From what you have written I would expect
'John Brown, Miner, deceased
Jane Brown MS Gillan deceased'
Please let us know if that deviates in any way from what the certificate shows.
You thought Margaret was born in Holytown, Hamilton or Glasgow, but she's married in Partick so what was the reason you thought Holytown or Hamilton might come into it?
I know I sound as if I'm interrogating you, but honesty I'm just trying to help! Sometimes it's just the odd word that makes all the difference
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

murray12

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again

John Carrick's parents are William Carrick and Rebecca Barlow

I found John and Margaret in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses. In 1891 and 1901 Margaret gives her birthplace as Glasgow - bit in 1911 it is given as Holytown. Margaret died in 1911.

On her death certificate John her husband gave her parents names as John Brown and Margaret Ferguson - different mother from the marriage certificate!!!!!!!!

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
Now that is interesting, because it may be that John Brown married twice. 
There's a marriage between John Brown and Margaret Ferguson in Glasgow in 1864 in Glasgow Central.    By my reckoning Margaret would be around 2 or 3 at that point.   Ref is 644/01 0183 if you want to see what else it says, because with luck it will give you an address, and details of whether this John was a miner, plus details of his parents. 
If Margaret was the daughter of a Jane Gillan who died when she was small she might list her mother on her marriage certificate, but an informant in 1911 who had known her stepmother might think of her instead.    Not proven, but anything is possible.

Was the wording around Margaret's parents what I'd thought earlier?  In particular it matters whether Jane was listed as Jane Brown MS Gillan or Jane Gillan.   I know these seem petty questions but they often hold the clue to finding answers.

murray12

« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 April 11 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have the 1864 certificate. John is indeed a coal miner from Armadale - and is also listed as a bachelor.

murray12

« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 April 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
Oh and on the marriage certificate Jane is listed as Jane Brown ms Gillan

The informant in 1911 on the death cert was John Carrick - her husband

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 April 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
Drew, sorry, just realised you'd put your name on your original posting.

As you say, it's confusing that Margaret's 2 pieces of definite information (marriage and death certificates) give two different mothers.    You say you have the 1864 certificate for the marriage between John Brown and Margaret Ferguson, but I'm not at all clear if you think this could be your John Brown or not?

You mention he was a miner from Armadale.  If you think he could be yours, how old was he at the time of the marriage?    What was his address?  If you post everything on that certificate it would be worth tracking John and Margaret in the 1871 census and seeing if there is a small girl called Margaret in their household.    I did try just now but there are a lot to choose from so the details from the marriage certificate would help identify the family.