Author Topic: 19th Hussars and World War 1  (Read 2232 times)

Offline susannon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th Hussars and World War 1
« on: Saturday 23 April 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
My grandfather William George Parker was in the Hussars, so family legend has it, in WW1.  There was a picture of him in uniform apparently, though it was destroyed after his death (he wasn't father of the year apparently!)  After much trying I have found a William George Parker in the 19th Hussars, number 2776.

Family legend also has it that he was dishonourably discharged and sent to prison for 'violence', which in WW1 seems a little strange.  However when I found a medal card for his name it appears he was sent to France on the 10th September 1914 and there is no KR392 on the card, which is the code, I believe, for Dishonourable discharge. 

I have also found a pension record saying a William George Parker was awarded a pension for debility.

Please can anyone tell me how I can find out if this is my grandfather and what debility might be? ???  Thank you very much.

Sue

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Hussars and World War 1
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
Can't help with the war record, but

Debility is the old name for general ill health and decline.
These days it might be diagnosed as  chronic fatigue syndrome, or PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder).
Then again, he may have been injured and just wasn't getting better.  This was before the days of antibiotics etc., remember.

Dawn M.
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline susannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawn,  :D I suppose it could have been PTSD, he did rather take to the drink after coming back.  I wonder why I ever ask the relatives about ancestors, you just get stories where most of which are either untrue or exaggerated in some way!  I still don't know if this is the right man, I expect I shall have to go to Kew to find out, or pay someone to look him up for me.  Best wishes,  Sue

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
hi sue
i,ve been through the service records and pension records but i can,t find the record you speak of when you found the pension record did it have the  army no on it . did it also have 19th hussars on it , and where did you find it .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline susannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trevor.  I found the medal card in the National Archives website, cost £2, which has my grandfather's (?) number and regiment and the date of departure.  Apparently he went to France in Sep 1914 with the 6th Division.  I then found the pension records (the unburnt records) in Kew also at Pin 26/11034 with references CY/118 1748, which I could do because I had his regiment number and details.

Luckily I found the medal card before the pension records.

Best wishes,

Sue  :)