Author Topic: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London  (Read 33810 times)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 April 11 03:45 BST (UK) »
Well Webber street is a reasonably long road in Lamberth that crosses Blackfriars road. No really near the Bridge though.

Union street runs parallel to Webber.

Borough High street is also close and leads onto the Bridge so they were right about that bit... so they don't seem to have move too far.  All addresses in a few blocks actually.
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #28 on: Monday 25 April 11 16:48 BST (UK) »

Offline GarrettJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 July 11 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All.

Zacharia Robert Garrett was my Great Grand Father on my dads side so I am very happy top have found this post.  It certainly helps fill in a few birth dates for the family. 

To my family, Zacharia was always known as Robert, and they were most baffled when I dug up his birth cert.

I am looking for information on his wife - Sarah Alice Brown, born 1872 - I have hit a brick wall with her so any info would be great.

I would also love to know more about the mother of Zacharia, Elizabeth Maher 1839-1887.  Was she born in the UK or Ireland as my Aunts seem to believe??  Any info would be amazing. . .

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 July 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello J Garrett,
 I guess you and I would be 3rd cousins. Z. Robert Garrett was my great-grandfather's brother. My great-grandfather was George James Garrett(1867-1948). You can see some photos of George that I have posted here.
 I'd like to know, too, if Elizabeth Maher Garrett was born in Ireland as well...
 I have transcribed letters that your great-grandfather wrote to my great-grandfather before 1890. We've always wondered how the family did after those dates. I'm sure my ancestor kept in touch with yours.

I should note....my great grandparents named their first child Robert Garrett(1890-1967), and then my grandfather, Alfred Garrett(1892-1985) named his first child Robert Thomas Garrett(1915-2001)....you know how the saying goes, "Bob's your uncle"!

John Mangano
p.s. I too, was surprised to hear that Robert Garrett's first name was actually Zacharia.

Offline GarrettJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 July 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hey Mangano,

They are great photo's indeed and I am trying to see if there is a physical resemblance between any one in the photos and myself:)  Not that I can see - maybe the chin my Wife informs me:)

I would love to see a copy of the letters, such a link to the past! 

I don't think the name Robert carried on down my line, but James and Thomas certainly did. 

I will do some digging into Elizabeth Maher and see what I can dig up, the older generation certainly believe that she was, or her parents came from Ireland, but with no factual evidence - only suspicion and speculation!

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 July 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
 I see on the blogs here that your great grandmother, Sarah Alice Brown, was the daughter of James Brown, a tallow chandler and that she was born in Bermondsey, that she married Zachariah Robert Garrett on 1 April 1893 at Southwark Christ Church....

would love to know where they are buried, Richard and Elizabeth Garrett, it might give us clues...

I got the date of death of Elizabeth Maher Garrett from the letters. I also got a copy of the death cerificate from England.

also, the second witness for the marriage of your great-grandparents is Ellen Jane Brown....could be the mother, could be a sister....turns out to be younger sister
by the way, my mother's maiden name was Lowell Mae Garrett(1927-2003)....there are lots of Garrett cousins in the states....

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 July 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
Nice Pictures!

Richard Garrett married Elizabeth Maher in 1864 in Lambeth. If you would like to buy the certificate:
Dec q 1d 621

Alice Maud Garrett married William Bevins (a Manchester warehouseman) in 1905 in Southwark. They had two daughters I can find (but can't give details of possible living people).
The youngest daughter (Alice Maud N Francis nee Bevins - 1912-1987) married in 1933 and had a son and a daughter.
Alice Maud Bevins died in 1968 in Greater London.

You have the family in the 1881 census where Elizabeth is a chair caner. She gives her POB as Southwark - so she's not the Irish one!
I have an ancestor as well, born in 1859 and the family always said she was Irish. However, she was born in Strand and her parents were Irish so maybe it's the same with your Elizabeth.

1881 census
117 Snowsfields, Bermondsey, Surrey
RG11 0558/16 26
BROWN
James, Head, M, 44, born Hertford, Tallow Sampler [probably meant to be chandler]
Charlotte, Wife, M, 45, born Worcester
Sarah A., Daur, 9, born Bermondsey
Ellen K., Daur, 6, born Bermondsey
Alfred J., Daur, 4, born Bermondsey
Plus two boarders: George Harrington, 52 and John H. Fudger, 19 - both unmarried general labourers.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 July 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
thank you so much CV-S....I know my cousin J Garrett will appreciate that information....as to Elizabeth Maher....I'd like to know more about her...she was 48 when she died. Some of her children may have been named after her parents...perhaps her parents were the ones from Ireland.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 July 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
200 High Street
Boro London
L. E.

18/11/(18)90

Dear George,
 I write these few lines to you hoping to find you in good health as it leaves us at present not one but all am I am sorry to say Tom firm as gone wrong and that he has got the sack on Sat the 15th the instant after a time of eight years but I think that all the others are all right and I don't see why you should want father out there in fact I think that he would be afraid to cross the sea but never said anything about it.

father is all right in health and Tom the same Liz, Alice, Sarah and myself all right.

I'll tell you that  Dick is come back after being away for 1 year and a half but you need not say anything about him in the next letter. Aunt Alice is queer and not able to work uncle Sam is all right and so is his wife which both send to you their respects and best wishes for Christmas Aunt Alice the same that's all we know about the family for the others because they have a fw togs or cloths and go to church don't think they are to speak to the likes of us but that wont hurt me.

I'll give you my word. that is all I have to say for the present hoping the this history and writing will please you and not offend you. I must conclude with a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all her.
Good Bye
R. Garrett
 I thank you very much for your last letter.

The letter above is one of the last correspondances between George James Garrett and (Zachariah)Robert Garrett in 1890.