Author Topic: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London  (Read 33728 times)

Offline archsj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 22 November 18 07:31 GMT (UK) »
That's a lot of Garretts!
Please tell me about when and why (and who) Richard moved to America, this is so fascinating.

I think one of your earlier posts suggested a link between our Wells Garretts and a Garratt, which you discounted because of a disparity in wealth... I spoke with my mum last night and she mentioned that apparently there was MONEY in the family but it was handed down to the wrong part of the family, which caused a little bad blood to the point that caused one particular Garrett family to adopt/add the "Wells" name to create some sort of separation.
If this was true, could it be your previous link may be correct. Just a thought.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 22 November 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Richard stayed in London. His son George James Garrett 1867-1948 came to America....in the  1880s. It is said he had something to do with the navy. Something exploded on ship near New York. The British Navy left him behind and he decided to stay. He wrote to his family in London, and they back to him. He married a Swedish girl named Emma Andersdotter 1866-1955 in 1890. He had 5 children.
As to the cousins who kept Wells as part of their name, they thought it good luck and used it for generations as a middle name. Some of them moved to Australia.

Offline LouGarrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 10 December 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
In my tree I have an Arthur Edwin Wells Garrett, son of Richard Wells Garrett and Catherine Pearson, who married Ellen Eliza Moss....he would be my second cousin, twice removed. There was a mention of being a hatter.

Hi - its been a few years and I've picked this up again trying to find out a bit more about my grandfather's dad Arthur Edward Wells-Garrett.

I had thought I was related to Arthur Edwin Wells-Garrett but I'm not so sure. The mystery seems to be that Arthur Edward also married an Ellen Wells-Garrett (my grandad's mum). This is what Teresa Pask Kindly passed on:

My grandad was Thomas Wells-Garrett.
>
> At https://www.gro.gov.uk, we found your grandfather's birth registration 1912/Q4 GARRETT, Thomas Wells MOSS Southwark 1d 19.
>
> At findmypast.co.uk, we found his military information - son of Arthur Eward Wells-Garrett and Ellen Wells-Garrett of Southwark London; husband of Daisy Wells-Garrett, of Southwark.
>
> In the 1939 Register, he was listed at 6 Banks House, Southwark, London., living with James H. WALTERS, and Eliza A. WALTERS. His date of birth was given as 16 October 1912 (this coincides with his birth registration).
>
> In Ancestry.co.uk, we found his baptism. See attached. This confirms his date of birth.
>
> Also in Ancestry, we found the marriage of Ellen WELLS-GARRETT, Ellen
> Wells-Garrett aged 20 born 1906. She married 1 Aug 1926 at St. Paul's
> Southwark. Her father was listed as Arthur Edwin Wells-Garrett
> (deceased). A witness was J.H. WALTERS (the same as in the 1939
> Register?)
>

Can you shed anymore light on who Arthur Edwin Wells-Garrett and if he had any cousins/brothers ? I believe my grandad Thomas had a sister Ellen.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Found an  Edwin Arthur Wells Garrett married Rosina in 1971 but it looks as if they were together for years before, although not sure he is your man

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 10 December 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Found an  Edwin Arthur Wells Garrett married Rosina in 1971 but it looks as if they were together for years before, although not sure he is your man

Louisa Maud
It appears that Arthur Edwin Wells Garrett died during war times on 27 May 1918 and is buried in France....Soissons, Departement de l'aisne, Picardie, France.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 10 December 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
As to siblings of Arthur I have these:
Richard Thomas Wells-Garrett 1881-1957
Alfred Henry Wells-Garrett 1884-1967
Catherine Annie Wells-Garrett 1888-1922
Lillian Wells-Garrett 1891-1977
Arthur Edwin Wells-Garrett(of course is 1886-1918

Offline LouGarrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What seems interesting is that Arthur Edward Wells-Garrett also married a MOSS - Ellen Moss? Did Ellen have siblings?

Arthur Edwin also married an Ellen Moss? Confused!

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Was wondering if there is any newspaper or other items that tell the story how Richard Garrett received sentences or other in the beginning of 1888? His wife died in December of 1887, he had problems after that....Thomas was a son of Richard Garrett and George was another. George was my great grandfather, living in America most likely at this time in 1888/89

Offline Sue.W

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 15 July 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, fascinated by your thread.  My great Grandad was a hatter- surname Wells-Garrett.  Walworth Road.  I'm aware he had a number of sons.  My Grandad was his son, William. 
:)  Sue.