Author Topic: Patrick Gilligan  (Read 3587 times)

Offline seanybear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Gilligan
« on: Sunday 24 April 11 03:09 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help me in my task to the family background of Patrick Gilligan born 1858 in Ireland and Catherine Timoney born 1864 in Ireland.

Patrick and Catherine are my grandmothers parents her name was Susy (Susan) Gilligan who was born in Hutchesontown, Scotland along with her siblings James, Thomas, Ellen M, John and Catherine

the was family was found in 1901 living in 91 Commercial Street, Hutchesontown which states that Patrick Gilligan and Catherine Timoney where both born in Ireland possibly married in Ireland too.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Gilligan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
Since Patrick's birth is before the start of full civil registration in Ireland (1864) so you would need to check for parish records to find baptism details for him and his family. To start this you first need to know the family religion and where they lived at the time, i.e. which parish, so you can check what records (if any) are available.

If Catherine was born in 1864, or later, then her birth should be included in civil records, but you would probably need to establish a bit more detail on her to confirm any births you might find. If they married in Ireland then there should also be a civil, marriage record for them - see these topics :

My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Scottish birth certificates list date and place of parents' marriage so you should be able to get that information and then will know where to search for the marriage (Ireland or Scotland).
If you don't have it already, Susan's birth certificate should be available from Scotland's People website.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Margaret Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 October 19 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know you posted this enquiry years ago but just saw it.  My great grandmother, Bridget Gilligan had a brother, Patrick Gilligan.  I have been able to find his baptism record but nothing else. If he is who you are looking for his family came from Lumcloon, Cloghan via Birr, County Offaly (King's County) Mother: Mary O'Brien father James Gilligan.
This is a copy of the baptism record

Name Patritium GilliganBaptism Age0 Event Type Baptism Birth Date1852 Baptism Date17 Mar 1852 Baptism Place Gallen and Reynagh, Offaly, Ireland Parish Variants Banagher, Cloghan, Cloghan and Banagher, Gallen, Reynagh Diocese Ardagh FatherJosephi(transcription error should be James Gilligan Mother Marie Bryan (Mary O'Brien).

I have some information on the Gilligan's of Lumcloon so get back to me if it is him.

Margaret Williams
Wahroonga
NSW Australia

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 October 19 09:54 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Margaret  :)

Unfortunately seanybear hasn't been logged in since July 2011 but hopefully if his/her e-mail hasn't changed he/she will get a notification of your post.

If you post at least once more, you will be able to use the PM (Personal Message) system to contact seanybear.

See: https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline jgde87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know you posted this enquiry years ago but just saw it.  My great grandmother, Bridget Gilligan had a brother, Patrick Gilligan.  I have been able to find his baptism record but nothing else. If he is who you are looking for his family came from Lumcloon, Cloghan via Birr, County Offaly (King's County) Mother: Mary O'Brien father James Gilligan.
This is a copy of the baptism record

Name Patritium GilliganBaptism Age0 Event Type Baptism Birth Date1852 Baptism Date17 Mar 1852 Baptism Place Gallen and Reynagh, Offaly, Ireland Parish Variants Banagher, Cloghan, Cloghan and Banagher, Gallen, Reynagh Diocese Ardagh FatherJosephi(transcription error should be James Gilligan Mother Marie Bryan (Mary O'Brien).

I have some information on the Gilligan's of Lumcloon so get back to me if it is him.

Margaret Williams
Wahroonga
NSW Australia

Hi Margaret; it looks like we are related; my Gilligans are also from Lumcloon and the names match. Did your great grandmother have a brother John born 1851 who married an Anne Guinan? I'm interested in the information you have on the Gilligans from Lumcloon?

Offline Margaret Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 21 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi jgde87,

It would certainly appear as though we are related. John Gillligan married to Anne Guinean was my great grandmother, Bridget Gilligan’s younger brother. I have just seen your post so sorry for delay in responding. You can pm me. I am in Sydney, Australia.

Regards

Margaret Williams

Offline jgde87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 March 21 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi jgde87,

It would certainly appear as though we are related. John Gillligan married to Anne Guinean was my great grandmother, Bridget Gilligan’s younger brother. I have just seen your post so sorry for delay in responding. You can pm me. I am in Sydney, Australia.

Regards

Margaret Williams

Certainly will. Hope to hear from you soon!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 April 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=gilligan&firstname=&county=King%27s&townland=&parish=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=&pager.offset=10

Gilligan   Patt      Lampcloone & Derrycarney   Gallen   King's   1823
Gilligan   Thomas   Lampcloone & Derrycarney   Gallen   King's   1823
Gilligan   Peter      Lampcloone & Derrycarney   Gallen   King's   1823
Gilligan   Peter      Lompcloone   Gallen   King's   1823

Connor   William   Lumcloon   Gallen   King's   1823
Guinan         Lumcloon   Gallen   King's   1823
Guinan   Mark      Lumcloon   Gallen   King's   1823
Fitzsimmons   Thomas   Lumcloon   Gallen   King's   1823
Kenny            Lumcloon   Gallen   King's   1823
Temple   John      Lumcloon   Gallen   King's   1823

from griffiths valuation quick index is https://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
Gilligan   Patrick   Derrycarney   Gallen   Offaly
Gilligan   James      Noggusboy   Gallen   Offaly
Gilligan   James      Lumcloon   Gallen   Offaly
Gilligan   Denis      Noggusboy   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Peter      Attinkee   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Michael   Coolreagh or Cloghan Hill   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Thomas   Tn of Cloghan,(Creggan)   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Thomas   Stonestown   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Valentine   Minus Island   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Valentine   Clononybeg   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Martin   Lumcloon   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Laurence   Lumcloon   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   John      Coolreagh or Cloghan Hill   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Daniel      Lumcloon   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   John      Lumcloon   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   John      Stonestown   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Lack      Stonestown   Gallen   Offaly
Guinan   Daniel      Creggan and Glosterboy   Gallen   Offaly

using askaboutireland just for Gilligan gives much more detail inc boundary map of property, somtimes leading to present dat street scene of the old homestead area on current google and satelite views etc.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
GILLIGAN   PATRICK   King's County (Offaly)   GALLEN
GILLIGAN   PATRICK   King's County (Offaly)   GALLEN
GILLIGAN   JAMES      King's County (Offaly)   GALLEN
GILLIGAN   DENIS      King's County (Offaly)   GALLEN
looking one up , on this website  the first James is in Lumcloon
GILLIGAN   JAMES   King's County (Offaly)   GALLEN
it has a map ref 33 and is a small farm of 10 acres and house valued at 15 shillings pa but I cant find it on the provided map for Lumcloon which is strange.  in can find properties up to 27 and then nothing so im missing less than ten map references. A first experience on this wonderful website since I stated using it.   I had thought seeing the actual homestead area on google maps would especially interest you both   

So instead of leaving you happily
I ask for help
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide