Author Topic: Heighgrove Coal Pit  (Read 2768 times)

Offline LilyAllenfan86

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heighgrove Coal Pit
« on: Sunday 24 April 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about the Heighgrove Coal pit in Somerset around the High Littleton area my 7x great Grandfather John Chivers was the Coal Bailiff in 1759 he was killed in an accident there on April 17 1759 and was buried the next day, he left behind a widow and ten children.
 One of his sons Thomas Chivers who had been born in 1741 in High Littleton and had married three times was also killed in a mining accident in 1796 at the Tyning Coal Works in Radstock, I would love any information about the seperate accidents which occured to cause the deaths of these two men and any info about the two mines in question.

Kind Regards
Beth
Glamorgan-Price, Taylor, Davies, Hopkins, Thomas
Monmouthshire-Price, Jones, Jones, James
Somerset, Warren, Chivers, Taylor, Lockyer, Challenger, Sweet, Perry, Lane, Parfitt, Purnell, Allen, Nash, Bendall
Devon-Coles, Carew, Short, Nicholls, Buzzem
Cornwall-Trethewey, Best, Cundy, Brokenshire
Caernarvonshire-Jones, Hughes
Edinburgh-Dagger, Mowatt
Dublin-Ward, Connor, Nelson, Spencer, Johnson
Breconshire-Price, Meredith
Pembrokeshire-John, Gibby, Nicholas
Gloucestershire-Edwards

Offline Robert0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Heighgrove Coal Pit
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Beth,
My name is Robert Radford, and John Chivers was my my 5th great grandfather. I am related to him through my great grandmother Christiana Mary Payne who was the daughter of Harriet Chivers leading to John. I can tell you the following that John was born April 17th  1710 and died on April 17th  1759 which was his 49th birthday. He was married and sadly left behind 10 children according to newspaper reports I have read.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/11419166/1-high-littleton-mining-deaths-high-littleton-and-hallatrow-[/b][/b]
James Chivers was also killed in a mine disaster at 

I have a public family tree on ancestry.com/DNA which you are welcome to visit and can view all the Chivers family and others related to me and them if you wish. I would like to know about you and how we are related also. Radford Family Tree 
regards, Robert.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 21 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert and welcome to RootsChat,
Beth hasn't been on here since 2013, however hopefully she still has the same email address and will receive notification of your post. I'm sure she would like to hear from you.

Offline Trecarne2022

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 22 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Beth,
My name is Robert Radford, and John Chivers was my my 5th great grandfather. I am related to him through my great grandmother Christiana Mary Payne who was the daughter of Harriet Chivers leading to John. I can tell you the following that John was born April 17th  1710 and died on April 17th  1759 which was his 49th birthday. He was married and sadly left behind 10 children according to newspaper reports I have read.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/11419166/1-high-littleton-mining-deaths-high-littleton-and-hallatrow-[/b][/b]
James Chivers was also killed in a mine disaster at 

I have a public family tree on ancestry.com/DNA which you are welcome to visit and can view all the Chivers family and others related to me and them if you wish. I would like to know about you and how we are related also. Radford Family Tree 
regards, Robert.

Hi my name is Austin Bishop, my wife is researching my family tree and she has turned up that John Chivers killed in the mine accident is my 7 times grandfather.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Trecarne2022 and welcome to RootsChat.

Hopefully Robert0 will receive notification of your post and be along soon to reply. He was last active here in November 2021, so hopefully will receive an email of your posting on this thread.  :)