Author Topic: MICHAEL family Swansea - Jewish BDM records 1740-1880  (Read 15914 times)

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MICHAEL family Swansea - Jewish BDM records 1740-1880
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 January 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mike,

Happy 2018!

Dear Mike,
Would love to hear from you re the family connection;  Harts and Michaels.  You were kind enough to write some time ago that you would be sending more information about the family, so would LOVE to hear more.   My children are at an age now - in their 50s - to take an interest in our ancestry - particularly the Penzance Harts etc.  A wonderful portrait entitled "The Old Jew" by John Opie has just been purchased by the Penlee House and Museum, and the sitter is thought to be that of Rabbi Abraham Hart.   Hope very much to hearing from you.   Best wishes, Stephanie Warburton
Norrish, Carey,Michael, Hutton
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline zennovice

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,
New to this. Hope it works. According to family-lore, I've ancestors who've 1) been hanged for sheep-stealing in Wales and 2) served in the [U.S.] Continental Army - a "Colonel Coombs". If you're interested in particulars, I'll get my sister to track them down. Best, Colby

Offline showard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I am new on here, but have been doing quite a bit of research into the Michael's of Swansea.
I am related through David Michael, Levi Michael, Jacob Michael, Lemon Hart Michael, and Henry Lemon Michael being my g grandfather.
Does anyone know where the Michael family came from in Germany?
David Michael's wife was Rachel ... does anyone know her last name?
Would be happy to chat!
Susan

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan,

You may have read my previous posts on the Swansea Michaels, along with those of Jim Walduck - a connection living in Australia who has made me his guest on Ancestry.co.uk, from where I have gleaned a lot of hereto unknown family history;  some of which is fascinating.  In answer to your query, no one seems to have a clear idea from where in Germany the Michaels' hailed from.   One theory was Hamburg where they were supposed to be bankers (money lenders probably.)  They were intending to go to the US but stopping off in Swansea decided to settle there.   My great grandfather was Michael Amos Michael, who was the son of Jacob and Rosetta 'Rose' Hart. My grandfather was Reginald Warburton Michael.   No surname given for Rachel - David Michael's wife.  Best wishes, Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline showard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie,
I was so excited to see I had received a reply to my post!  I really wasn't expecting anything so soon -  if anything at all ... thank you so much for taking the time.
Are you referring to Jacob Michael (1795-1882) and Rosetta (Rosy) Hart (1793-1863).. married in 1824?  If so, my gx2 grandfather was Lemon Hart Michael, one of their sons.
There are quite a few 'Jacob's and 'Rosy's in the family, sometimes a bit confusing.
Thanks again for all the info you sent, I find it all so interesting and fascinating.
Susan 

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Susan!   Good to hear from you as well.  If your gx2 grandfather was Lemon Hart Michael then his brother was Walter Amos Michael - my great grandfather!  So we are quite close.  I am - a youthful 78 year old - so you will be much younger.  It has taken sometime to work out who belongs to whom so hope you agree with my findings.   The Lemon rum story is amazing.   As I said, we have an interesting family tree.  Not sure if you have read the previous correspondence between Jim Walduck and myself on Roots, or is this private to me.  Jim has been invaluable.  I think he and I are 4th cousins.  He once came over from Australia to visit Swansea to see what else he could discover.  My first cousin, Jonathan Michael, has numerous Michael family portraits.  As Jim's guest on Ancestry I am only allowed to see the tree rather than any histories as this would involve me in paying the full subscription which I am loathe to do, but perhaps you might be interested.   Any new info from your side would be invaluable!   Best wishes, Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline showard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 September 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
Good morning Stephanie!
Wow, so seeing as we share Jacob & Rosy as g grandparents, we are somehow related?  This is exciting!  Who would ever know!!
I only came to know of my Jewish decent a couple months ago, when I googled 'Levi Michael' and a picture of his tombstone appeared, it was then when I found out he was buried in the Swansea Jewish Cemetery!  From there, I was able to find out his Father's name, David, and wife Rachel from the JewishGen.org website.
Also learned David had at least 3 other siblings; Abraham, Jacob and Rosa? (from a Jewish Wills website)
I was also able to get in contact with a writer/historian who had written an article on the Swansea Jewish Cemetery "Exploring Swansea's Graveyards" who sent me some pictures of the cemetery and confirmed both Levi and wife Rosy are buried in the Swansea Cemetery.  But could he not find a stone for David.
Do you know where Jacob and Rosy are buried?  ..........or Lemon Hart Michael?
Lemon Hart Michael was my gg grandfather, and I'm assuming he was named after the Lemon Hart family business??!! ... seeing as his Mother was Rosy Hart? ..... wow!
I feel so honored and privileged to be part of this family - SOooo interesting - I had no idea!
My Gramma's Father, Henry Lemon Michael, left when she was only 4, so nothing much of the Michael family got passed along.  I only briefly gathered some dates and names years ago from my Mom and this is what I had to work on when I started a couple of years ago. 
I live in Canada, am 67 and hoping to visit England next Spring, especially to the Swansea area.
I keep reading previous emails trying to piece everyone together.  Again, thanks so much!
Cheers!  Susan

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 September 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan, yes we are related but have not worked out how close.   What fun.  So you are Canadian!  I knew very little about the Michael's family history, in fact, my mother only told me about it very briefly and sotto voce, three years after my father died when I was thirteen.  I got the impression then that it was something to be ashamed of, I regret to say.  However, thanks to my uncle's researches and the timely arrival of Jim Walduck on the scene, I have discovered what an interesting family they are!  Yes, Lemon Hart would indeed be whom your gg grandfather was named after.  What a shame he wasn't around long enough to give your grandmother his background. Have you seen the history of Lemon Hart and his rum on the internet?  His first wife, Letitia, nee Michael - daughter of David and Rachel Michael - had a tragic death which is detailed in the history.  Both Lemon Hart and his second wife are buried in the Brady Street cemetary, Whitechapel, London.   My daughter has visited it and finds it a little gem, tucked away off the busy thoroughfare.  I presume David Michael and his wife Rachel are buried in Swansea, but don't know about a tombstone.  Incidentally, I found an entry on Ancestry that Rachel's maiden name was Griffiths, so presume she was a Gentile.   The Jews were very good at assimilating unlike other persuasions. Still recommend you joining Ancestry.co.uk. as you will find a lot of answers to your queries there, such as death and marriage certificates.   As I mentioned, I used to be able to do this before Ancestry got wise and tightened the rules so that a guest cannot access these unless they pay the full subscription, which I am loathe to do.  Hope some of the above is useful.   All the best, Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan, more research for you.   Was your gt gt grandmother who was married to Lemon Henry Michael, named Esther Mary Wakeford born abt 1867 in Southampton, Hants?  Further dates for Henry Lemon Michael that he was born in 1862 living in Burton Crescent, London.   He died on 13th July, 1928 having lived at 117, Geraldine Road, Wandsworth, Surrey.  Just found this on ancestry.co.uk in another section.   It is quite a confusing site and difficult to get the relationships right as you have to keep moving backwards and forwards.  It used to be much more simple with the family tree spread across got identification, but for some reason they changed the format. Best wishes, Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea