Author Topic: Wardley Street Wandsworth  (Read 66738 times)

Offline AJD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wardley Street Wandsworth
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 13 May 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any photos/information about the Bassett family.  They were travelling hawkers/horse dealers from Sussex who travelled to and settled in Battersea, Donovan's Yard around 1890.  My great grandfather was William Bassett and he married Gentilia Beeney. 

My grandfather was Job Bassett and he married Ellen Bolton.  In 1911 they were living at 74 Wardley St together with Moses and Annie Penfold and John and Annie Chandler, I think they had 8 children together.  Ellen died in 1919 and Job moved to Kennington with my great grandmother Julia Stevens around 1922, they had three children. My dad being the second, Job died when my dad was two years old and he had no contact with his fathers side of the family and had never even seen a photo of his dad.  I have managed to find out quite a bit about the family through Ancestry etc but would love to see a photo of Job or any of his family. 

My grandmother Julia lived with her parents Frederick and Hannah Stevens at 87 Wardley Street and her parents continued to live there for the rest of their lives,  Frederick died in 1945.  Julia was previously married to Henry Marke and had four children with him.  We also don't know anything about what happened to them and although my dad knew about them I don't think he ever actually met them.

I was very interested to read a post on here about Manibula Basset - I am wondering if he was my great uncle Emmanual.  I know that my grandad had a fruit and flower stall/shop and the Beeneys were horse dealers. 

I'd be grateful for any recollections, comments, photos or help.

Many thanks  :)

Offline Anna Hoare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 23 June 22 12:45 BST (UK) »
I loved reading your post, and although I can't add any information to what you already know, I will get in touch if I find any photos or more details. I am still researching Wardley Street's history, and on 22nd October this year (2022) a blue plaque will be unveiled at Wardley Street in commemoration of the history and people of Wardley Street. I am attaching a press realease about the event. Best wishes, Anna

Offline TonyAnd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi AJD.
Job Bassett was my great great uncle (my great grandmother was his sister, Charity). I suspect - through Ancestry hints - that we have the same information! You probably know that William and Gentilly moved to Wardley Street around 1906, no. 93, where Gentilly died. Her parents, Absolom and Letitia appear to have stayed outside London (Surrey/Kent); ditto his parents (Sussex). I'm intrigued to know how they met!
Do get in touch though if you are missing any of this information, and we can see what we have, hopefully we can share quite a bit.
As Anna says, there's a blue plaque being unveiled this Saturday in Wardley Street - which should be a really good event.

Offline AJD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 20 December 22 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Anna and Tony for your replies.  I've only just seen them so unfortunately missed the event but I will look out for forthcoming events and check out the walks which Geoff Simmons organises. Tony I think we have spoken before and shared information on Ancestry which was very helpful and interesting.  I'm afraid I haven't got any further in my search for a photo of my Grandfather - Job or the Bassetts, and sadly I think I have to accept that I probably won't ever know what he looked liked as time goes by and less people are around who might have photos.  Do let me know if you make any further discoveries.  Good luck &  Best wishes, Annie

Offline h.m.a

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 09 July 23 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. :)

Was doing some digging and found that my great-grandfather Harry Hilton was born & raised at 32 Wardley St in 1895. He moved away later (teens/early 20s) but it seems as though some of the family still stuck around the area. Does anyone know of the Hiltons in the road or have a picture that includes the house?

The history is a bit jumbled but it could be assumed that they were a Traveller family. The only other info I could find were a couple of 'Hilton' graves in Wandsworth cemetery but they don't trace back to anyone I recognise for certain.

Many thanks!

Offline The-Duchess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 07 October 23 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,does anyone know/remember the Cox Family, Jimmy,Sheila,Doris, Charlie & Johnny,their Mother's name was Annie Cox.

Jimmy Married Shirley Bottom,her Mother used to live in Garrat Lane.

Offline The-Duchess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 16 October 23 08:31 BST (UK) »
 Hi June Hughes,is Sam the Son of John & Lottie(Charlotte) Hughes,is Billy Ward Sam's Cousin/ relation ?

Offline familymix

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,does anyone know/remember the Cox Family, Jimmy,Sheila,Doris, Charlie & Johnny,their Mother's name was Annie Cox.

Jimmy Married Shirley Bottom,her Mother used to live in Garrat Lane.

I have the full family tree on both sides of parents. Annie Cox (nee Notely) and Charles Henry Cox