Author Topic: Wardley Street Wandsworth  (Read 66809 times)

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wardley Street Wandsworth
« Reply #63 on: Monday 25 April 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Here is a very old photo taken in Wardley Street. I have no idea when exactly. It was in my Nan's possession when she died. She was born Rose Plant at 11 Wardley Street in 1896.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline anne.stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 25 April 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi dragoman I'd love to see the picture outside the Prince of Wales I bet my grandad is there! xx ;)

Offline anne.stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 25 April 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
Dragonman Maybe your Nan Rose was my Nans neighbour when they got moved to aboyne estate!!

Offline anne.stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 25 April 16 15:40 BST (UK) »
My mum got my ears pierced in garratt lane when I was 2 that makes it 54 years ago! of course I never forgot the pain was awful! Mum used to teach me a song from wardley street...'Mandy gel in the woods to lel a bit of crack,up come a gavver to lel poor Mandy acray.Witch Chavvy,Roman Chavvy .Job him in the mooey!(punch him in the face!)' :o There was a fishmongers too and everyday when we went to visit my Nan who was rehoused in aboyne estate my mum bought me a huge whelk instead of sweets and i put the shells along my windowsill when we got back home to Galesbury road up( Earlsfield road) awful council flat in those days!

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 25 April 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
Here is a photo of Wardley Street as it is now. Only a few of the original houses remain - on the left hand side. The Grosvenor Arms is still there though.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline Jolene7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 13 May 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

Im looking to see if there is anyone that would remember my dads family they are from wardley streey my great grandmother was called Caroline smith she had quite a few children can't remember all there names but my grandad was dickie smith hes brothers were Henry,owen, billy and rueben and sisters were Edith,Nancy and pashy .  Just looked threw the older posts and I'm sure  i may be related to lydengrove and r Haworth.

Jolene

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 13 May 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Dragonman Maybe your Nan Rose was my Nans neighbour when they got moved to aboyne estate!!
Hi Anne, my Nan didn't move to Aboyne. She married Walter Nunn from Battersea on the 22nd April 1916 at St. Mark's Church, Battersea Rise and they moved to 8 Dingwall Road, Wandsworth where most of their children, including my Mum, Mary, were born. The house was badly bombed in WW2 and then they moved round the corner to 46 Wilna Road. My Nan lived there all her life until she died in April 1979.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline Mandi G

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 25 August 16 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm new to this I'm interested in your chat bout wardley street my husbands family came from there my husband grandfather HENRY GUMBLE who passed away few years now if anyone has any story's or photos they would like to share I'd b very grateful thank u xxx

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 01 September 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Here is another old photo of Wardley Street. I would guess that it was taken in the 1930's.
Etches, Plant, Nunn