Author Topic: Magregor Perthshire (Weem area)  (Read 2130 times)

Offline mdundas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Magregor Perthshire (Weem area)
« on: Tuesday 26 April 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anybody can help me. My 3 x great-grandmother, Amelia Ann Cameron's maiden name was MacGregor. She was born in Moulin, Perth, in 1817. Her father was Alexander ( b 3/9/1775 in Urlar of Bolfracks, near Weem )and he married Jean Dewar on 1.12.1806 in Weem. Their other children were Jean (1813, Aberfeldy ), Neil ( 1811, Aberfeldy), Catharine (1809, Weem ), Archibald (1807, Castlemenzies ). His father, also Alexander married Margaret Kennedy in 1761. I believe he was from Craigvar and she was from Urlar of Bolfracks. At their marriage, his name is written as Grigor. Their other children were Charles (1782, Urlar), James (1779, Urlar, Kennedy, 1777, Urlar), Grigor (1772, Urlar), Donald (?) and Isabel (1767). I would be so grateful if anybody can help me with any earlier names to this line. Apparently, we had a piece of tartan in the family up until the death of my dad's granny which was reputed to belong to Rob Roy himself. On her death it was thrown out with all her belongings. Shame. I am keen to trace the family line back as far as possible but am now coming up against dozens of Alexanders born in the area at the time so any hints or tips at all would be hugely appreciated! Thank you all. Maxine ( Edinburgh )

Offline RobRoyRelative

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magregor Perthshire (Weem area)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am a McGregor. We are descendants of Rob Roy.
A cousin of mine has done a family tree which I can ask for copy.
I'm from West Lothian.
Most of the McGregors on my side come from Argyll.