Author Topic: St Vincent, West Indies  (Read 17630 times)

Offline shaz78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Vincent, West Indies
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
i think my g grandfather had scotish ancestory, his name was james elliot sprott born in st vincent west indies around the 1860's died early 1900's married to mabel felicia davies, he was a journilist for a local paper in early 1900.  i hope this helps if u would like anymore info plz let me know thanx

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 June 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
I do not have any James Sprotts at all. Did he die in UK?  Do you know his parents or anything that would help trace his ancestry back? I know it's a common enough Scots name but worth delving on the off chance we have a common link.  I also have the surname McKinzie/McKenzie connected to both St Vincent and the Sprotts.

Offline shaz78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
we are not sure on the mckenzie's but sprotts of st vincent yes, do u kknow much about st vincent and the sprotts.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 June 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
Linda, is this the Sprott's who owned Garnkirk estate, Glasgow? one Mark Sprott springs to mind.  They moved away to the Peebles area, Garnkirk House policies are now Crow Wood golf course. They were connected to the Whitelaw's of Gartshore, Twechar.  Maggie Thatcher's "every body needs a Willie!" was one.
 Whether the Sprott's were part of the Glasgow Sugarocracy, I couldn't say, but the former owners of Garnkirk, the Dunlop's had interests in the West Indies and the owners of the adjoining estate,  The Miller's of Frankfield, were merchants in Frankfield, Jamaica.     Skoosh.

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 June 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
As to my knowledge of St Vincent, shaz78, the answer is, sadly, zilch (I`ve tried unsuccessfully to find any BMD records for that period) and very limited on the Sprotts as a whole. Many in the families I am researching died young and of the few that survived seem to disappear.

I think they were more trade, Skoosh, than sugar plantation owners.  John Sprott 1827-1899 was a coachman/stables manager and his daughter Grace McKinzie Sprott married a NZ-born greengroce. By 1858 they were all living in Neston, Cheshire.

Offline Velveteen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 00:11 BST (UK) »
I ran Sprott and Place: St Vincent through the LDS family search site and this is what came up(hope it works): https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ASprott~%20%2Bany_place%3A%22St%20Vincent%22~
Only a few results but you might find something relevant. Sprott is an unusual name, so odds are that these people would be connected to your Sprotts in some way.

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Velveteen, much appreciated. I did come across those Sprotts in the Census which added to the intrigue. If only I could find their births/baptisms and discover who their parents were or at least the father's name. What`s so tantalizing is that they could well be related to mine but I don`t know where to find relevant records.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 June 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
These Sprotts of Garnkirk have a big table stone in Bedlay Cemetery, I believe it was very popular with courting couples in the old days.(before Morris Minor's) This being a mining district, and the Sprotts being pit owners, was maybe poetic justice. I believe Mark? Sprott, known to his chums as "Sprotty", was CO of the Scots Greys!      Skoosh.

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 July 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
I am looking for john Spence family from st. vincents, 1860 about, he was a merchant on the island his wife was ann louisa brown, they had a son benjamin born 1860 we think on the island, benjamin then came to paisley in scotland but i dont know what happened to his parents. I have been looking for 2 years now, hope somebody can help me, does anyone know of birth, marriage or death index on the island about 1840-1900