Author Topic: James Lehane - murdered Ballymakeera Oct/Nov 1920  (Read 2665 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
James Lehane - murdered Ballymakeera Oct/Nov 1920
« on: Wednesday 27 April 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
I am researching this murder by the Auxiliaries of James Lehane. However there are various accounts and dates for this event in Oct/Nov 1920. I was not wanting to bring the Kilmichael ambush into this request, but to narrow it on James Lehane.

A Macroom-based Auxiliary shot James Lehane in the village of Ballymakeera about a month before the Kilmichael ambush. The Auxiliary is named as Gutherie, who died a a result of the Kilmichael Ambush. Twohig's book places Lehane's killing in the context of a major raid on the village of Ballymakeera by the Auxiliaries where practically every house and business in the village is raided. Twohig gives details of who were in various houses and pubs and of the attempts by various IRA men in the village to evade capture.

The death of Lehane is put by Hart at 17th October and Twohig says it was the 20th October. O'Suilleabhain (an IRA man) says 1 Nov and Ryan (a researcher) say 1 Nov .

I cannot find his death in the Irish GRO records, nor is it in the London Times.

Can anyone give me a reference that would confirm when he was shot. Were there any local newspaper reports of the raid
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Lehane - murdered Ballymakeera Oct/Nov 1920
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi corisande,

The Sunday Independent, Sunday 17 October 1920, page 5.

Has a paragraph under the heading SHOT IN COLD BLOOD - Uniformed Men Cause Sensation in Co. Cork, on the murder of James Lehane.  The article indicates that he was shot about 9.00 o'clock on Saturday night (16 October 1920).

Will PM you a copy (in case of copyright, etc).

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 April 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks you very much for that Janet, it was just what I needed.

I have ordered the books by Twohig and O'Suilleabhain which cover the event, and they both give (apparently as I have not read them yet myself) differing dates of 20 Oct and 1 Nov. So to get the newspaper report which places the event in the correct time frame is very useful.

Those were grim days in Cork, and to understand them, it is important to get the dates, and hence the sequence of events right.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline SaltLakeCity

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
 I was born in Ballyhooly and christened in the Catholic Church there. My Grandfather was James Lehane, and my mother Josie was his daughter. Nobody seem to want to talk about him when we were growing up, however I was, and am still curious about him. My Grandmother is buried in Ballyhooly, and my mother is also buried at the Catholic Church Cemetery there.

Does anyone have pictures of him?  I tired to find something about him in the past, and did not find anything until I saw your article. Planning on going to Ireland in June 2021 and want to see what I can dig up before I go.

Hope to hear from you

Thanks,

Ellen

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 20 09:11 BST (UK) »
Death registered as James Leehane on 15th Oct 1920 from gunshot wounds
image not available only transcript

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pz3/