Author Topic: Marriages & Baptisms in Paris, France  (Read 12926 times)

Offline John1789

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages & Baptisms in Paris, France
« Reply #36 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Re Cuquemelle

Thanks for all the information on the Cuquemelle and Michaux families very interesting. 

Louis Alfred Cuquemelle was one of my great, great grandfathers.  I have a document which I take to be the original, or 'an original copy' of, the marriage certificate of L A Cuquemelle and Reine Warnier on 16th October 1858.  This took place in the (old) 12th arrondissement - unfortunately I previously misread the smudged number on the official stamp as '19th' arrondissement, but at the top of the page it clearly says 'le marie du douzieme arrondissement'.  (Also, I see that there were only 12 arrondissements until 1860).

He appears to have served in the French army from 1849 to 1856, spending time in Africa and the Crimean War.

At some point he moved to London  - I wish I knew why - followed in February 1862 by his wife and 13 month old daughter (my great grandmother) Victorine. (I have the Passeport a l'Interieur.)

Hope this is of interest.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
and the document clearly states that he is the child of Jean Georges Marie CUQUEMELLE and Adélaïde MICHAUX, born in 1828, right ?
Who are the parents of the bride ?

Offline John1789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 24 February 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
No, you're wrong there, the document is a straightforward certification of the marriage, it does not give details of either set of parents.

I do, however, have a document headed 'Conge de Liberation' for Louis Alfred Cuquemelle which says that he is the son of Jean Georges Marie and the late Adelaide Michaux and that he was born 5th Sept 1828.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 24 February 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
That's why I asked.
I wanted to be sure that we got the right Louis Alfred CUQUEMELLE.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 07 April 18 18:21 BST (UK) »

Offline TomThorpe364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 03 December 21 17:16 GMT (UK) »
After alot of research I believe I have found the reason Louis Alfred Cuquemelle moved to England. I found that his Father in Law Joseph Warner. Father of his wife Reine Warnier also resided in Birmingham.

I found that the father in Law Joseph was born in 1813. It seems he got married in 1833 to a presumably French lady named Jeanne Guerin in Paris. Then for whatever reason (this I havent found out) he got married again to a lady named Elisabeth Thomas in 1851 in Paris. This lady's name being an English name can only make me assume he moved to England to be with her. With his daughter, her husband and their children later following.

Louis was a brass maker. His wife Reine and her father Joseph were both Lamp makers. Louis died at the age of 40 in the St James area of Westminster, which was an extremely affluent area.