Author Topic: bridget dolan  (Read 4934 times)

Offline vienna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bridget dolan
« on: Thursday 28 April 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a marriage record for Bridget Dolan and John Brodigan, I believe they got married in 1838 as there first child Bridget was baptised in Drogheda in 1839, they had three other children, Cath B. 1840, Catherine B. 1842 and John B.1845. If anyone has any information on this family I would be very grateful if you could pass it on to me .

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: bridget dolan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
Which church did the baptism you mentioned take place in ?

The marriage could have taken place in the same location..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline vienna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't know , I got the information off a site called www.rootsireland.ie, it didn't give the name of the church but it did say they were Roman Catholic.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
The RootsIreland record should mention which parish the baptism took place in.

Once you have that you can check what dates are covered by marriage records in  the parish..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at the index on RootsIreland and the parish is listed as just 'Drogheda'. At the National Library there are records for two different parishes in the town of Drogheda - St. Mary's and St. Peter's

Based on the dates they give - I'd say the records RootIreland have relate to St. Peter's

Marriage records for the parish go back to 1815 but many of those before 1842 are apparently in very poor condition (some very faint).. so it may not have been possible for RootsIreland to transcribe all of these

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline vienna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, have you any other ideas how I might trace this family? I am particulary interested in their son John.
Vienna

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
The records for the parish seem to be available on an LDS Microfilm - the reference given on the Irish Times Website is :    

LDS Family history library - British Film Area - 0926036/7

You could try ordering this film, and looking though it to see if you can read any additional details for a marriage or baptism... but this might be quite difficult work

Even if you did locate a marriage it would probably be very basic information - e.g. date of marriage, bride & grooms names and maybe witnesses

Do you have John Jnr's place of birth from a census or other record ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
The index on RootsIreland has a baptism in 1845 for a John Brodigan in Co. Louth with father John... have you already tried this ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline vienna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
I think John Jrn could be my Great Great Grandfather. He was in the merchant navy and married Martha Jones in 1877 in wales. I have two records for him , the one is his marriage cert where he gives his fathers name as John,  occupation carpenter, and the other is a crew list where his place of birth is given as Keil. no one in the family seems to know much about him, but there have been rumours about him jumping a ship and wanting to keep his identity secret.I have a copy of the record you mentioned.
Vienna