Author Topic: "Lisces" belonging to property  (Read 1787 times)

Offline lewin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Lisces" belonging to property
« on: Thursday 28 April 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am trying to decipher a will from 1813.  The testator leaves a number of properties and with 2 of them it says "leave to (name) the house where he now lives with the lisces thereunto belonging.  The word "lisces" appears twice (see attached).   I am pretty certain this is what it says, does anyone have an idea what this means?  He does not use this phrase with some other houses or with the fields that he leaves.  The properties are in Devon.
Also on the photo attached, it says "John Sprague the house where he now lives xxxxx.  Could this word be situated?  It looks more like withsomething....
Any ideas appreciated.  Thank you

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Lisces" belonging to property
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi lewin,

I think that the first bit is: "John Sprague the house where he now lives sittuate in the parish..." - meaning situate.

I'm not sure about the lisces word - it certainly looks like li_es, but I can't think  of anything that would fit. I'm wondering whether it could be a spelling of 'leases'?

Alexander

Offline lewin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 11 21:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alexander, I hadn't thought of leases, that makes sense. And situate.  Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.
Lewin

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
John Sprague the house where he now lives sittuate in the parish --- Littlethorn and bequeath aforesaid
unto the ------? thereunto belonging & disposal. Also I give and devise and bequeath unto my son
William Spraque the house W, Wickens house he is with leaces then unto belonging and ----? ------? the parish
in the same count at his own disposal. Also I give and bequeath to my son John Sprague etc
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 April 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
My immediate thought was licenses, were the properties licensed premises, i.e. pubs etc.?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 April 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Maybe a archive search of deeds etc also general doc's may reveal more  clues or even later census years.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth