Author Topic: Walter Casson & Catherine McGlinchy  (Read 8102 times)

Offline emcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Casson & Catherine McGlinchy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 June 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've only just discovered this site and this thread, by googling the name I'm looking for.
My great grandmother Mary McDaid (nee McGlinchey) of Derry City had a younger sister Catherine, they were daughters of Edward McGlinchey & Mary Jane Donaghy. I think Catherine is the same person as Cassie Casson (the person who registered the births of 2 of Mary's children). I know the Casson's were cousins of the McDaid/McGlinchey family, I just can't prove how. I've recently been told "the cassons were cousins apparently wally and Lizzy casson brother and sister married Lilly and johnny park  brother and sister."
Any help or info would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Emer

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 June 15 06:18 BST (UK) »
Not sure how relevant any of this is, but just for information, the PRONI website carries the following Will Calendar index entry:

Casson Kathleen of 8 Meehan's Row Waterside Londonderry widow died 17 November 1956 Administration W/A Londonderry 23 September to Elizabeth Park married woman. Effects £333 5s.

GRONI online has the above death registered under Catherine Casson, with a reported age of 75.

GRONI online has a marriage registered in Derry registration district for a Walter Casson to Lily Parke, the marriage took place on 5 April 1926.

There's also a mention in the 1924 Derry Journal of 4 boys from Meehan's Row - Walter Casson, Bernard Keenan, Thomas Gourley and Edward McDaid - being fined 5s for playing cards on the street.

Edited to add: Picking up on "8 Meehan's Row", there is the following:

Parke, Daniel, Lance-Corporal, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 8 Meehan's Row Waterside Londonderry, Died, Aug 1915

https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarbelfast/home/service-personnel-pictures-list

Also the following in 1957:

MEEHAN'S ROW
6 Thomas Parke
8 John Parke

ROULSTON AVENUE
6 Walter Casson, sen

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/the-streets-of-derry-in-1957-1-6229228

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 June 15 06:42 BST (UK) »
Speculative, but given all the "Parke" forenames covered, is this a possibility in 1911, just to note until you can rule in or out (the couple is Alexander Parke and Jane Canning):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__5_Urban/Gross_Street/606213/

Edited to add: Disregard for the moment, there seems to be a confusion over Daniel Parke, CWGC and other sources are suggesting the son of Alexander and Catherine Parke of 79 Dungiven Road...

http://www.diamondwarmemorial.com/soldiers/view/985

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 June 15 06:55 BST (UK) »
And this Will Calendar index entry from PRONI:

Casson Walter of 8 Meehan's Row Waterside Londonderry retired soldier in H.M. army died 16 September 1951 at the Mental Hospital Strand Road Londonderry Administration Londonderry 3 December to Cassie Casson the widow. Effects £279.

GRONI online has the death registered with a reported age of 67.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 June 15 10:44 BST (UK) »

... Disregard for the moment, there seems to be a confusion over Daniel Parke, CWGC and other sources are suggesting the son of Alexander and Catherine Parke of 79 Dungiven Road...

I'm just trying to resolve the reference to "Parke, Daniel, Lance-Corporal, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 8 Meehan's Row Waterside Londonderry, Died, Aug 1915"

This reference apparently came from the Belfast Evening Telegraph during WW1, if I'm reading the reference correctly (I haven't seen the original), it was accompanied by a picture - you can email to get the picture at the link I previously provided.

To cut a long story short, looking at various other military and other records for the Daniel Parke who died in May 1915, everything points to him being the son of Alexander Parke and Catherine Donnell / O'Donnell, with potential siblings being Catherine, Thomas, Patrick Joseph, John, Anne... and Alexander, who is possibly the Alexander I posted at reply #11, living in Cross Street.  Here are Alexander and Catherine in 1901 and 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Kilfinnan/1539415/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Waterside/Kilfinnan/605619/

Just wondering if any of this is ringing a bell and why the Belfast Evening Telegraph would have carried the "8 Meehan's Row" address?

Offline emcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 June 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million. That's all been extremely helpful.
I've no idea who the Parks are as I only found out about them a few days ago.
It's the mysterious Cassie Casson that I've been searching for and you've helped a lot. Thanks again.

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 June 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Catherine McGlinchey, the daughter of Edward McGlinchey and Mary Jane "McDonagh", of Waterside, is recorded in the Waterside/Glendermott Roman Catholic parish register as having been baptised on December 12th 1880. The child’s godparents were Michael McGlinchey and Mary Campbell

Edward McGlinchy and Mary Jane Donaghey were married in (Claudy?) Derry on October 24th 1872

The baptism of Edward McGlinchey, the son of Edward McGlinchey and Mary Jane "Donoughy", is recorded in Claudy Roman Catholic parish register as having taken place on September 3rd 1873. The child's godparents were Michael "McGlingey" and Mary "McGlingey"

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 June 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    The McGlinchey/Donaghey marriage did indeed take place in Claudy Roman Catholic Church on the date specified.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline emcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 June 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the helpful information