Author Topic: Peace, George  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Margaret Whelan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peace, George
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 July 11 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi - thanks for the reply.  Looks like your husband's GGG Gfather, David was the younger brother of my GGG Gfather (George).  I have found out a bit more information from a helpful person from the Old Ossett forum which I post below.  Hope this is of interest to you.  My GGG GfatherGeorge Peace (joined the British Army and served in the Crimean War then emigrated to Australia in 1852.  He married and had several children (one being my GG Gfather) and so the Peace family are now quite numerous in country Victoria Australia, where my Dad was born.  Seems we have relatives all over the world and distant cousins in far reaching places. 

Hello,
I have just noticed your posting about your GGG Gfather George Peace where you ask for any further information about him.
As you say the 1841 census shows the Peace family living at "Town" in Ossett and reveals Joseph (Cloth Manufacturer) and Frances with children George Thomas Jane Sarah David and Maria.
The 1841 Census recorded ages of those above 15 years rounded down to the nearest 5 years so Joseph and Frances' ages may differ a little to those in the 1841 Census.
The church of Latter Day Saints website (Family Search) records the following births of children born to a Joseph and Frances;
George Peace christened Ossett 30 Jan 1831
Jane Peace 5 Oct 1834
Thomas Bailey Peace 22 July 1832
David Peace 4 Nov 1838
Maria Peace 24 May 1840
Sarah Frances Peace 19 Feb 1837

In addition an Emma Peace, child of Joseph and Frances, was christened at Ossett on 22 May 1842. A Joseph Peace born 1845 is shown as a son of Joseph and Frances in the 1861 Census
All were christened at Ossett Old Church (Holy Trinity)
Joseph Peace married Frances Berry at Wakefield Yorkshire on 14 Feb 1830.
There is a record of a Joseph Peace christened in Ossett on 21 Feb 1802 son of David (1776-1837 ) and Sarah Fozard (1776-1851) and a f*n*y (aka Frances) Berry was christened at nearby Horbury on 13 May 1804. She was the daughter of Moses Berry and Sarah.
A Family Tree posted on Ancestry.com has Joseph born 21 Feb 1802 and his death in Ossett in 1883. Frances is recorded as 1804-1869 and the 1861 Census records her birth in nearby Horbury.
I cannot trace the family in the 1851 census.
The 1861 census also shows all the children (except George) still living with Joseph and Frances. By 1871 Joseph is a widower and Mungo manufacturer employing 1 man and 3 girls and he has moved to nearby Soothill. Thomas(Rag Merchant employing 5 females) Sarah and Joseph junior (clerk in the Probate Office) are living with him in nearby Soothill
By 1881 Joseph is a rag dealer employing 3 women and 1 boy. his daughter Sarah is living with him. He has moved back to Ossett Streetside
The Family Tree referred to above records George's details as 1831-1922 and his death in Talbot Australia.It also records his wife and children. You will probably be aware of some of this information.. and as I write it occurs to me that you may have posted this Tree on Ancestry!
The family name Peace was a common one in Ossett and the well known living author David Peace was born in Ossett and quite possibly shares your ancestry.
I do not recall coming across a Peace as a clothing manufacturer but there were many in Ossett in the 19th century and it seems he may have operated on a relatively small scale.
The 1854 and 1858 Trade Directories (White's) shows Joseph Peace as a rag and shoddy dealer and a woollen manufacturer operating in nearby Gawthorpe (between Ossett and Soothill)
The 1866 and 1870 Directories show him operating in Streetside in the category Rag Shoddy Flock waste and Mungo. In 1881 the Kelly trade Directory records Joseph Peace as a rag and mungo dealer

Offline old ossettier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 July 11 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have investigated the Peace family and back to the 1841 Census, but I have been
more interested in the family of Henry David's Grandad, and their families, I dont think
that some of the sons were married and I think Christopher died, Lionel Henrys first son) my father in law was born in December 1890, and after his first wife died he married Emily and they had my late husband David in July 1942, he unfortunately died last January.
Raymond was born in March 1904 and married Lucy but they didn't have any children.
 I have been tracing our family history on Genes Reunited. Lionel died in April 1974 aged 83
Henry had lived with his family at Clough House, Streetside, Ossett, West Yorkshire before
his marriage to Sarah Ann Morby, and the family appear to be Rag Merchants, and when
Henry was younger they had servants.  When you are younger you dont think to ask a
lot of questions about the past and as Lionel died in 1974, and Emily died in 1999, aged 80
It is only things we remembered which they had spoken about when they were alive.
Your question about the David Peace the author, he is not a relative, but know of his family
his grandfather used to have a newsagents and toy shop in Ossett for years when we were younger  hope this is of use to you. Joyce Peace

Offline Jarredzmum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 July 17 03:10 BST (UK) »

Hello Margaret Whelan, I am a part of your family history, your father Joseph Baden Peace is also my father, which makes us half sisters. I don't know if you know of his other children he had before he met your mother.

Offline SeekingPeace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi  Jarredzmum and Margaret Whelan .So pleased to find something on Uncle Joe .
Joseph Baden Peace is my uncle ,my dad was Arthur John Peace known as Jack.I grew up on the family farm in horfield ,it was called meadowbank .I only know the youngest son in uncles Joes family and am interested in finding out my many first cousins for the family tree any information would be appreciated.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...Margaret hasn't been on Rootschat since 2011 so you may not get a reply. Due to privacy rules...living people can't be named on here but when you have made 3 posts you can send a personal message to Margaret and Jarredzmum.
Good Luck.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Margaret Whelan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I haven't looked at this site for a long time but noticed two messages from SeekingPeace and Jarredzmum who seem to be related to me. I have sent a message to SeekingPeace but I can't seem to send a message to Jarredzmum - I am getting an error message saying that her inbox is full.  If you see this, can you please message me.  I would love to find out more information or share what information I have with you both.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 07:59 BST (UK) »
You need to make at least three posts before any private messages can be exchanged.  As Jarredzmum has only made one post that is probably why you are getting the error message.

You'll have to hope that she spots that more posts have been made and responds.  :D
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire