Author Topic: Drew/Bedford  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Tony Drew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Drew/Bedford
« on: Sunday 24 April 05 23:52 BST (UK) »
Of my grandfather's siblings, two supposedly migrated to Canada.   Firstly James Drew born about 1865 in Mile End, and not on the 1881 UK Census.   Secondly, Sarah Rachel Bedford (nee Drew) born 3.11.1858 in Mile End, married Horace Edward Bedford - she is on the 1881 UK Census, so a later move.
My late aunt recalls that they both visited the UK relatives between the two World Wars (and Sarah was referred to as Aunt Sally), and that James was employed by the Canadian Government in some official position (Civil Servant ?) during this visit.
I have tried numerous ways of trying to get a handle on them - any suggestions, etc.?
Drew - Wiltshire pre 1850, London post 1850
Tyler - London since 1800
Sizer - Lincolnshire (all)
Burton - Derbyshire pre 1900, Lincolnshire post 1880
Croysdill - Derbyshire (all)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Drew/Bedford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hello

I can't find your Sarah or James in Canada yet but here is a long shot - is this your Sarah Bedford in 1891 in England

Piece: RG12/127 Place: Pancras-London Enumeration District: 10
Civil Parish: St Pancras Ecclesiastical Parish: St Pancras Parish Ch
Folio: 162 Page: 6 Schedule: 35
Address: 27 Ossulston St
Surname   First name(s)   Rel   Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
    BEDFORD   Edward   Head   M   M   32   Pastry Cook(Em'ee)    London - Mile End       
    BEDFORD   Sarah   Wife   M   F   32       London - Stepney       
    BEDFORD   Frederick   Son   -   M   10   Scholar    London - Bermondsey       
    BEDFORD   Alice   Dau   -   F   8   Scholar    London - Mile End       
    BEDFORD   William   Son   -   M   4   Scholar    London - Mile End       
    BEDFORD   Jessie   Dau   -   F   1       London - Chelsea   

Do you have any other information about Sarah or James? Did they have brothers or sisters that may have come to Canada as well? What about Horace Edward Bedford - do you know if he had brothers or sisters?

Let me know if you any other clues and I will see what I can find here in Canada

Sincerely

Sam
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Tony Drew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 04:52 BST (UK) »
You have really thrown the cat among the pigeons with this entry on the 1891 Census.
I have the following entry from the 1881 Census and in particular for Sarah her birth certificate, and the wedding Certificate -
Horace Edward Bedford b. about 1858 Mile End
Sarah Rachel Bedford  b. 3.11.1858 Mile End (christened in Stepney) - her maiden name was Drew.
Walter Bedford b. about 1881 Bermondsey
In the 1881 Census they were running a Public House, but Horace's profession on the Wedding Certificate was "Cook".
So if Horace is not using his first name, and the son Walter also has the name Frederick then I guess the odds are that it is the same family, thank you.   They must have migrated a lot later than I thought.

As for James Drew, the only thing I know is that he was employed by the Canadian Government and that for some reason he visited England in an official capacity, roughly about 1930 (+ or -), because he visited his siblings then.   Does the Canadian Goverment maintain a list of its employees ?
Thank you, samthompson

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

Well, if that is them in the 1891 census then this may be of interest to you as well

from the 1901 census of England

Sarah Bedford  41 London Stepney London Mile End Old Town Laundress
Alice Bedford  18 London Mile End London Mile End Old Town Cartridge Maker
William Bedford  14 London Mile End London Mile End Old Town Errand Boy
Jessie Bedford  11 London Chelsea London Mile End Old Town

I can't find Edward or Frederick (Walter) so they may be dead or in Canada. The rest of the family possibly followed later. If that is so then this may be a clue

Western Land Grants (1870-1930)
          Search terms :  " : 2=1 : 1=(BEDFORD AND FRED).R100. : " References: 1 - 1 of 1  Legal Land Description
~~~~~~~~
1  NE  12  27  11  W2 
Part  Section  Township Range Meridian
Reference:
Liber:   367
Folio:   321
File reel number:   C-6229
Names:   Fred Bedford 

The Liber number tells that the homestead was final in
367 May 13, 1909 - May 22, 1909 C-6228-C-6229
so was filed in about 1904. It could be your Fred maybe.

I have looked without luck in the 1906 Canadian Census but it is not all transcribed so perhaps they will turn up. Also, Saskatchewan is planning on putting their BMD index online in the fall of 2005 so you could search then for the Bedfords or Drews.

I keep looking around here. Maybe you will be able to track down some clues about the 1901 census - if you can get a look at the actual page that Sarah is on it should list if she is a widow or if her husband is away.

Good Luck

Sam

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Tony Drew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 11:14 BST (UK) »
Dear Sam,
Thank you I have had a look at the 1901 Census now - and the whole family apart from "Fred" is there including Annie aged 9 born at Kings Cross.
Given then that the Fred Bedford involved in that Land Grant, then how do I read that - where is the place referred to, how big was the grant, was it just a family home - if that is so and the family come and join him then maybe there are Bedfords still around in the district?
Thanks once again Sam.

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I usually include the links but got distracted yesterday

here is a link to a homesteaders cabin so you have an idea what Fred's might have looked like. Depending on how good you were at building, if your neighbors helped, etc some were bigger and more finished but a lot looked like this. My Norwegian great grandmother raised a family of 5 in an Alberta cabin very much like this one.

Clcik Here

Here is the search site for homesteads in Canada
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011102_e.html
search this site using any name you are looking for, there are help screens, maps, etc

Fred Bedford homesteaded near Yorkton Saskatchewan. In 1905 and era this was likely a rather remote, sparsely popuated area. There is a local history book that mentions a Fred Bedford -
Title: So Much is Ours : history of Ituna-Hubbard area
Author: Ituna, Hubbard and Area History Book Committee,
Publisher: Ituna, Saskatchewan: Ituna, Hubbard and Area History Book Committee, 1985

I will see if I can find a copy here in Alberta

I'll see if I can find anyone in Saksatchewan who can help get the homestead papers as well. They will give a lot of information about Fred and may help determine if he is your Fred.

Are there are records to determine if the Bedfords stayed in England
- WW 1 records for William (possibly Fred if the one in Canada is not the right one)
- marriage records for Alice, Jessie, Annie etc.

Good luck and I will let you know what I can track down

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 05 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

a little more digging found this - the Fred Bedford who lived in Ituna, SK, Canada had a younger brother Daniel who immigrated a few years later. This is their family in 1881

James BEDFORD   Head   M   Male   46   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Farmer 130 Acrs Employing 5 Men     
 Jane BEDFORD   Wife   M   Female   46   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Farmer Wife     
 Elizabeth BEDFORD   Daur   U   Female   22   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Farmer Daugh Home Helper     
 Fred BEDFORD   Son   U   Male   19   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Farm Labourer Son (Ag Lab)     
 Ann BEDFORD   Daur   U   Female   13   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Scholar     
 Emma BEDFORD   Daur      Female   11   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Scholar     
 Alfred BEDFORD   Son      Male   9   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Scholar     
 Maryann BEDFORD   Daur      Female   6   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Scholar     
 Jane BEDFORD   Daur      Female   4   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Scholar     
 Daniel BEDFORD   Son      Male   1   Chesham, Buckingham, England       
 William HOW   Servant   U   Male   16   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Farm Labourer (In Door)     
 James SMITH   Boarder   U   Male   48   Chesham, Buckingham, England   Farm Labourer (In Door) 

So this is not your Fred Bedford. Is it possible that he stayed in England?

Still no leads on James Drew here in Canada yet. Is it possible that the woman who visited between the wars and was known as Aunt Sally was actually James' wife?

Still puzzling away at this one.

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Tony Drew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 April 05 08:08 BST (UK) »
dear Sam/Thelma
Thank you for your efforts, although this latest posting rather scuttles what I thought was a perfect solution.
Frederick Bedford (known as Walter Bedford on the 1881 Census aged 1 year) is not on the UK 1901 Census, so it would appear that he disappeared between 1891 and 1901 - could you point me in the direction of a suitable site to search, of imigrants to Canada during that period.   If I can find him I think that that is possibly the best way to track down James Drew (his uncle).
Whilst the aunt who related the visit to me is now deceased she was certain that it was brother and sister, James and Sally.
Just a little hilarity - how does a Sam suddenly become a Thelma ?
Regards
Tony Drew