Author Topic: Completed Brockaghboy- Michael Hegarty D-1892  (Read 12214 times)

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed Brockaghboy- Michael Hegarty D-1892
« on: Saturday 30 April 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I am looking for information on my great great great grandfather Michael Hegarty who lived in brockaboy (brockaghboy) and died on 16th April 1892.  He was married to mary (Ann), I don’t have her unmarried name.
He had one son Daniel. I have got michael’s will from PRONI and I have Mary and Daniel in the 1901 census living in 7 brockaboy.
Mary died between 1901 and 1911. I then have Daniel in 1911 living in 14 artisan street Rosemount, Derry.
Any information on Michael or mary would be great.
Are there any old photos of brockaboy. Are the houses in ruins or no longer there, where is the black hill?

Any information would be greatly received.

Thanks

David

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brockaghboy- Michael Hegarty D-1892
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    The Family Search site has a Daniel Higgerty born to a Michael Higgerty and a Mary Anne McNichol in Garvagh on 14 Mar 1865. I think that Higgerty may be a spelling error, common at that time.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat- is this the family you found in the 1901 census?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Slaght/Brockaghboy/1520351

I have Daniel Hegarty born 1 Feb.1867, married 2nd 1898 Bridget Jane McIvor. They had a son Daniel born 19 Sept.1904 at Brockaghboy.  Daniel's parents were Patrick Hegarty (d.25 July 1880) and Mary Ann Dillon.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick replies..

Aghadowey,
                  That is the correct family in the census and yes Daniel married bridget Mc Ivor and they had a son Daniel. Do you have the month they married in 1898 ?
 I have daniel's parents as michael hegarty but I could be wrong. Can you tell me the source you used to get his parents as Patrick and Mary ann Dillon.

Thanks for all the help so far..

David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 May 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
Birth certificate for Daniel Hegarty 1 Feb.1867 lists parents as Patrick Hegarty and Mary Ann Dillon.
They also had Martha (26 Feb.1865), Patrick (4 Feb.1869), Mary (1 Mar.1871 Brockaghboy), John (4 July 1873 Brockaghboy), Catherine (4 July 1875).

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 11 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information... as far as I can work out there are two daniel hegarty born to different families with a mother called mary in brockaboy area- one that kingskerswell pointed out which was born in 1865 to michael hegarty and mary ann mc nicholl.
the other born to patrick and mary ann dillon. Both Patrick and michael have left wills in PRONI. I think the daniel that I am related to, who married bridget mc ivor had a father who was called michael but can't confirm this.
Aghadowey if you could give me the date and month that daniel married bridget Mc ivor  I can try and get the marriage certificate and this should confirm  the daniel I am related to father's name.
This is great stuff..

David

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 11 07:24 BST (UK) »
David,
        Hegarty/Mcivor marriege took place in Dungiven Roman Catholic Church, Co. Londonderry on 11 Aug 1898.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 May 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have checked and the daniel I am related to has a father called Michael and mother is Mary ann Mc Nicholl. I have michael's will and date he died but not his birth date or marriage date and I have no BDM for mary ann mc nicholl.
Has anyone any info on them or the brockaghboy area ?

David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 May 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
I think you are correct that there are 2 Daniel Hegartys in Brockaghboy very close in age.

1) Daniel Higgerty/Hegarty born 14 Mar.1865 (Garvagh district)- son of Michael Higgerty & Mary Anne McNichol.
Michael Hegarty (d.16 Apr.1892) mentions 'wife' and called son Daniel his 'only child.'

2) Daniel Hegarty born 1 Feb.1867 Brockaghboy- son of Patrick Hegarty & Mary Ann Dillon.

I have michael's will and date he died but not his birth date or marriage date and I have no BDM for mary ann mc nicholl.
If Michael and Mary Ann were married in a Catholic ceremony before 1864 (and since son Daniel was born in March 1865 this is not unlikely) then there will be only a church record of the event (civil registration of Catholic marriages started in 1864).
Civil registration index shows death for Michael Hegarty (age 60) Apr./June 1892 Coleraine registration district volume 1 page 395.
I searched the index for Mary Ann's death (between 1901/1911) but couldn't find a likely one in Coleraine district- perhaps she went to Derry with Daniel and died there?

Do you have the details of all of Daniel and Bridget Jane's children? If not I might have some of their births.