Author Topic: Completed Brockaghboy- Michael Hegarty D-1892  (Read 12242 times)

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brockaghboy- Michael Hegarty D-1892
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
aghadowey thanks for much for your help. I don't think I will find a marriage certificate. Do you know anything about the brockaghboy area at that time 1880-1906. Would photos be available of the area (houses) at that time ?

David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
Brockaghbuoy is outside the 'town' of Garvagh- it's rural, hilly, rocky and lots of sheep (that aspect hasn't changed much although there have been lots of new house built in the last 100 years (especially in the last 10/15 years).
If you go to Google maps and type in "Brockaboy" it should take you to the area- then you can drag the little yellow man on the left side of the screen to the spot and see what it looks like now in Streetview.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PRafferty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 May 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I descend from Patrick Hegarty and Mary Dillon of Brockaghbuoy.  She was never Mary Anne, by the way, that must be a mistake in the records.  My grandfather was born in the "Blackhill" Brockaghbuoy, and my uncle owns Patrick Hegarty and Mary Dillon's farm there now.  The Blackhill is a name for a specific area within the townland of Brockaghbuoy, situated, not surprisingly, at the top of a hill.  Your ancestor Daniel had at least one other brother Michael born 30th Nov 1861, but perhaps he died as an infant.  I am going to email a cousin of mine who has done a lot of research into Brockaghbouy families, I know that she has the names of Mary Ann McNicholl's parents anyway.  I imagine that she will comment here when she gets time.  We are probably distantly related, both descending from Hegartys from Broackaghbuoy!  Out of interest, where did you here the name "The Blackhill"?  It is a word of mouth term, not an official one, so only locals would really know where it is.

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 May 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Prafferty,
                   I got the name blackhill from michaels wills which is on PRONI. check this link ( the bottom of the page) http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=201362.
If the patrick that you are related to died on 25 July 1880 his will is in PRONI. Here's a link to his will
( top of page)..
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=198362

I never knew he had a brother michael. I can only find michael born to a thomas hegarty in 1861. Have you got church records of the birth ? He must of died young as michael speaks of his only son in the will.
If you could get the names of mary ann mc nicholl parents or any other info that would be great.
Does the buildings where patrick or michael lived still exists, even as ruins ?

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 May 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
I am Paraic Rafferty's cousin and maintain a data base for a group of researchers who descend from families from Glenullin. All the info you have on Michael Hegarty is correct except that according to the church records I copied several years ago, Michael and Mary Ann McNichol had a son PATRICK Hegarty, born on 30 Nov 1861, most likely in Brockaghboy although the townland was not mentioned in the record. Godparents were James Mullan and Elizabeth McGuigan. Mary Ann McNichol's parents are Patrick McNichol , b. abt 1807-d. 25 Mar 1888 Brockaghboy and  Katherine Unknown.  Patrick of Brockaghboy, mentions in his Will, his son Patrick of Brockaghboy, sons Francis, John, and daughter Mary Ann Hegarty.

“In the name of God Amen I Patrick McNichol of Brockaghboy Parish of Errigal County Derry being sound of mind and judgement make this my last Will and Testament. I bequeath to my son Patrick McNichol of Brockaghboy this house and office houses and all the land and turf bank occupied by me. I allow Daniel O’Kane of Brockaghboy to collect the money in the notes filled in his name and to give it to my son Patrick which I bequeath to him. I bequeath to my son Francis McNichol three pounds ster. and to my daughter Mary Ann Hegarty one Pound ster., and to my son John McNichol the small sum of one shilling for disobedience. These bequests above mentioned I allow to be paid by my son Patrick. I here appoint Henry Quigg and Henry O’Kane both of Brockaghboy as my executors dated this 1st day March 1888.”

Patrick X McNichol
Witnesses to testor signing his mark in our presence and we sign in his presence and in the presence of each other Henry O’Kane of Brockaghboy
Henry Quigg of Brockaghboy.
If you send me your email address, I will send you a report on your family from the database.

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 May 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Shelia,
          Thanks alot. I have sent you a PM.

Offline dmac1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Completed Re: Brockaghboy- Michael Hegarty D-1892
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 May 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Big thanks to shelia for all the information. She has been a goldmine of information so I have all the information I wanted on my ancestors.
This is now complete.

Thanks to everyone else who helped..

David

Offline Motmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 January 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I. I here appoint Henry Quigg and Henry O’Kane both of Brockaghboy as my executors dated this 1st day March 1888.”

Patrick X McNichol
Witnesses to testor signing his mark in our presence and we sign in his presence and in the presence of each other Henry O’Kane of Brockaghboy
Henry Quigg of Brockaghboy.
I would love to know more about this Henry O'kane.  My Gt Grandfather Daniel O'Kane born Derry 1844 came to NZ and on his death cert states parents Henry O'kane and Bridget Mckenna.  There is one record of a Thomas O'Kane born abt 1848 I think to Henry O'kane and Bridget McKenna in Brockaghbuoy. I know nothing about about my O'Kane ancestors at all beyond Daniels death cert. How do I find out if this is the right family?   

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
Re: Completed Brockaghboy- Michael Hegarty D-1892
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the surviving church records for Errigal parish start in 1846 https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0367

There are records of two of Henry and Bridget's children after that date
Thomas baptised on 21 Jan 1849,sponsors Thomas McKenna and Ann Quigg.
 Bridget baptised on 30Nov 1846, sponsors Andrew Hegarty and Mary Quigg

There is a marriage 23 Oct 1838 in Ballinascreen, of Henry Kane and McKenna (no first name recorded)
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632987#page/141/mode/1up

There is a Henry O'Kane listed in Brockaghboy in the Griffiths Valuation...landlord Henry Quigg
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

There is a marriage of a Bridget O'Kane , father Henry,Brockaghabuoy to Daniel O'Kane,father Daniel ,Dunavenny Witnesses John O'Kane and Rose O'Kane  on 13 Nov 1873

Here they are in the census 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Slaght/Dunavenny/1520411/
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim