Author Topic: Mary Ann Milgrove 1851/1861 census lookup please  (Read 3211 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Milgrove 1851/1861 census lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 September 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
Are you sure he was born 1829?

Baptism;
30 Aug 1834, St John the Baptist, Frome
CHARLES Millgrove, Son of CHARLES/FANNY
Birth 31 July 1832***
Fathers Occp Labourer

Charles MILGROVE/Fanny KNIGHT married 19 April 1829, St Leonard, Marston Bigot
Witnesses, Eliza Milgrove/Thomas Yates

Other childrens Baptisms to CHARLES or CHAS/FANNY same Church;
ELIZA ANN 14 Nov 1829
THOMAS 6 Feb 1836
WM 22 Dec 1838

All on FreeREG

I've looked at 1841/1851 Census for Charles/Fanny and their Daug Louisa 1849 is with her Uncle/Aunt Moses/Mary Carver in 1861 Census.

I presume you have their marriage 1832 Mary MILLGROVE to Moses CARVER;

Mary Carver is born c 1806-1811 Frome on Census.
Death Reg has her born c 1806

FreeREG has 2
13 Feb 1808 to THOMAS/GRACE
28 Sept 1811 to WILLIAM/ELIZABETH (age 3 years)

1841 living near to Moses/Mary are;
GRACE Millgrove, 70
James, 30
Henry, 25

Henry married 1851 age 32, Father THOMAS, occp Collier
Ambrose/Maria Millgrove are witnesses

Thomas M married Grace COX 10 Aug 1802 Frome
(It does not say he is Widowed)

I was trying to prove Mary Millgove/Carver may be a half sister to Charles c 1794 if his Father Thomas was married twice.

I cant locate Ambrose M, but there is a Burial for a MARIA Milgrove 1881 Buckland Dinham age 74
(cant find either on Census)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 September 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
ELIZA Millgrove, witness at 1829 Marriage may have married Oliver Carver 1830
Mary Millgrove was a witness.

From Census Eliz Carver is born c 1809-1881 Frome, there is a Baptism for her 1811 to THOMAS/GRACE Milgrove

A MARY Milgrove was buried 15 Jan 1795, St Mary, Elm, no age or marital status given

GRACE Milgrove was buried same Church 29 March 1846 age 76, abode Frome.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Docras

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 September 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information. No , you are right, Charles Millgrove born 1832 was xn in 1834 at Frome St John's. Working from memory! Yes, I'm pretty sure that Thomas Millgrove married twice, his first wife being Mary Amesbury, buried as you noted. It's a while since I researched this family, but Louisa who lived with her aunty Mary Carver clinched the relationship between Mary and Charles as half-siblings. Just to confuse things, the Elizabeth who married Oliver Carver was probably their cousin, daughter of Wiliam (and she also had a sister called Mary). Charles, Louisa and another brother William all ended up in North East England. All the male children of Charles and William died in infancy, so I don't think there are any descendants with the surname Millgrove up here. Are you researching the family too? If so, I have more information.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
No I am not related to the Millgroves at all, I was just trying to help.
I just find Family History including yours fascinating.

Cheers,
Trish :)

Offline Docras

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 September 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
That's very kind of you. The Millgroves have been a bit of a challenge, with gaps in registers and variations in spelling. Charles Millgrove born 1832 moved to Middlesbrough in about 1855. I spent a long time trying to find his death and burial...eventually discovering that he died in Helsingør in Denmark. The family story was that he was a sea captain; he was actually a stoker on steamers travelling between Middlesbrough and Copenhagen! He died at Helsingør Hospital in 1888.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Gosh you were lucky to find that Death.
Good luck with it all.

Trish :)