Author Topic: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!  (Read 10289 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 May 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Found them in 1861 at last!
7 Berwick St, Chorlton on Medlock (RG9/2877 ED1 FOL17 P27), transcribed as LOW, but the end letter is the same shape as that on a Schofield further down.

Samuel Lord, Head, Mar, 60, Coal scaler & G pensioner, Manchester
Elizabeth, Wife, Mar, 49, , Nottinghamshire
Charles, Son, Un, 11, , Manchester
Cecilia, Daur, Un, 9, , Manchester

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 May 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
Folks,
A couple of quick questions. Andrewalston provides census information 1861. Samuel Lord, Head, Mar, 60 Coal scaler & G pensioner. Manchester
I assume this means Samuel Lord, Head of family, married, aged 60? the record then states Charles, Son, UN, 11, Manchester. --- What does abbreviation Un stand for?
The 1851 census information provided by Radcliffe for 32 Garden Street Ardwick Manchester,HO107, 220.175 Page 7
Samuel Lord ,velvet dresser and G pensionner, aged 51 born Manchester, Elizabeth wife ,aged 40, born Nottingham Culton, William aged 16 born Woolwich Kent,velvet dresser, Samuel aged 8,born Manchester,Ellen,aged 6 born Manchester
Elizabethaged 3 born Manchester, Charles,aged 1 Manchester - so ages etc tend to match. Samuels job is significantly different.
The 1871 census information from andrewalston has Samuel dead, his widow, Elizabeth as a Seamstress , Charles Lord, Lodger 20 Boiler maker. - Charles in his marriage certificate in Oz 20 Sept 1892 to Mary Hemmings stated his occupation as Engine Fitter. This would possibly be a spin off from boiler maker.
Anyone been able to find father Samuels death recorded between 1861 and 1871 census?
And I am now also curious as to what happened to possible sister Cecilia who would have been 19 in 1871?

Australian BDM certificates that I have obtained so far show that he recorded himself as Charles S Lord in 1892 (first marriage NSW) Charles S Lord when first wife died 1900; and in June 1901 (second marriage, NSW) he changed to Zulu Charles S Lord and also stated that his father and mother were deceased. He then had a son in 1903 who was registered as Zulu Charles Shouter Lord.
We potentially have father Samuel ex military died before 1871, brother Samuel possible military with RA in 1861. When/where did brother Samuel die? Was this the trigger for his use of Zulu?
I also have been unable to find any records for his arrival in Australia as yet between 1871 and his marriage in 1892. I will keep looking, Gotta be there somewhere........

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Cecilia Lord,
daughter  Samuel Lord and Elizabeth,
born 19 th of March 1852,
abode Ardwick,
fathers occupation Velvet dresser,
St Thomas Ardwick, 21st July 1852
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

'UN' will mean unmarried

There are several deaths in Chorlton area for Samuel Lord- some before the age at death was recorded. However, there is one

Dec 1869  Chorlton  8c 401

Samuel Lord  68yrs

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
St Marks Hulme,
12 th December 1870,

John Owen (x) a butcher, and batchelor, of 12 Riga Street,
Cecilia Lord (x) spinster of 13 Riga street,
Grooms father, Joseph Owen a carter,
Brides father, Samuel Lord, soldier,
witness John Johnson and Ann Oates ,both made a cross beside their names,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
two children  baptised ,

St Marks Gorton,

Jane Owen, 6 th of September 1874,
Walter William Owen ,5 th of August 1877,

abode W.Gorton

father John a butcher mother Cecilia /Cicily

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of Samuel Lord deaths registered in the area in 1862/3 before ages were recorded in the GRO index, but my bet would be the one in Q4 of 1869, Chorlton 8c 401, age 68 (FreeBMD).

Not transcribed on LancashireBMD yet, so don't know subdistrict.

DOH! Just realised Heywood had posted this very thing.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 May 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
UN was what they put on the census returns for UNmarried...I know it seems ridiculous for a lad of 11 but that was the normal thing to write at the time.....allan
ha ha...sorry Heywood ...didn`t see your post earlier on....ignore me...silly old custard that I am
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 May 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Another beginners question - Radcliffe provided marriage details for Cecilia in 1870 which stated Father samuel lord, soldier. In 1870 he was probably dead according to Heywood and others also according to earlier posts he left the military in 1839 and was in the various census documents as a velvet dresser and then a coal scaler.

Does the 1870 marriage document statement of father, soldier mean anything ? or is it just because Samuel Snr was a Greenwich pensioner and proud of his military history? Any thoughts, comments.....

Also Samuel Jr (born 2/4/1845 Manchester, Lancashire) archived attestation record confirms Samuel Lord and Elizabeth Lord/smith as parents. He joined at Hartings as Boy 2nd class, age 15 on 16/8/1860 with an acceptance of a further ten years of service from 2/4/1863.  No death, discharge, ship or service history were attached to the attestation record. Military signatories of his joining form/medical were Captain or Commander B. Harris and R Cook (or possibly R. Coolie) and a commanding Officer of Ship as Thomas Wilson.