Author Topic: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!  (Read 10290 times)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!
« Reply #36 on: Monday 09 May 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi ZC   

Just been reading through your thread - and haven't they found lots of info for you  ;)

My thoughts on the ZUZU addition were exactly as Danuslave's.   Possibly started as a nickname because of his service and then adopted for its curiosity value.   Wonder if any others did the same?

As for 'soldier' on the 1871 marriage cert,  they call for father's name and occupation.   
I have a name of Anthony as father of one bride;  searched high and low and everywhichway before I realised that he was fictitious  :-X

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 09 May 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
I don't think they must have always asked if father was deceased so the reply to father's name and occupation was just given. This often causes confusion for us.
As msr says, dad's name could also be invented. I searched for years for a 'John' only to find that he was 'Osborne' but still not sure if he was the dad as he committed suicide around the time of child's apparent birth which I can't confirm as no baptism and different census ages  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 09 May 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
If only they knew the problems they were going to cause us

::)  ;D ;D

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 09 May 11 10:50 BST (UK) »
Occupation, especially that used on a marriage certificate, can at times be only vaguely related to the job they did.

People tend to talk up the occupation, so as to be "posher". Thus one "Council executive" turned out to mean road sweeper.

In this case, "Soldier" probably means the job that father was most proud of doing (and probably spent ages telling stories about), though he spent years doing other things. It also narrows down his branch of the military. He was a Greenwich pensioner, which means Royal Navy, so "soldier" must mean the Royal Marines, which matches up exactly with the original post. I always find this sort of cross referencing satisfying.

The presence or absence of "deceased" can only be taken as an indication. Some people lose touch with their families. Sometimes the question wasn't asked. At a recent marriage I attended (bride and groom both well over 70), the certificate didn't mention the word.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
National archives are coming back to me with a quote for getting Samuel Snr's docs which hopefully will provide me with some service history. If I have done it correctly then a picture should be attached to this post of both Charles S Lord and his son Zulu Charles Shouter Lord. the picture is like a postcard and appears to be 2 small photo's joined together. The back of the postcard is annotated with the words C Lord and (Sun of Guner (crossed out)) Grandfather Lord.  The reason that I have added the picture it is to see if anyone has any idea what he lapel medallion may be. Unfortunately the original photo does not give any more detail than the shape. Any thoughts?

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry - photo should be attached this time.....

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!
« Reply #42 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Completed - To all the people who responded, Thanks for your assistance. I am still working at it but at this stage I have troubled you enough and you have more than answered my initial question.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 18 September 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
pte 2166 charles schuter lord lived at 54 josiah st,west gorton when he was killed in action,he was aged 18,his father was listed as being at nichols hospital,hyde rd,gorton and his mother cecilia at 10 beech st,gorton

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 19 September 11 08:45 BST (UK) »
Manmack - thanks. Do you have a year? as this information is slightly confusing. Mother was Elizabeth and Cecilia was a sister born 1852 of Charles but he had a father in the marines (samuel snr died Chorlton about 1869)) and two brothers (William born 1835 and Samuel born 1843). Samuel Jr was also in the marines and on a ship/shore in Sth Africa around zulu war times. As far as I know Cecilia had two children to a man with named John Owen in 1873 and 1877 in Gorton.

I have no other record of another child called Charles Shooter Lord - it maybe a third to cecilia?