Author Topic: Too many lies??  (Read 12839 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Too many lies??
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 18 August 11 17:26 BST (UK) »
One other possible source: his SS-5 (application for a SSN) should have his parents' names as he gave them (no expectations of accuracy there, then). If you go to ssdi.rootsweb.com and search for him, there should be a little envelope icon that creates a letter you can print off and send.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31933/pages/6384
 - here, just a bit of a track for him in 1920, as in Kettering, don't know if the names of the others are familiar to you.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42338
 - judging from this list, his service number puts him in the "W Riding" (West Riding of Yorkshire) Brigade of the RFA.

Interestingly, there was a James Belmont in the Bradford area, married in 1873, but he didn't have a son of the right age or a wife named Elizabeth or nee Ford. He passed away in 1895.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline siouxie366

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 18 August 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, everyone!!
Gosh, I didn't expect to get any more information on my 'wonderful' Grandfather.  Thank you all so much for your efforts.  The reference in the London Gazette was interesting, but the other names aren't familiar to me.  Harry/Hilary's occupation on my father's birth certificate was given as Motor Haulier, Dad was born in 1919 - so that fits well.  I'll ask my Mother if she knows anything about the other names - everyone seemed to know everyone else in those days and she might have gleaned some information about this.
Heywood, yes Harry did morph into Hilary in 1918.  His army number was given on my Grandmother's marriage certificate and this relates to Harry Belmont when he served in the RFA.
Tony*  On Jessie's marriage certificate she gives her father as Harry Thompson, deceased - one way I would guess of getting round the problem of no father being present.  The witnesses to that marriage were:- Edwin Pattinson, Lily Annie Pattinson and Harry Thompson.  I presumed that this Harry was perhaps her brother and that maybe Edwin was a compatriot of Harry's from the army - or that maybe Lily was perhaps her sister.
I really do hope that Jessie did find a loving husband in the end,  Poor girl didn't deserve all that happened to her. 
My Grandmother never re-married, so to speak, but remained a very embittered woman and died at only 52.
I'm really amazed at the interest in this thread, and I thank you all very much, very sincerely for all the help you have been offering.
Thank you again, best regards,
Siouxie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 August 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
It's interesting...and as for me... I am a bit of a snoop, I s'pose!

Good find jorose...
Sidney H Nocholds married Mabel L French ( Lichfield  v.6b  p.603) registered March Q. 1914 ( they had a son Robert G ( Nicholda)  in 1919 ... perhaps the two served together?

Wonder if Harry changed his name to get away from bad debt as well....

Also, wonder if your ancestor knew...as her son is named  Geoffery Ford Belmont Rixon in ww2
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37404/supplements/6281
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 August 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Blanche's brother was called Harry so perhaps he witnesses the marriage  :-\
RG11/4744/28/3

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 19 August 11 01:25 BST (UK) »
Marriage is sept qtr 1961 Leeds 2c 774 to Walter Todd
45 years on, somewhat surprising, but by no means impossible.
I got married in 1972, regained my freedom in 1989, and married again (different man  ;D) in 2009.  First husband was 23, present incumbent was 63.
To paraphrase Roger - 37 years on, somewhat surprising, but by no means impossible!
Good on you Jessie  :-*

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 19 August 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
The witnesses may be: Edwin Pattison married Lily A Vevers, Mar 1915 quarter in Leeds. Don't see an obvious family link.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 19 August 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
But little different between their dates of birth I think Carol, only around 3 years unless I've forgotten how to count, 37 years having elapsed between the two marriages ;).  The ones that fascinate me are the 30 year or more age gaps between partners, and the tricks they get up to in order to disguise the difference, e.g. my grandparents his second marriage in 1894 at least 66 years old baptised in 1828, her birth was registered in 1859, so 31 years+ difference. On the certificate he was shown as 55 she was shown as 35. What they would have shown on the 1901 census will never be known since she died a week previous leaving a 6 year old daughter, and my father aged 2. My grandfather was shown as aged 73, but he was of course now a widower.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 August 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello There.....

When you first started this thread, I did a look-up for a Jessie Belmont, on the 1937 Electoral Register for Leeds. There was no sign of her at all.....

I too saw the marriage, that Spidermonkey mentioned ie Jessie Belmont and Walter Todd, and disregarded it, because of the year 1961.....

I think however, Jessie did find happiness much sooner. I have found a Jessie and Walter Todd, living at 3 Green's Place, Holbeck in 1937. (There are no other Walter Todd's )

Perhaps they married when one of them was ill,or just to make it a legal union ?

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 August 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
Conan Doyle "When you have eliminated the impossible what remains, however improbable" etc. etc.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)