Author Topic: BITTLE/BATTLE/BATTEL Family  (Read 1058 times)

Offline jimbrim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BITTLE/BATTLE/BATTEL Family
« on: Sunday 01 May 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am seeking information on the above named family, specifically John Bittle/Battel born around 1763 (wherabouts unknown) who married Amy Hooper Rickard at St George, East Stonehouse on 26 May 1787. Amy Rickard was baptised at St Andrew, Plymouth on 2nd Feb 1766, the daughter of Charles Rickard (possibly Richard/s). I have no marriage for Charles.

John Bittle/Battel was buried 23 Dec 1818 (aged 55 years - hence the estimated birth year) at St Andrew, Plymouth. As yet, I have not located a baptism for John Bittle/Battel. 2 of his children by Amy have the following middle names - Johnson & Lampen - which may be a clue to either John or Amy's parents/grandparents.

If anyone has any knowledge in or an interest of these families, I would be delighted to hear from them. My own research indicates a possible Hugunenot connection with the Bittle surname, or it maybe that is has been used as a derivation of the Battell name. Both surnames appear in later PRs.

I have little local knowledge of the Plymouth area, so would appreciate guidance/advice.
Regards
Jim