Author Topic: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross  (Read 39764 times)

Offline Hannah Bullen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 August 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am very new to this site, a complete novice! I discovered it last night whilst searching under the surname Ross from Port Seton and coming across your conversation with Hannah in Australia. Hannah is my mums cousin. My mum is called *M. She is the daughter of John Allan the builder who married Hannah Ross, daughter of John Ross you talk about from Lorimer Place, Cockenzie. My mum is still in touch with Hannah's sister Margaret and also their aunt, my great Aunt, Margaret Lawrence (nee Ross). She has moved from Cockenzie to Edinburgh where she stays with her son *R. Uncle Peter Lawrence died many years ago. I stay in a village about 8 miles from Port Seton and have regular contact with my parents. We often have family discussions about the family history of Cockenzie and Port Seton. My dads family originate from there as well. He is a Thomson and his mother was a Donaldson. He has a lot of old photos of all the local fishermen which may be of interest. I don't know how far you have got with identifying the Ross family from the last 100 years but I'm sure I will be able to get most of the answers if you still need them.
Hopefully this may be of interest to you and between Hannah, you and I we will be able to name the most recent Ross's!

Hope to hear from you soon, Hannah (Another one!)

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Hannah Bullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 August 13 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hannah, it was such a surprise to see your name coming up on this site when I was browsing last night! Reading the family names and history passed between you and the others was really interesting. I'm hoping that I will be able to fill in any blanks as I'm obviously living back home. I'm not sure if you have had any other contact with the other members of the Ross family so don't know which details are needed.
My memories of yourself are obviously quite distant now although I think I remember you visiting from Australia. I certainly remember you playing the accordion when we were younger! It would be interesting to know what has happened to your family as well. I have 2 teenagers, K**** (18) and J**** (17). K**** is just starting college in Aberdeen and J**** is still at school in North Berwick. I saw your sister M**** at Aunty Jean Ross's funeral last year and know that my mum keeps up with M**** and J**** every so often!
It would be great to catch up and pass on family stories!

Hannah x

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, you need 1 more post to qualify.

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 August 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah

Maybe I should say "cousin" as we are 2nd cousins once removed. Your mother is my 2nd cousin.

Our common ancestor is John Marshall Ross, brother of my grandfather William. Their parents were William Ross and Jane "Jessie" Marshall m 30 Dec 1881.

If you make another post I will PM (Personal Message) you regarding information exchange and swap email addresses. Just reply with a thanks for making contact message and that should be enough to qualify you as a PM recipient. Does your husband have his grandparents or great grandparents details that I could check out for him?

I would also love to see the photographs you mention as I have very few,just some photographs of my paternal grandfather and grandmothers  golden wedding and a few taken from weddings of cousins in the late 60's and early 70's. Living away from Port Seton meant we only saw our uncles and aunts for a week or so every year with a pilgrimage back to Port Seton when my Grandparents were still alive.

It is possible that I have your husbands genealogy mapped out albeit with a gap of his parents and grandparents.. The Donaldson family features a lot in the research I have done.

I'd be very happy to provide you any information on your family tree you might want.

regards

Bill
NZ

Offline Hannah Bullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 August 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill, good to hear back from you. I had my parents here today and they have a lot of knowledge about our family in the last century. My dad was talking about the Ross fishermen and all their nicknames. Nobody appears to have been called by their correct names! He apparently has a photograph of my great grandfather John Ross and his father, uncle and cousins on their fishing boat years back. I think this will include your side of the family too. I'm working the next few days but will try to get some names together over the next week or so. I should be able to do this I hope when I can send private messages. I asked if my mum or dad had heard of Ross's Land and they think it was down towards the harbour in Cockenzie. Have you managed to find this out yet? You wouldn't recognise Port Seton now. The swimming pool has gone and the town is about 3 times the size! They have started to demolish the power station as well. All change I'm afraid. The fishing fleet has been reduced to only a few boats with only a few of the original families involved. If there are any other family names you want to ask about I will see what I can do for you. Speak to you soon, Hannah

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 August 13 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah,

I saw mentioned "nicknames" or as Pym Johnston called them "Bye-Names" in his book "Cockenzie & Port Seton Bye-Name Directory". I had a paper copy of the book which I cannot put my hand on but I scanned  a copy to my laptop, just as well.

My own grandfather and namesake, Tom Buchanan is in the book as "Whennel" brother in law of Jocky Dow, (John Ritchie). I think he got that name for continuously asking when the boats will be back in.

There are a few Ross bye-names in it. FIDDLER Wm. Ross (D) owner of motor drifter “Susan”, Elcho Place, others in the book, Dadles - David Ross brother of Cookies - Alec Ross. I will need to have another look at it.

Ross Land or Ross's Land is on my grandfather's birth certificate, I have been unable to pinpoint it either, but I am thinking it maybe a house or building, rather than a plot of land, I have seen that in other parts of Scotland. I don't know if a house stood in the walled site next to the "Boat Shore" or not, but I was thinking maybe around there.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline slowmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 29 August 13 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks
This is my first post but I have been following it with interest for some time as my mother is a "Ross" and my grandparents are the Ross's from 14 North Seton Park that Tom referred to in an earlier post on this thread. The Johny Ross that Bill mentions getting fish from is my uncle and he shared the boat The Robin with Skip Ross. I think we are all distantly related though as I have also traced my line back to Walter Ross and Rachel Hunter. I would be interested to hear if anyone has got further back than that.
With regard to the Land's such as Ross's Land, Lamb's Land, Thomson's Land etc they were buildings named after the person who owned it and rented out the flats. For example my grandfather was born in Fisherman's Land. This was a building owned by the Friendly Society of Fisherman. Cockenzie and Port Seton and housed 19 families. According to the 1911 census my grandfathers flat had 2 rooms with widows for six of them. Some of the flats had a lot more people than that. Fisherman's Land was to the east side of the Parish Church where Jonny Di Ciacca's was eventually and Rock Terrace was to the West side of the church overlooking the boatshore. It is possible to work out where the various buildings were using the census and Valuation Rolls and I was in the process of this to find Fishermans land when my mum told me where it was anyway. Someday I will work out where the rest of them were but I think most were along the North side of the High Street which was largely rebuilt in the early 1900's.
I have visited Register House a few times and have copies of lots of registery and Old Parish Records relating to the Ross's as well as census's. If anyone wants any of them please let me know.

Stuart
Port Seton

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 August 13 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

Good to hear from you, I saw your mum last week when I was back through in Port Seton.

Re Ross Land etc, that is where I was thinking, being the names of buildings rather than plots of lands. I wouldn't mind seeing the stuff from Land Registry.

Tom Buchanan

Ex- Port Seton, East Kilbride now
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 August 13 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart

What is the descent line from Walter Ross and Rachel Hunter for your family?

I always told my father that Johnny from the Robin must be a relative but Dad had no idea of genealogy back in the 60's and early 70's and his knowledge only went back to his own grandparents. Of course the internet has made life so much different.

Is your descent from the David Ross m Alison Brown - David Ross m Margaret Jones line or another?

Happy to exchange tree info.

I am particularly interested in any photographs of the Ross family members and have many copies of Census and also BMD records from Scotlands people and would also be pleased to lock in some Bye Names or T Names to the persons in my tree.

regards

Bill
NZ

PS: I have some possible ideas on the line going beyond Walter but it is impossible to prove definitively.......there are possibly another three generations back that could be presented for consideration.

Offline slowmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 30 August 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom.
I only have the Valuation Roll (1915) and the census for Fisherman's Land and the VR for Wisharts Close as they were the only two I was interested at the time but you are welcome to them. It is a project I have lined up for the future to try to map them all though.
I got them from Register House but you have given me an idea with your mention of the Land Registery as I know someone who works there so might try that route.

Stuart