Author Topic: murdered on Man ?  (Read 14595 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
murdered on Man ?
« on: Tuesday 03 May 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
Robert Ormrod Lindesay was Irish.  Sent to boarding school where he was bullied mercilessly: it seems he was a weak character and probably spoiled by his rich mama.  He was later articled to a solicitor but didn't stay the course.

So mummy bought him an aeroplane and he ran an air taxi service, living at Braaid, Marown.  The story is that he got into an argument about £5 that he reckoned was owed to him, and the man stuck a knife in him.

One would have thought that would have made the national press, but I haven't found anything.  I don't even know when: a distant cousin said circa 1980, but Bob would have been about 80 by then.  I feel it could have been as early as the 1950s.  I don't think FreeBMD covers the IoM.

Has anyone come across a report of the incident, or can suggest where I might look?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: murdered on Man ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
did you try the burial indexon www.iomfhs.im (why assume the Island is part of the UK ?)
buried age 79 Douglas borough cem  19810505
the manx newspapers are on microfilm at manx museum - many have been digitised in conjunction with the British library (not sure quite how far they reach into the late 20th C - they can often be accessed from certain pay per view or free from most large public libraries in UK
if you try http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/index.pl you will probably find someone who knows
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 06:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Frances.

Good to see you're still around: I keep meaning to write to you to correct some duff info I gave you some time in the last millennium.  I also keep meaning to cycle over to Man and see where my ancestors came from.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
murderer was Michael John Pate and  occured  in Ballasalla in April 1981 - trial was Oct 1981 (reduced to manslaughter + 7 yrs on appeal in Dec 1981)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Frances, you're the greatest!

Where did you find it?  Can I read about it too?

____ H.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
it's just an entry in a table in book 'Manx Murders' by Kieth Wilkinson - has nothing about this one tho thus you now need search papers - at least you have months + year to search

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 05:13 BST (UK) »
Google kicked up this site: http://firedrake.org/drpete/manx2.htm

It's an article on capital punishment that mentions, to quote:

Pate   1981   Convicted of murder and sentenced to death. Conviction reduced to manslaughter on appeal.

The author does give his source for this information as, to quote: Chief Registrar of the Isle of Man General Registry, P.N.A. Curtis and he also lists his email address on the page.... maybe toss the author a line?

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

_______ Hugh

Offline helenparker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 March 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
after the fact to put it mildly, but I have a twice-removed connection to the Lindesay family and am too new to be allowed to send PMs. My interest is in Robert's brother Peter, so if there is anyone still there I'd like to hear from you!

many thanks.