Author Topic: Help ! Duff Family in Scotland  (Read 15218 times)

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help ! Duff Family in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
You could try phoning the Highland Council (highland.gov.uk) and ask to be put through to Alness or Invergordon Service Point.  One of them (can't recollect which) holds the records for Rosskeen cemetery, and they could advise you how they can help you do a search for the Duff family interments.

Sometimes gravestone searches can be unsuccessful, as alot of people back in the day in this area wouldn't have been able to afford a headstone for their loved ones, so I would recommend checking the burial records.

Kind rgds,

A

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 May 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Johanna,
Try www.rosscromartyroots.co.uk  first item on menu is headstones.

James

Offline JohannaSandberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 May 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much James !
 I'll check it out straight away !  :)
Duff, Brophy, Jamieson, Murray Baxter

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 May 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Johanna,

I am in a B&B in Inverness with my husband's family of 5 Duff siblings. We spent yesterday and today in Portmahomack. I didn't look at all in the new cemetery, as much of our family left before the turn of the century.

We are following up on some leads which may show a connection to your Alexander and Elizabeth Jamieson.

I have 9 Alexander Duff's of Portmahomack in my file, but none of them looks promising by dates of birth, death or marriage to be yours.

Is Johanna a family name? I did see a Johanna Duff tombstone in the old cemetery (I didn't note it) and I have a Johanna, daughter of Alexander Duff and Isabell Campbell born 1857

There were 3 or 4 unrelated Duff families. Some (such as ours) were fishermen and couldn't afford monuments. So they may be buried in the cemetery, but we will never fid evidence of it.

Sharon
Duff, Stewart, McEachern, McCann, McDougall, Walters, Beynon, Griggs, Smith, Mellor, Haigh, Gayfer, Bird, Burnside, McCool, Lowrey, Skinner, Tolmie, McIntosh, Proctor, Broadhead, Biernes, Winn, Woodley, Wyman, Robertson, Young, Cochrane, Carson, O'Malley, McKnight, Grose, Currie, Valentine, Higginson, Gillespie, Avery, Black, Moon, Richardson, Harvey, Cowling

Offline JohannaSandberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 May 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon !

It's my boyfriends family that are Duff's (more specific, his mother) According to his mother the Duff family where all coal miners and lived in Portmahamock. (althoug, in the marrige certificate, it doesnt look like it says coal miner on Alexander Duff.... more likely Sailor, Seaman or something with an S. )

I found the marrige certificate of Alexander Duff (25y) & Elizabeth Jamieson(21y) (Janurary 23, 1889), It says that his parents where David Duff & Ann Mac Kay It's very hard to read ! I cannot see what Elizabeths parents where named (I think the father was David Jamieson) I've tried to get help to read the certificate, but without luck.

On the Certificate.. it's a colum for "Usual Residence" but it's not Portmahamock.. I cannot read it.. Jangstong,.. Langton ??

Do you know if there where any coal mining activity nearby Portmahamock?

I googled and actually found a picture of Elizabeth Duff (Jamieson)
http://www.tarbat-discovery.co.uk/Photograph%20Archives/11.%20Tarbat%20People%201-111/Tarbat%20People%20-%20Page%207.html

It's a website on Tarbat, with loads of pictures, a few of Duff people (The only one I recognized was Elizabeth, maybe some are from your family ?)

I didnt know Duff was such common name in the UK (I'm from Sweden myself) !
 Even if the people where to poor to afford a monument, would their death still be registered?

I apologize for my long message !
 I hope you're having a nice time in Portmahamock ! What's it like up there ?  :)
 Johanna

Offline JohannaSandberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 May 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Wondering if.. "usual residence" for Alexander Duff & Elizabeth Jamieson 1889 (marrige certificate) doesnt say "Invergordon" if its an odd I, and that place exist.

Would that place be near Portmahamock? Maybe Duff family came from Portmahamock on Alexanders fathers side, David Duff?

Johanna

Offline JohannaSandberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 May 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I just saw that Alexander Duff worked as a "merchant navy" not coal miner (That was the Brown family ^^) hhahaha

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 11 08:08 BST (UK) »
It's a lovely sunny morning in Inverness.

In Portmahomack, there certainly were lots of fishermen. That is the occupation of most of my family. And a lot of people went into the navy and other sea related occupations.

I know David Duff & Ann MacKay

David's parents were David Duff & Ann Duff

That David's parents were Harry Duff and Anne Bruce

Ann Duff's parents were Walter Duff and Ann McKay

Ann McKay's (wife of David Duff) parents were Walter Skinner and Janet Ross who were also the parents of our ancestor Janet Skinner who married Walter Duff

Duff, Stewart, McEachern, McCann, McDougall, Walters, Beynon, Griggs, Smith, Mellor, Haigh, Gayfer, Bird, Burnside, McCool, Lowrey, Skinner, Tolmie, McIntosh, Proctor, Broadhead, Biernes, Winn, Woodley, Wyman, Robertson, Young, Cochrane, Carson, O'Malley, McKnight, Grose, Currie, Valentine, Higginson, Gillespie, Avery, Black, Moon, Richardson, Harvey, Cowling

Offline JohannaSandberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 May 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Wow ! Thank you !  ;D
 Where they all born in Portmahamock ? You dont happen to have any dates for anyone ?
I must say, I am abit confused  :P Seems like they are all called Ann (Duff & MacKay) and David ! haha.  How can you tell them apart ?
    To me it looks like it's all the same person o inbreed ! haha  :P
  But it's weird that they had the same name as their father and eventually married a girl with the same name as the mother.

How come Ann McKay's (wife of David Duff) father where called Skinner, but her last name is MacKay. Her sister Janet was called Skinner to. Weird.  :)