Author Topic: John Clegg 1803 Sowerby Bridge  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Clegg 1803 Sowerby Bridge
« on: Thursday 05 May 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been trying to progress back further than my Greatx3 Grandfather John Clegg.

I have researched most of his descendants and have a good knowledge of my genealogy back to him, however can't seem to go back further.

All census, death and marriage records show John Clegg was born in 1803 i(died1872) n Sowerby (Bridge maybe).  He married Susey Hanson (1802-1883) in Halifax in 1822.

The only record I can find of a birth is 23 MAR 1803   Steep Lane Baptist, Sowerby on the LDS records, however, this does not give any parents, so this does not take me back any further to the next generation. I've not had any other corroboration or cross-reference to provide any siblings for John, or his parents.  Does anyone know if Steep Lane records may provide parents, or this is the end of the line for my Cleggs of Sowerby Bridge.

I can provide any info about his descendants.

Cheers

Neil
Orme, Bethnal Green/Shoreditch
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Clegg, Sowerby Bridge, West Derby and Camberwell
Munt, Morley, London.
Dobbie, Baxter, Martin, Liddell-   Glasgow
"I am the family face, Flesh perishes, I live on"

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Clegg 1803 Sowerby Bridge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had you considered the fact that Baptists generally baptise people as adults not children?   This would explain why parents are not mentioned and thus it may not be your John.  It would certainly be worth looking at the original Steep Lane records to see what their usual practice was.
Not all churches are on the IGI so you may need to widen your search to surrounding parishes which may not be on it.

Often the witnesses at a wedding are siblings.  Who are they at John's wedding?
Regards
Andrea

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 May 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

THanks for your reply.  I niaively didn't know that so thats new to me thank you.  That was the only LDS entry for Sowerby area, where in the census he consistently states he was born. 

I thought I may have to go through each parish church (may be St Peters Sowerby or Christchurch Sowerby Bridge) but I think I have to travel there to the archives library to do so as I don't think these records are on line.  (back to how we used to do it inthe old days)

Unfortunately when they got married on 25thDec 1922 in Halifax, there seems to be 'duty' witnesses as they appear on the other marriages that day and don't have surnames I recognise.

Thanks again for your reply, I shall look wider.

Neil
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Munt, Morley, London.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 May 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,
If you click on the Batch No for that Christening of a John Clegg 23 March 1803, Steep Lane Baptist, Sowerby near Halifax, Yorks then put in Clegg only these come up also in the right time-frame;

FARRER Clegg, 03 September 1800
MARY Clegg, 03 May 1805
SUSSANNAH Clegg, 01 January 1806
These have Parents as CHAS/SUSH, CHARLES/SUZA, CHARLES/SUSANNAH

Your John fits in nicely between those dates.
There are also these;
CHARLES Clegg, 30 July 1794 to CHARLES
MARY Clegg, 30 Oct 1797 to CHARLES/SINCE

If your John named any Children Charles/Susannah etc then they may be possible Parents of your John.

A Chearle CLEGG married Susannah PICKWELL, 13 December 1789,
Wawne, Yorkshire.

Al Extracted Records IGI at Familysearch.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
1841 Census
Sandholme,
St John, Beverley, Yorkshire
HO107/1229/2/St John
Charles CLEGG, 75, Ag Lab
Susanna, 70
Thomas, 40, Ag Lab
All born in County

There is a Family Tree for this Charles and they have the Children I found minus John.
They have the Marriage of Charles to Susannah FARRAR, 24 June 1788, Halifax.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Trish, again I've learnt something else to help am enquiry (didn't know how the batch numbers worked...)

unfortunately we don't have a Charles or Sussanah from John and Susey, although i will only only have the surviving children and have not scoured the parish records for those who may not have survived to the first census. Also none of their children were baptised in Steep Lane and they were baptised all around that area, Sowerby, Sowerby Bridge, Scamondon....  But they did have a Thomas, and also they did name a child after Susy's amiden name (Hanson) which I know was a common thing anyway.

But nevertheless this is the most promising lead i have, and will have to work to find some cross reference somewhere. 

Thanks again.

N
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Munt, Morley, London.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 May 11 09:39 BST (UK) »
Your welcome N,
Shame it wasnt conclusive.
Yes Batch No's can be useful used in different ways. It took me about 2yrs of research before I realised you could play around with them!
Good luck with it all.

Trish :)

Offline drewhowson

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Frederick Riley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 May 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil,
There are a few Clegg's buried in Sowerby Steep lane graveyard,
Sadly i cannot definately identify yours, although this one looks interesting

FLATSTONE Sacred to the memory/of/TITUS CLEGG DE WDQD TOP SOWERBY/who departed this life July 21st/1842
aged 73 years/also HANNAH CLEGG wife of the/above who departed this life/April 21st 1845/aged 67 years/also
CHARLES CLEGG son of the/above who departed this life on/the 29th of July 1860 aged 54 yrs/ FOOT - JOHN CLEGG, OWNER BRIGHOUSE.
Do you recognise any of these names?
There are also Mary Alice, Gertrude, Elsie ans Lily,another Titus and a Mary Ann.
If you need any more help, get back,
Regards,
Andy
Howson, Yorkshire.                       Census Information crown Copyright
Pybus,Halifax Yorkshire.                   from   WWW. National Archives.gov.uk
Riley, Sowerby and Norland Yorkshire.
Gaukroger,Halifax Yorkshire.
Stansfield,Ripponden area Yorkshire

Offline Kleggi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 June 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
Just came across your queries on John Clegg b. 1803 Sowerby. I don't know how far you've got with this as the last posting was a year ago. However if I can be of any help please let me know.
I have my Clegg family traced back to Charles and Susannah who married 1788 and am descended through their son Farrar, all cross referenced and proven. Coincidentally Farrar also married on 25 Dec. 1822 to his bride Mary Town. I have John penciled in as a possible brother to Farrar who also named one of his sons as John. Also I have a John as a possible father of Charles. Still working on these but they do look promising.
Andrea is quite correct that the Baptists only Baptise adults but they did record the births of new members of their congregation. The Steep Lane Baptist records are held at Halifax Library but at 200 years old aren't in the best of condition. Hence, maybe, the lack of some information.
Best regards    Ian