Author Topic: Fonthill House, Tisbury during WW2  (Read 9818 times)

Offline EddieDog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fonthill House, Tisbury during WW2
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know Perth has been sweltering too.  It's now after 11pm and I just opened a window but nothing but hot air came in so I shut it again.  It hit 42C here today and is still well over 30C. :(
--------------------------
PM Sent
Eddie

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Received ok and replied.

CG

PM Sent
Eddie

Offline MOIRA NORWICH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eddie

I was very interested to see your post and the reference to Fonthill House and WW2.   I was at school there for six years during the war and have been back since to visit the gardens (when the present Lord Margadale's father was still alive).   I am always keen to hear from people who knew the place and to have news of it.   I am not sure if there is anything of interest I can add to your research - I suspect that Clonesgirl has much more than I have.   Hope to hear from you.

Moira Norwich

Received ok and replied.

CG

PM Sent
Eddie

Offline EddieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moira,

Lovey to hear from you and thanks for the mail. I am shortly off to bed for a very early start at work tomorrow, but will mail you more later. We can, if you wish, communicate via direct email. Let me know. And yes, I am now in regular contact with Clonesgirl who also lives in Australia, but the other end! Will be nice exchanging views of a very beautiful area

Eddie

Offline MOIRA NORWICH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 15:55 GMT (UK) »
That would be good - my email address is:

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Moira

Hi Moira,

Lovey to hear from you and thanks for the mail. I am shortly off to bed for a very early start at work tomorrow, but will mail you more later. We can, if you wish, communicate via direct email. Let me know. And yes, I am now in regular contact with Clonesgirl who also lives in Australia, but the other end! Will be nice exchanging views of a very beautiful area

Eddie

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 January 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
       Hi,interested to read about this post on the various Fonthill Houses.

I was brought up in South Newton,my Dad had a bus service from Salisbury to Shaftesbury during the time that American troops were in the Shaftesbury area,late 1945 ish,this is from memory.As a child was taken to get tomatoes from the Fontill estate greenhouses,John Morrison was the local Member of Parliament for Salisbury.I have a picture of my children standing in front of his house in the late 1960s,at the Church Fete,.You may find photos of this era obtainable from the local newspaper in Salisbury,,,,,,,,,,,Salisbury Journal.

Brionne.

Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MOIRA NORWICH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 January 13 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brionne

I am not sure if you are writing just in reply to Eddie or if you are generally interested in Fonthill and other people who knew it during the war.   I was at the little school that was evacuated to Fonthill House in 1939/1940 and was there from early 1940 to the end of the war.   It was my home for those six years, often holidays as well as termtime,    I would love to see any photos you might have of Fonthill House (Little Ridge) as it was before 1970 or learn where I might find some.   Moira

Offline EddieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 01:16 GMT (UK) »
       Hi,interested to read about this post on the various Fonthill Houses.

I was brought up in South Newton,my Dad had a bus service from Salisbury to Shaftesbury during the time that American troops were in the Shaftesbury area,late 1945 ish,this is from memory.As a child was taken to get tomatoes from the Fontill estate greenhouses,John Morrison was the local Member of Parliament for Salisbury.I have a picture of my children standing in front of his house in the late 1960s,at the Church Fete,.You may find photos of this era obtainable from the local newspaper in Salisbury,,,,,,,,,,,Salisbury Journal.

Brionne.
 Hi Brionne, My era was from around the mid to late 50's. For much of the time I schooled at Wardour, the local Catholic School. This is not really too far from Shaftsbury, wonder if you dad's route was nearby. Indeed, can you remember any of it. As for the US forces, yes, they were at a Fonthill House, but not the one the Moira stayed at, it was the one Near Beckford's Abbey and indeed, was also known as the Fonthill Abbey. I remember at school that there were a lot of US persons about possibly associate with the forces.

Eddie

Offline BESHARP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 March 20 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moira. I was also evacuated with Rene Ironside's school from Elvaston Place in London to Fonthill House during ww2. I remember the huge paintings and the small painted spinet on which i did my piano practice.
BESHARP