Author Topic: Fonthill House, Tisbury during WW2  (Read 9820 times)

Offline MOIRA NORWICH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fonthill House, Tisbury during WW2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I'm new to Rootschat and am not quite sure where I find your email address -  ???     I'll see if I can work it out for myself but perhaps you can help me.   

MN

Offline BeeJay2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
At the very top of your screen, next to "Welcome Moira ..." it should say "messages." If you click on that it should take you to your private messages inbox and hopefully there's one there from me!  :)

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 September 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
BeeJay2

Moira may not be able to receive messages until she has made 3 posts

MOIRA NORWICH

Just reply to this post (anything will do) and you should be in business   :)

BeeJay2

You may have to resend your message   ::)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BeeJay2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 September 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Linda  - we've been in touch now by email.  :)

Offline EddieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, am disparately trying to get info and any available pics of Fonthill House, the one known as Fonthill Abbey, as I lived there as a child in the '50's. Can anyone help or is this thread now gone the same way as the house!

Eddie In Perth Australia

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eddie in Perth  :)

I'm in sweltering Sydney and I was fascinated to read that you lived at Fonthill Abbey in the 50s.  However, I'm a little confused as to whether you mean Fonthill House, formerly known as Little Ridge and sadly demolished in 1972, or the second Fonthill Abbey which was used to house troops in WWII and demolished in 1955.  Both were located on the Fonthill estate.  I have several pics of both houses.  There is also the Remains of the first Fonthill Abbey (the central tower collapsed in December 1825) which still exists today and has had occupants from time to time over the years.  So perhaps you may even mean the first Fonthill Abbey?  I have plenty of pics of that too.

I look forward to your reply.  :)

Offline EddieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 08:50 GMT (UK) »
G'Day ummm, is it, 'Clonesgirl'
Many thanks for such a fast reply, and wow coincidence, didn't dream you were in Oz! Yes, I'm in Perth, another sweltering place, had many days of heat and today was well over 40! OK, to Fonthill, I know the ara very, very well. Can't find the thread, but there was some misinformation re the various Fonthill houses, One only was also referred to by locals as "New Fonthill Abbey" to differentiate it from the Beckford Abbey built in the 1700's. This 'New' Abbey was yet another in the line of 'Fonthill Houses', it was built by William Burn for the Marquess of Westminster in, I think, 1876. It was in the Scottish Baronial style and a wonderful place. We lived for a time in the quarters above the stable quadrangle, and what a fabulouse place it was. Can give more info if anyone is interested.  Burns was something of a paranoic, and destroyed his plans upon completion of his buildings. So very little in documentation remains, and, almost no  photographs, I have a couple of odd one from Ebay and a large print originally from 'Coutry Life. This particular building, was indeed, the base for US troops and I remember looking at all their wonderful graffiti in the walls of the stable buildings. Sadly this building was demolished in the late 50's.
The house at Little Ridge housed Sir John Morrison and family and as you indicate, it too was demolished but his time rebuilt and the current incumbant is Lord Margadale, Alexander Morrison, whose father and indeed, grandfather I remember well. There are at least 7 Fonthill Houses on record. This one was never the base for troops etc. The other, where I lived was a quarter of mile or so from Beckford's Folly. I also lived in a little terrace row at little Ridge and schooled at Chilmark (also at Warder RC and Hindon). Hope I haven't bored you too much
regards
Eddie

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know Perth has been sweltering too.  It's now after 11pm and I just opened a window but nothing but hot air came in so I shut it again.  It hit 42C here today and is still well over 30C. :(

By my reckoning there were six mansions known as Fonthill House and 2 known as Fonthill Abbey making a total of 8 houses which stood at various times on the Fonthill estate, only one of which stands today.  The rest either burnt down, fell down or were knocked down.  That estate seems to be cursed with bad luck.  The 2nd Abbey was knocked down after developing a giant crack in the main building.  I would be curious to know if anyone was occupying the main house in the 50s prior to its being demolished.

I notice you also mention living in a terrace at Little Ridge.  There is a member here who went to school at Fonthill House (Little Ridge) during WWII and is interested in anything pertaining to that house so I'm sure she'll be in touch.

According to an article I have the stable block still existed in the 60s when Dr and Mrs Hilliard, who took care of Beckford's Tower in Bath for many years, walked around the 2nd Abbey and described the ruins.  I have an overhead pic of the ruins taken a few years ago and you can definitely see a structure there.

As far as pics of the 2nd Abbey go, I have the Country Life pic you mention, plus a few others I've found from time to time, mostly old postcards.  If you want I can send them plus the overhead view.  PM me your email address.

Great to hear from someone who lived on the Fonthill estate. :)

CG
(from Clones, County Monaghan, Ireland)

Offline EddieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know Perth has been sweltering too.  It's now after 11pm and I just opened a window but nothing but hot air came in so I shut it again.  It hit 42C here today and is still well over 30C. :(

Hi again, I have to post 3 times I think before I can PM, so this is it, will then see if I can PM, once in contact we can check our particular pics. I will be quite thrilled if you have one that I do not. I might have one though, that you quite possibly do not have. Will be in touch later.

PS, I find this site difficult to navigate...am I the only one

Eddie