Author Topic: Nowlan Family  (Read 3240 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nowlan Family
« on: Friday 06 May 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
My ancestors Ann, Hannah and Mary Nowlan were Irish, and came to England and settled in Bradford, Yorkshire, in the 1840s - at least I have found them in the 1851 census and not in that of 1841.  They were sisters, born in the 1820s, and their father was named John, and that is all I know of them.  I have no idea whereabouts in Ireland they were from, and I do not know the names of their mother and any other siblings.  I would be most grateful for any info anyone might have about this family and their origins, though I know it's a bit of a long shot!
Thanks,
Christine 

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nowlan Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Nowlan  (now more commonly known as Nolan) is a very common name in Carlow and south  Laois(known as Queens County until 1920s).  That might help to narrow your search.  Be open to spelling variations.  It was often pronounced Nowlan up to about 20 years ago  in these areas

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nowlan Family
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much IrishRose.  I know this is a very long shot, but the less I know about these people, the more fascinating they seem!  I think they were escapees from the Famine, though even this is conjecture.
Chris

Moderator Note - see new topic on this Family in the Carlow section : Nowlan Family