Author Topic: Hutchings family from Chichester  (Read 8965 times)

Offline Jasmin6877

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hutchings family from Chichester
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hello to all again

Have got to look at the original marriage certification details of George (jnr's) wedding.   It seems after all that Sarah Turner was not his father's first wife.   HE was the widower of Sarah Turner, not his father (George snr)!    That means that at some point before 1870 he was married.

Also, from what we can understand, he did not die in Malta.  We cannot find his death registered anywhere.   The only confermation is that when my great great grandmother died in 1915, she was registered as a widow.

We have now started looking up all info re a Sarah Turner for dates between 1850 - 1870.

Any additional help would be great

Thanks to all

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jasmin

On FreeBMD there is this marriage

George Hutchings Mar qtr 1859  Chichester District Vol 2b Page 217, Sarah Turner is on the same page.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Jasmin6877

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 15 June 13 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan

Many thanks for info.

Will be looking it up and start from there.

Jasmin

Offline MikeA46

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:50 GMT (UK) »
To: Gasmine 6877

Hello, I am writing from Malta.  George Hutchings (Jn)(GH) happens to be my grand grand father.  I just ran into this, Rootschat, site when looking for information about GH's Lucknow Indian Medal.  This Medal is in my possession.  It has his name and HMS Shannon engraved on the rim round the medal.
I do not know exactly when he came to Malta.  Maltese official records say that on the 22/01/1870 he married Giuseppa Carbonaro, aged 35 years of Valletta.  GH was declared aged 32 years and  to be from Chichister, England, occupation bandsman.  GH's (Jn) parents were father GH (Sn), alive, farmer, and Sarah Fleet, no occupation, alive.
According to the Maltese records, on the 15/01/1875, a boy was born to  GH(Jn)(from Sussex) and Giuseppa.  The boy was named Bernard George Hutchings, who happens to be my grandfather on my mother side.  Giuseppa Hutchings died on Sun, 13th June 1915, widow of GH.  No information was passed on GH's death (disapperance?).  What was verbally passed on, is that Bernard was raised by his mother Giuseppa.  Bernard eldest daughter, Jenny, married an Englishman by the surname Ephgrave and emigrated to England.   My mother, Doris, was the youngest of Bernard's daughters.
I do have a copy of GH(Jn) service record certificate from the National Archives (UK) but as the original  is hand written, it is not easily legible.  Numbered as 82976, date of birth of GH is 20th August 1835, place of birth Chichester, Sussex.
I hope was of some help.
Regards

MikeA46

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 24 March 17 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat,
The original poster has not been online for some time but should get a message to say you have responded.  I hope you can make contact.