Author Topic: Hutchings family from Chichester  (Read 8979 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hutchings family from Chichester
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 May 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea

I cant find a burial for a Frances on SFHG.

I have looked on SMI,FindMyPast & freebmd for a marriage of Sarah Fleet,nothing.
Nothing on the 1841/51 for a Sarah Hutching.

We need Jasmin to reply.
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Jasmin6877

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 May 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hello to all and thank you for trying to help .

I have just started tracing my grandmother's side of the family, and it has somewhat turned out to be so confusing.

To be able trace George and Sara it is best I start with their son George.

George Hutchings, the son, was born in Chichester, Sussex.  This I am sure of, as Chichester is noted as place of birth on his marriage certificate.  It seems he served in the Navy on the 'Shannon' as a 'bandsman' in the Mutiny in Lucknow, India, and this I can also confirm because a medal exists.  His age on the marriage certificate, which took place in 1870, is 32.

On the marriage certificate, the parents are noted as George MA Hutchings (farmer) and Sara Fleet.  My question mark on the surname Fleet was due to different interpretations at the Registry, as there it was also interpreted as Steel.  The certificate also confirms that both were living at the time.

I was told that George, the son, could have been an only child.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 May 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jasmin

Which Country did George marry in ?. The reason i ask is because on an English Marriage certificate it would not have Mothers name or ask for your place of birth.

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 May 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jasmin

Welcome to Rootschat :D

I have also been looking and came up with the same family as Andrea and Omega.

The Westerton family do seem to be the best fit at the moment  - Westerton is a tiny hamlet only a short distance from Chichester and Frances has the right maidename. However although George senior was alive in 1870, he is still going strong at 92 in 1901, Frances seems to have died by 61 when George is married to a Martha and of course frances isn't called Sarah! But perhaps she was known by this name?

In what country  did George marry? (Snap Omega :D) and when did he emigrate? did he travel alone or with his parents? any other info?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 May 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
The siege of Lucknow was in 1857 but I had always thought that only involved the army.  Are you sure he was in the navy?  An enquiry on the Armed Forces board might get you more information on his military service as they will know who was involved.    Was the medal handed down through the family?
If Chichester is given as place of birth that leads us back to the two entries on freebmd.  One in Chichester and one Westhampnett.
What was his occupation on marriage?  When did he emigrate - assuming he did?
Andrea
Edit - amended post as I was muddling the George Fleet soldier with George Hutchings, farmer.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 May 11 18:17 BST (UK) »
Interestingly George senior is liivng with son Henry in 1901 and Henry is listed as Retired Chief Officer ( navy off added by enumerater)

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Jasmin6877

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 May 11 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hello all

It seems that after 1858 - the end of the Mutiny,  George Jnr was sent to Algiers.  This is on data found on the Seamen Service search for the 'Shannon'.  Although he was severely wounded in the Mutiny, he survived and ended up in Malta, (how and why I do not know), where he met my great great grandmother.

They were married in Malta, hence details on certificate.  Also, I am now looking up his death date and details, (I am not sure whether he actually passed away in Malta), only then would I be able to again confirm his parents' names, and his occupation when he passed away.  His medal was passed on in the family.

I have found two George Hutchings born in Chichester - in 1837 and in 1841, and I think the first one fits my George. As for his parents, compatable details for Sara Fleet I cannot find, although the George of the 1901 Census at 92 seems to be a possiblity.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 May 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure if you have alreday done so but there is a service record for George on the NA website (ADM 188/76), he was wounded on 15 March 1858 at Luknow. I also have information that he may have died in 1910, but this needs to be checked. By the way I believe his medal was sent to HMS Algiers.

Martin

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 May 11 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jasmin

I can check out the Westhampnett parish registers  and see what I can find for you - probably on Tuesday.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale