Author Topic: Neary of Kilcroy, Augrhim, Roscommon.  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neary of Kilcroy, Augrhim, Roscommon.
« on: Saturday 07 May 11 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi from Australia,

My wife's great grandfather was a Michael Neary from Roscommon and I finally found only recently that Michael migrated to Australia in 1865 on the"Star of Brunswick" and he came from Augrhim, Roscommon.  I also found out a couple of days ago that his brother Martin Neary migtrated to Australia in 1864 on the "Morning Star"  I understand that Michael Neary born around 1845 and Martin Neary born around 1839  were from Kilcroy, Aughrim, Roscommon and their father was John Neary and mother Annie or Mary or Sarah Conlon.

I'm seeking any information on the Neary family in Kilcroy if possible.

Regards
Gerry   

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Neary of Kilcroy, Augrhim, Roscommon.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
There are Nearys still in Kilcroy on the 1901 census including a John aged 57 (=> born c 1844) which could make him a brother or cousin

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0d3l/

Moderator's Note: please use shrink link at bottom of page to shorten very long links
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for shrinking hyperlink but where is the shrink link?? I have wondered how to shorten long hyperlinks - I normally copy and paste link from address line - OK JUST FOUND IT! I was looking on the page where you type - not after submitting - put it down as a DOH moment - thanks again

Gerry

The John and Bridget listed on 1901 census in Augrim East were married in 1873 and registered in Carrick-on-Shannon (wihich is actually Co. Leitrim just over the border from Roscommon)
The reference for civil records is 1873 Volume 8 Page 51 and Bridget's name was GLANCY

Bear in mind that Neary on our records can also be spelt Nary and Nairy; Glancy is also sometimes Clancy when searching

If John was Martin and Michael's brother this could be a good start in ireland

www.familysearch.org has some records of births in the area that implies there was a pocket of Nearys there if you confirm a link it will give you a parish to search at for records of Martin & Michael
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
myluck,

Thanks very much for responding to my query and giving me valuable information,  I'll be following up on those sites.

I found out the hard way with the spelling of Neary, I searched for ages for Micheal Neary coming to Australia and I finally found him on an 1865  manifest as Michael NARY from Aughrim Roscommon.

Michael & Martin's father was John Neary and I have found a John Neary on the1848-1864 Ireland Griffith's Valuations residing at Kilcroy leasing around 27 acres from a Mr Henry S P Mahon.  This may be my John.

I really appreciate your help.

Regards
Gerry

Offline Paul Neary

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry

We have to talk!! I have a lot of information about the Neary family in Australia, mostly Michael and Martin and their descendants.

Please send an email to my address**

I am not living in Australia at the moment, but will be again in the not too distant future. I have recorded a lot of names, dates, residences etc in my Mac based Reunion software ...and I know lots of stuff about we Nearys

best wishes

I hope this message reaches you somewhere,

Paul Neary

(*) Moderator Comment: your e-mail has been removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

As you are a new member you must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 13 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul and welcome to Rootschat  :),

as you can see your email address has been removed according to Rootschat policy. If you want to share information through the personal message system, you will be able to do so after 2 more posts.

Good luck

heywood (moderator)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk