Author Topic: Gramsley surname  (Read 8100 times)

Offline aling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gramsley surname
« on: Saturday 07 May 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have information about the name Gramsley in Northumberland, maybe Morpeth, in early 1800s.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gramsley surname
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Welcome to RootsChat
In the History, Directory & Gazetteer of Durham & Northumberland, 1827
there is a John Gramsley, corn miller, 20 Shield Field, Newcastle. He is the only Gramsley in the directory.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat aling :)
You may have to look at alternate spellings for this Surname.
1851 Census only has 1 Gramsley born Northumberland and 1861 none.
There is a Thomas GRAHAMSLEY born c 1817 in Morpeth and he is a Grocer.

1841 Census, Morpeth, Northumberland has a Thomas GRAHAMSLEY born c 1766;
HO107/835/12/Morpeth
Thomas GRAHAMSLEY, 75, Weaver
William Grahamsley, 20, Grocer
Elizabeth Grahamsley, 45, Independant
William WILSON, 46, Occp hard to read
Elizabeth Wilson, 12
All born in County
(Thomas is still alive in 1851 born c 1760, Morpeth)

1851 Census has a John GRAHAMSLEY born c 1794, Morpeth, Surgeon/Apothegary and 2 Children.

If you go to Familysearch Pilot and just type in Surname- Gramsley, Location-Morpeth, Northumberland and nothing else 52 entries will pop up, the 1st 1707;
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

Also for example;
Search the IGI for William GRAMSLEY, birth Northumberland (put in no dates) and 11 entries come up with various spellings.

Is there anyone in particular you are looking for?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
If you go to Familysearch Pilot and just type in Surname- Gramsley, Location-Morpeth, Northumberland and nothing else 52 entries will pop up, the 1st 1707;

There is a earlier entry in the IGI, Extracted birth or christening record Batch No; P000751
ANN GRIMSLEY   Christening:     14 APR 1687      Morpeth, Northumberland, England, Father:     WILLIAM GRIMSLEY
This probably a variant spelling, or a mistranscription
Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 May 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Another way to search is to go http://www.rootschat.com/links/03au/  select Northumberland, then Morpeth, then P000751, and put Gramsley in surname search. These records are extracted from the parish register, and not submitted.

Stan

Offline aling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Thank you very much for your replies. Will follow up those links and information, thank you.

The background to my query is that my ggggrandmother was a Mary Gramsley who, according to family legend, was born in 1808 and was relative of the Duke of Roxburgh and brought up at Floors Castle (no proof of this however). She married the gardener there (Hugh Collins) in 1828 and they lived in Kelso until she died in 1831 giving birth to my gggrandmother (Mary Gramsley Collins). No records of the original Mary Gramsley have been found, or any other Gramsleys in Kelso, but I did seem to come across the Gramsley name in Northumberland and wondered if she may have come from there.

Her daughter, Mary Gramsley Collins, moved to London, married and emigrated to New Zealand in 1858, and the Gramsley name was passed down through the family in NZ.

Any further help or information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Ali
NZ

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali. Have we been in touch before? Your query rings a few bells for me. If we have corresponded before, the following will not be news to you, but it may interest other people on this forum.

A lot of surnames are common on both sides of the Scottish/English border - e.g. Armstrong, Graham, Elliot - but Grahamslaw is actually the name of a hamlet near Kelso, which is probably why the name is of great antiquity in Roxburghshire. The earliest mention of the name that I know of is WILLIAM GRYMSLAW of the parish of Minto, who in 1493 was accused of art and part of the treasonable bringing in of the English of Tynedale, who rustled 100 cows and oxen, 100 sheep, 20 horses and mares, and sundry utensils, furth of Minto. This was the heyday of the Border reivers, of course.

In 1604 a band of Turnbulls were indicted for the slaughter of William, James, John, Robert, Andrew and Thomas GRAHAMSLAW of Little Newton. It's a wonder there were any Grahamslaws left after that bit of ethnic cleansing!

On September 24th., 1710, Alexander GRAEMSLAW of Maxwellheugh, Kelso, was "dilated for bringing in cabbage to his house the last Lord's Day between sermons", and was cited to appear at the next meeting of the kirk session to be disciplined. He may have been a descendant of James GRAHAMSLAW, maltman, and Margaret Sheill, who were married in 1664 at Kelso.

I have loads of stories like this, but coming up to more recent times, another GRAHAMSLAW researcher has assured me that the Border families of that name all descend from one of the following couples:

1. Thomas GRAHAMSLAW and Isabella HALL of Kelso,
2. Ruther and Elspeth GRAHAMSLAW of Jedburgh,
3. William GRAHAMSLAW in Yetholm.

My own ancestors include a pair of 4 x great-grandparents in Kelso called John Stewart (b.1766) and Jean GRAHAMSLAW. I was stuck on Jean for ages until the fellow researcher I mentioned told me of a couple called John GRAHAMSLAW and Elspeth Aitken who were having children at Ednam, nr. Kelso, in the 1760s. As John Stewart and Jean GRAHAMSLAW called their 2nd son John and their 1st daughter Elspeth, I think these are my Jean's parents.

A problem in researching Borderers is that a lot of them didn't belong to the established Church of Scotland, preferring little nonconformist sects like the Secession Church, and these people often didn't bother to register births/baptisms etc. with the parish church authorities, so they are invisible in the official records.

Harry

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,
Welcome to Rootschat :)
Very interesting info you have provided.

Hi Ali,
There is this Mary on the IGI, Extracted;
Mary GRAMSLEY, Birth 29 Dec 1803, Christened 05 Feb 1804, Long Horsley, Northhumberland
Parents;
THOS. Gramsley
Mary DAVISON
She is the only Birth on that Batch.

Marriage IGI Extracted;
Thomas GRAHAMSLEY
Mary DAVISON
04 June 1797, Bedlington, Northumberland

Now where Thos/Mary were having Children 1798-1803 or later is unknown at this stage.
The Thomas Grahamsley I found in 1841 Census may be this one.
And this is the 1851 for him;
1851 Census
Dogger Bank,
Morpeth, Northumberland
HO107/2418/../1
Thomas GRAHAMSLEY, 91, Head, W, Retired Weaver, born Morpeth
Elizabeth Grahamsley, 53, Daug in Law, Widow, born Morpeth
Elizabeth WILSON, 22, Servant, Unm, House Servant, born Morpeth

I have no idea if this is your Family but am posting for future reference for you or others.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
Familysearch Pilot has a Marriage of Hugh COLLINS to Margaret BELL, 10 October 1832, Kelso, Roxburghshire, Scotland
Did Hugh remarry after Marys Death?, I think so.

1841 Census
Woodmarket,
Kelso, Roxburgshire, Scotland
Kelso/2/47/750/
Hugh COLLINS, 40, Gardener Journeyman, born Scotland
Margt, 40, born Roxburghshire
George, 14, born Roxburghshire
MARY, 10, born Roxburghshire
John, 7, born Roxburghshire
John SMITH, 38, Gardener J, born Roxburghshire

By 1851 Margaret is Widowed and is at home with George, 23 and John, 16 both who are Journeyman Gardeners.
Living at Wood Market St No 3
I cant find ant of them after 1851 and could they have emigrated also?