Author Topic: Photography Studio, 48 Lower O'Connell Street.  (Read 3488 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Photography Studio, 48 Lower O'Connell Street.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 May 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
you need to reduce the file size so that the rootschat uploader can accept it - i.e. make the image smaller .. Scans often come out in very high resolution which is useful for checking all the details, but can result in a huge file.

Most photo editors will do this for you - look for a resize option and try to make the image half, or quarter the size. Or you could just copy out the part of the photo with the photographer's name and address, it should be smaller file which might upload for you.

If you cant figure it out. try uploading the back of the photo to your Dublin.ie post - It looks like that forum software automatically reduces the image to a more reasonable size..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Doyley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 May 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Yippee!!!!!!! I managed to crop the part I needed. Hopefully somebody can shed some light.
Kind regards.
Doyley.
Surnames; Doyle, Maguire, Sinclair, Swords, Tate, Lett Tate, McIntosh, Freeman, Cartwright, Byrne.

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 May 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
God that's frustrating! :P

I threw it into Photoshop to see if I could isolate/darken the lettering, but it was having very little effect. I then spent ten minutes holding my laptop at different angles and to me it now looks like it says 'Dempsey's Studios, 48 Lr O'Connell Street', or something similar at least. I can definitely see 'SEYS' at the end.
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Doyley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 May 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Great minds think alike, I too thought it maybe Dempsey's. My eyes are sore from trying to figure it out.
Regards.
A very frustrated Doyley.
Surnames; Doyle, Maguire, Sinclair, Swords, Tate, Lett Tate, McIntosh, Freeman, Cartwright, Byrne.

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 May 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
Doyley

Thoms 1934 shows Dempsey's Studios at No.48. I would have replied earlier but this site has removed my name twice within the last two months. Maybe I should pay the licence fee!!.

Quaxer

Offline Doyley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 May 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so very much Quaxer and all the people who helped me with one of my many dilemmas. What  wonderful people you are. I can now put a rough estimate on my photo. Just as a matter of interest I have posted the front of the photo.
Many thanks again.
Doyley.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 May 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
excellent.. I was beginning to wonder what was going on, when I couldn't find it. Looks like the business didn't stay at the address for all that long... not there in 1927, listed in 1934, and gone by 1938. So just as well that Quaxer had Thom's for the crucial year!

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests